Any mechanics here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If it's worse in cold weather it's definitely the intake gaskets. Been reading a little more on it, since I have a 5.3L Vortec in our Yukon and I guess I can look forward to this as well. Looks like the gaskets are around $90, while the dealership charges around $700 for the job. I'll definitely be dusting off the wrenches for this one!

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    I called ahead. You can get a set for $40 from Advance Auto Parts and you can probably find a local mechanic to replace them for MUCH cheaper.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I would make sure if you do it yourself or get someone to do it for you to get the right gaskets. The crap that came on the Chevy is the problem. They have after market gaskets I think made by Fel-Pro that fixed GM's shitty gasket problems.
    My buddy has change lots of them with the redesigned gaskets.

I'll ask my buddy tomorrow which gasket it is.

littlebob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I have an 01 Suburban with the same engine and symptoms and an Inspection sticker due at the end of the month!
    Why does all my stuff go south when the north comes to us? I hate working in the cold.
    I'm also losing a small amount of coolant and that may explain that too.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    I'm glad I stumbled on this thread. I have an 01 Suburban with the same engine and symptoms and an Inspection sticker due at the end of the month!
    Why does all my stuff go south when the north comes to us? I hate working in the cold.

Look at the mounting gaskets for the waterpump. 90% of the leaks I check are there.

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007

Lol, not everything fails at winter. i had the water pump go out in my blazer a year ago in the middle of the summer. I rather work in the cold vs work on a hot engine in the heat of the summer.

To the OP, good luck and hope the intake gaskets fix the problem. I know on the 4.3 v6 the intake gaskets are an issue as well.

sylvest

Come and Take It
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Denham Springs
    Just got it back. Replaced the intake gasket and both knock sensors while the intake was off. Truck runs much better and no more check engine light. Hope this helps yall as well.

Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    No Head Gasket Problems Here

My ride requires some carberator cleaner 6 plugs and a belt.

The only check engine light I have to worry about is when a lady friend has a few to many adult beverages then I may have a head problem???

1963FordFalcon002.jpg

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    My ride requires some carberator cleaner 6 plugs and a belt.

The only check engine light I have to worry about is when a lady friend has a few to many adult beverages then I may have a head problem???

1963FordFalcon002.jpg

What?? No 24"s Snookie?? I'm disappointed! :D:D

Actually thats a cool ride ya got there man! Ah the good old days! :)

Bam Bam

littlebob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Glad you got it licked! I had Autozone test mine and came up with codes P0300 random misfire and P1404 EGR valve. I'm going to try and clean the EGR valve first, but may have to do the same intake route you took.

Top Bottom