Any one have this problem? Para Ordinence

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jdalton

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Have a para warthog and nite hog, both with 3in barels. I love the feel and weight; but they jam ALL THE TIME! I cant trust my life with a weapon that i know will jam. Ive been shooting winchester fmj and hollowpts. Any help?

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    I shot a match recently with a well known local gunsmith who was shooting with a personal owned older model Kimber 3" , same problems, he tried everything and was going to trade off the pistol, maybe its a problem with custom 3 inch 1911's

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I had a Colt Officers 1911. I had to change the recoil springs every year even if it hadn't been shot a lot. I spoke to guy on another forum who worked for Colt during the time when they developed the Officer's Model. He said that for many reasons I no longer remember the shorter slide 1911's will never be as reliable as a government issue 1911. By that he meant looser toleranced 1911s not the hypertight ones regularly sold today. This was what I was told. I no longer own any 1911's and have no horse in this race.

Dave

Jdalton

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Ill try a new spring. Jst found it odd that my compacts did this and not my full size. Thanx fellas.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    3 inch 1911's are known for heaving problems, that the reasson why Para introduced the super power spring which makes them "cycle" correctly, I had a Para Carry Revision 2 and she was reliable with the new spring.

Also check the mouth of your barrel, it might be that it is not wide enough to feed the HP's, most 1911's will feed a round nouse bullet perfectly but once you put something with a flat surface in it they jam, you might want to also polish the feed ramp to help out with that

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The problem is, once you've shrunk the barrel down past 4 inches, you've compressed the action to a point where there is only just barely enough time to get that big ole .45 round stripped from the magazine and shoved into the chamber. Go pull out a full size 1911 and lock back the slide; look through the ejection port from the top down. Notice how far back the slide is - I bet you can even see the top of the disconnector sticking up from the grip. Now do the same with one of your 3" guns. Notice how far back the slide goes in comparision - just to the back of the magazine. This leaves almost no room for error.

Jdalton

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Ive searched for the super power springs with no luck. Cld ya give me a link on where to find em? Thanks

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I had gotten my first setup directly from Para, I remember I also had to upgrade the extractor since mine used a really weird design that was a 2 piece rod with a spring in the middle, my Para Carry was built quite a few years back so Im not sure if its something they even sell any more.

I have gotten out of the 1911 world now and only kept about 4 in the collection the smallest one being 4"

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The problem is, once you've shrunk the barrel down past 4 inches, you've compressed the action to a point where there is only just barely enough time to get that big ole .45 round stripped from the magazine and shoved into the chamber. Go pull out a full size 1911 and lock back the slide; look through the ejection port from the top down. Notice how far back the slide is - I bet you can even see the top of the disconnector sticking up from the grip. Now do the same with one of your 3" guns. Notice how far back the slide goes in comparision - just to the back of the magazine. This leaves almost no room for error.

Exactly. My Wilson Sentinel (3.5" barrel) had to go back to Wilson twice before it ran right, and that's a hand built gun. They also recommended the recoil spring be changed VERY often. Like you said...NO room for error.

Forget about a mass produced gun. If you get one that works 90% of the time you are lucky.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Common problem-- to a large percentage of people who own 3" 1911's.

The EMP doesn't seem to suffer from it nearly as often. Probably because it cheats and doesn't use an actual 1911 caliber.

If I were going to tote a 1911, it'd be Commander size.

Ryan316

My way or the highway
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Kenner, LA
    I have a Carry 9 that doesn't like the real cheap ammo. I put WWB & hollow points in it & it works fine. While these other suggestions will most likely fix your problem, I just thought I'd bring the ammo issue up in case you still have problems. I also got a 12:45 LDA a few months ago, also with a 3.5 barrel & it eats up everything.

chibajoe

Pratertium terminus est
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 29, 2007
    New Orleans
    If you're in southern LA, drop me a PM and I'll be glad to look at them for you, I've got TONS of experience with the baby Paras.

Top Bottom