Any other bullet casters here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I cast. I started about a year or so ago. Right now I only cast .38/.357 and .44, because I'm in law school and too poor and short on time to expand my operation. I'm lucky to shoot once every two months these days, much less get any serious loading done. I think I am going to cast a few thousand .38 bullets over the christmas break.

I only use wheel weights, and will occasionally toss a bar of 50/50 bar solder in with 10 1lb ingots to get 20-to-1 (ish) alloy.

My friend and reloading/casting mentor has about 3 55-gallon drums full of wheel weights. He started me off with a 3 gallon bucket of them to take home. Melted them into ingots and ended up with 55 pounds. I've only gone through about a third of those so far, since I don't have much time. I always pick up wheel weights that I see on the street, though. I figure if I walked around town for an hour or so with I keen eye I could probably find a few pounds of them. Don't really need to, though, because my friend says he has enough wheel weights to last the both of us the rest of our lives.

Beretta687

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    New to the site and I do cast and have been for a number of years. First deer shot with my then new Marlin 1895ss was with a cast bullet. Nice to take any game with ammo you crafted but it's even better when you make the boolit!

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    I did years ago in college back when I thought a 30 cal ammo can with 6-8 boxes of ammo (300-400 rds) was plenty. Still have the pot and molds tucked away somewhere and used liguid Alox. When I do get to shoot that's not even enough for a good afternoon worth of shooting. Much rather buy at this point, and the little green ones definitely have peaked my interest, but it's definitely time well spent if you have it available...

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    casting

someone must have the arm of a gorilla to use 10 cavity H&G.I have used a 6 cavity when I was much younger,now I use lee 6 cavity.I have a couple of lyman 45 lubers but use lee bullet sizing dies with TL.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I did some casting years ago and got away from it until earlier this year when I decided to jump back in in a big way. I started stockpiling alloy, mostly wheel weights but also some #2 and pure plus a good amount of solder.
    I how cast for 22, 7mm, 30, 32, 35 rifle, 357, 40, 44, 45 pistol and 45 rifle with several different weights in most calibers. I have a 20 lb bottom pour furnace and use a lubrisizer. I have tried the liquid alox and didn't like it.
    I now formulate my own lube. I've used my bullets and lube in silhouette competition this year with good results. Also took a buck this year with my cast out of a 358 Win. That bullet is one that I designed myself and had made from Mountain Molds. It weighs 260gr lubed and gaschecked. I'm getting over 2000fps with no bore leading and some groups of near 1" at 100 yards. Performance on the deer was good, he dropped in his tracks. It's very satisfying to hunt with bullets you make yourself. I currently have a new custom mold on order for my 45-70 to hunt with next year.

LouisianaMan

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Just started casting last summer; have reloaded since 2003 or so; have been shooting since about. . .1970?

I cast for .32SWL/.32HRM/.327 Fed Mag, .38 SPL (and hopefully .38 S&W), and .45LC.

I use WW--anybody know of a source of pure lead in the B.R. area? I want to soften my alloy for several of these rounds. I use LLA; also got less smoke & less leading when I thinned it w/mineral spirits.

My molds are all Lee at this point. Great results w/.32 LRN, LSWC, and LFP (but must try to "beagle" the last-named to increase from .309 specs to about .311+). Ditto for .38 LSWC that drops WW at .355-.356--will also try adding tin, and would like to add lead b/c WW diameter is typically smallest according to Fryxell. My .358 200g LRN is a beaut! I also have fine results with .452 230g and 255g.

Top Bottom