Any Opthalmalogists recommended in Mandeville/Covington?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    I'm due for an eye exam, and would like to also get a good prescription that will allow these 57 year old eyes to see the front sight and still acquire NRA targets at 100, 200, 300, and 600 yards.

Does anyone know of an opthalmalogist who will work on this and allow me to bring my AR15 (in the carrying case, of course--black guns scare folks!) to the office?

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    None of the Ophthalmologists in that area would allow you to bring in your gun for your exam.

why would you even think to bring an AR into any MD's office for a visit?

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I'm due for an eye exam, and would like to also get a good prescription that will allow these 57 year old eyes to see the front sight and still acquire NRA targets at 100, 200, 300, and 600 yards.

Does anyone know of an opthalmalogist who will work on this and allow me to bring my AR15 (in the carrying case, of course--black guns scare folks!) to the office?

None of the Ophthalmologists in that area would allow you to bring in your gun for your exam.

why would you even think to bring an AR into any MD's office for a visit?

Wow.

JR1572

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie

Maybe im confused?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    There's a shooter doctor I think in the Slidell area that may work with you.
    I'm not sure how to spell his last name. Steve Zegar. I used to shoot silhouette with him years ago. My brother uses him. May be worth checking.

It takes an eye doctor familiar with our needs as a shooter to understand how to find the right correction needed. I've heard of some who will allow what you are asking........by special appointment of course.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Dr. Kieth Cangelosi in Covington. Yes you can bring your rifle; however, my study of eye issues indicates that you want your focus to be at 2X the distance from your eye to the front sight. For an AR that distance is 42" to 44". This will allow you to focus on the front sight and give you enough target to see and aim. If you want to learn more, contact Art at http://www.shootingsight.com . My perfect prescription to focus on the front sight of an AR is +1.25; however, I cannot see the target with it. My current lens is a +.62 and I can shoot a 20 round string at 600 without eye fatigue.

You also need to have your prescription to the nearest 1/8 diopter (most prescriptions are to the nearest 1/4). You want to get your sight as perfect as possible at infinity, then work on your prescription for your front sight. It will be your infinity prescription with some + added.

Dan

NOLA - you want to bring your gun so you can have it there for a reference. Many Dr.s will allow it if you ask and set your appointment last thing in the day.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I know every Ophthalmologist personally in S. LA and MS.

There are some that are very pro-gun, but none in that area that I was aware of.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I have done it with at least 3 in the New Orleans area that I can recall. I know others who have also. Just don't try to do it at a university facility.

zombiekiller

dissipator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2007
    gulfport
    Ran in to the same problem a couple of months ago with my new prescription, i shoot iron sights on my AR and got to where i couldnt hit the 220yd flash target in the 3 gun. Took me about a month to solve it, i shoot off my left shoulder so i kept my right eye with my new prescription and cut my left eye down to less than halve what its prescription should be. I started at the full power and then started droping it a .25 diopter at a time till i got it where i could see both.
    I shoot with both eyes open anyway rifle or pistol but now i see the front post sharp & clear and i can see the target clear also. It was easy for me to experiment with because i work in an optical lab.

Last edited:

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Ran in to the same problem a couple of months ago with my new prescription, i shoot iron sights on my AR and got to where i couldnt hit the 220yd flash target in the 3 gun. Took me about a month to solve it, i shoot off my left shoulder so i kept my right eye with my new prescription and cut my left eye down to less than halve what its prescription should be. I started at the full power and then started droping it a .25 diopter at a time till i got it where i could see both.
    I shoot with both eyes open anyway rifle or pistol but now i see the front post sharp & clear and i can see the target clear also. It was easy for me to experiment with because i work in an optical lab.

I shoot with Knobloch glasses and have a lens in every diopter from +.25 to +.75 including clear, violet and orange for different light conditions. Sometimes colors will give a target more contrast. It is very easy to change lenses in my glasses.

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    Thanks! I had heard there was a high power rifle shooter who was an Opthalmalogist in Covington, but didn't know who it was.

Checked and he is in the TRICARE PRIME network--will call tomorrow.

:)

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    Called Dr. Cangelosi's office and have the appointment set. And the receptionist recommended I bring the rifle in!

Will be in a hard-side case, and is last appointment of the day.

Thanks!

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    I have done it with at least 3 in the New Orleans area that I can recall. I know others who have also. Just don't try to do it at a university facility.

There are some in the NOLA area that have some nice "collections". I can't afford to drop $60,000+ on individual guns, but certainly nice to have the invite to bugout if the SHTF.

CaptWSims

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Mandeville, LA
    Had the eye exam by Dr. Cangelosi this evening. No issues at all with the rifle (had in the hard case). First he did all the checking for eye health, then prescription for regular glasses, reading glasses, contact lenses, and then shooting glasses.

He put a reduced target at the end of a hallway and kept changing lens for my right eye until I got the sight pic I liked best, with front sight clear and target a bit fuzzy.

He spent an hour and a half doing all this, making sure he had it right, down to the 1/8 diopter. All TRICARE Prime is paying for is a routine comprehensive exam, and he went well beyond routine! I would heartily recommend him to any shooter, or anyone else.

For the record, my shooting prescription is + 0.63 diopter compared to my regular glasses. Found out after the exam that's exactly the same differential Dan had.

Now if I could only shoot like Dan! :)

Top Bottom