Any love for the old US Property 1911's ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    New to me 1917 mfg Colt. Augusta Arsenal rebuild. The parkerization is still strong, and it looks to have little use since the re-arsenal.

Attachments

• Model of 1911 1917 full left.jpg
      Model of 1911 1917 full left.jpg
      560 KB · Views: 86
    • Model of 1911 1917 full right nice photo composition.jpg
      Model of 1911 1917 full right nice photo composition.jpg
      494.9 KB · Views: 80

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    View attachment 134566

1944 USGI. Has British proof marks. 1911.com thinks it may be a lend/lease unit.
    I had one that was a British Proofed lend/lease. It was also hard chromed like that and some one cut dovetails for sights, added a wide beavertail, and swapped out all the fire control parts and mainspring housing. The only thing they did not do to it was checker the front strap.

In my opinion, they had destroyed the value of the gun but I got it really cheap and soon after traded it off.

Glad to see yours is close to original.

Do you know if the Brits where in the habit of putting the hard chrome on them? Or do you think it was done when the gun hit the commercial market?

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I had one that was a British Proofed lend/lease. It was also hard chromed like that and some one cut dovetails for sights, added a wide beavertail, and swapped out all the fire control parts and mainspring housing. The only thing they did not do to it was checker the front strap.

In my opinion, they had destroyed the value of the gun but I got it really cheap and soon after traded it off.

Glad to see yours is close to original.

Do you know if the Brits where in the habit of putting the hard chrome on them? Or do you think it was done when the gun hit the commercial market?
    Hard to say. My dad told me that he bought it from a wino for $100, probably around '66-'67. He carried it on the job and I inherited it when he passed.

I shot my initial CHP qualifications with it 10 years ago. It made a fist sized hole in the 9-10 ring.

Although it is my favorite firearm, I have retired it and EDC a P-229 in 357 SIG now, but I still enjoy shooting it.

It has never had any issues except it doesn't like hollow points.

Top Bottom