Any Marlin Model 60 Owners?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hdsprstr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Welsh
    I am a owner of a Marlin model 60. I need some advice as too when others clean their rifle. Do you clean after a certain number of rounds? length of time? etc.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I have one about 27 yrs old. has the 18rnd tube mag. i think i've done a full strip cleaning (pull trigger pack, etc) twice. that thing has digested many thousands of rounds of whatever garbage was cheapest at the time without so much as a hickup. just like my hk's! ;)

machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    I have one about 27 yrs old. has the 18rnd tube mag. i think i've done a full strip cleaning (pull trigger pack, etc) twice. that thing has digested many thousands of rounds of whatever garbage was cheapest at the time without so much as a hickup. just like my hk's! ;)

Same here. I am scared to really clean it, it might fall apart.:mamoru:

MALIBU12

Rating - 100%
    71   0   2
    Sep 16, 2008
    slidell

What he said on the cleaning! mine is 24 yr old and also has the 18 rnd tube also.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville

Same here. I have an 18 rounder with the squirrel engravings that was my dad's.

I clean it after every outing just like my other guns. :D

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Just to clarify, i do run a brush and pad through the barrel, i just don't break down the trigger/chamber until thw crud gets to a point where it won't let the bold hold open. ;) :D

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    This was my first rifle, got a used one for my 10th birthday. It's over 50 years old and still plinks away like a champ. And I beat the CRAP out of that thing through my early years. So I wouldn't stress the cleaning much...maybe every 500-1000 rounds.

downsoutthak

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    sunset
    be careful what you clean them with. my marlins feed throat/ejector eroded away. whatever cleaning chemical i uesed ate it away. i guess i didnt wipe it off good enough. the ejector is a piece of some type of cast potmetal. i wish they made them better back in the day. i see midway usa has a updated retrofit kit available, but you have to use a new bolt.

Unit505

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2010
    I clean my stainless model 60 as soon as the slide starts hanging up. Probably 500 rounds and it gets a squirt of rem oil spray in the slide. Bulk ammo really gums it up, so I have to get the carbon build up cleaned out really well. I've probably got 10,000 rounds through it and never done more than emptying a can of rem oil spray into it and scrubbing with a tooth brush and swabbing the barrel. You'll pretty much know when a good cleaning is due as I said when the slide won't operate smoothly. I've got the dragonov stock and two tube mag speed loaders and love the model 60.

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Bought one for my brother as his first gun. The trigger is long enough and gritty enough that you don't have to worry about an "oops".

I also didn't bother with cleaning it. I HATE not having a removable trigger group.

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell

Same here. Mine's of 1980 vintage, I bought it new myself.

Many tens of thousands of rounds with maybe two good cleanings.

Remove the stock and spray with gun scrubber, clean the bore, and shoot again.

dogbaron

Long Ago and Far Away
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 18, 2009
    Prairieville, LA
    I have one that was made for Western Auto. It is marked "Revelation Model 120". I bought it a couple of days after JFK was killed in Dallas in 1963. Many thousands of rounds have gone through it. Back then I could buy a brick of Federal .22LR for about $5 through my dad's store and there were many, many more places to shoot so Sunday afternoons were spent behind the levee in Smoke Bend burning up amminition with my future wife. I have taken it down completely about 4 times in all those years. I would clean the bore and the parts of the receiver that could be cleaned by opening the action.

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    While I don't have the mdl 60, I do have the mdl 70 (magazine fed). Are you really supposed to clean them? I think I squited some double dee fotay on it once. Remember.....it's not a Ruger.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom