Any other gracie jiu jitsu guys out there?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lefty

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Hattiesburg, MS
    just wondering if there was anyone else here who practiced the art. i started a year ago but have had to take the past 2 months off due to school. Was supposed to start back next week, but had a 700 dollar repair bill on my truck last week.

spicoli.j

Bowling Pin Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 14, 2006
    Houma
    Been training at Blacklist in Houma/Matthews for about 6 mo. Gabe Barahona(brown belt under Ricardo Liborio) and Derrick Breaux(purple belt under Tim Credeur) are great instructors.

Evolution BJJ

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    BJJ in Houma, LA

At Evolution Jiu Jitsu of Houma, we offer BJJ classes. I got my black belt under David Camarillo out in San Jose, CA, and he got his black belt from Ralph Gracie. You can check out our program at: www.evolutiontraining.org

Ernest "Waffle" Ellender, PhD

S

seanscythe

We also teach this in gonzales at Molley's Taekwondo Plus, We are moving into a new larger building this week and we have Kid Jitsu and also for Adults. This isn't MMA teaching it's more focused on technique and less of getting the crap beat out of you. We start allowing free grappling at yellow belt.

We have 7 Instructors and 3 classes a week, tuesday are for Kids 12 and younger. Thursday for Adults 13 and up, the Saturday class is for mixed Kids and Adults. Split into groups adults never train with kids.

Miltonite

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2008
    Lafayette
    Looks like I am the lone judoka here. No BJJ for me I am a judo kid. So the basics are the same but fights are completely different.

legg86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Tickfaw, LA
    I've done a bit of combatives training in the Army, most of that is Gracie stuff. enough to get my Butt kicked up one side the mat and down the other. Pretty hard core, honestly, but I don't know how the civillian programs would stack up in comparison. I actually just got some information on a thing called S.P.E.A.R., I have absolutely no idea if it's really any good or available to the general public, but I'll let you know if anyone is interested. On the gracie topic, there is another school in Springfield, LA, headed up by a Baptist preacher, of all things. He is really good though.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    ^I do a little judo too, sort of..

Mainly I've been training bjj pretty consistently with/under Tim Credeur since Jan 06. Been working on throws here and there with Doug Fornet during that time too, though never getting too serious with it until about 6 months ago.

I'd say now I'm at that point where a skilled judoka will still throw me easy, but I'm pretty comfortable throwing the average jitser who plays with nothing on his feet except a bad single/double or pulling guard. Sort of a land of the blind/man with one eye thing, if you know what I mean?

You know Mancuso?

firesafety3

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    Gonzales, Louisiana
    My son fought for about a year and was a hell of a fighter. He graduated, got a full time job, and really never gets back to the gym to fight. He really loved it but responsibility and the possibility of an injury putting him out of work seemed to win over. Pretty smart guy.

Here's the only video I have of him fighting. It was his first tournment. He asked if I was going to film his fight. All I had was my digital camera and I told him to make it quick because I didn't have much room for video on the camera. All he said was "Yes, sir."

The tournament was in Kingwood, Texas and the guy he was fighting was 30 and had been training for three years. I believe this tournament was put on by the Battenburg fighting school. Great folks from everywhere in the south.

The guy Ryan fights here ended up with a separated shoulder and a broken fibula. You can hear it snap in the video. He was very gracious and sat alongside the mat for every one of Ryan's next bouts and cheered him on. It's a great sport with alot of sportsmanship.

Watch the lady's face by the scoreboard. She can't figure out what just happened. Mr. Battenburg was the scorer for this bout and walks around to get a better look at what happened.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ13P--Iz4o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ13P--Iz4o[/ame]

Last edited:

Company Man

Teufel Hunden
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Kentwood
    New school has opened up in Walker area, off hwy 449. Haven't been there yet but just wanted to share with everyone. Appears they are MMA style from what I was reading.

Grady

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    S.E. La.
    Yes, I started in 2002 but had to give it up because of injuries. Both of my kids are still involved. My 18 yr old teaches for Gracie Barra Hammond Under Black Belt Rafael Ellwanger and Gracie Barra Ponchatoula. If you are in the area and are interested in training give Blake a call (985) 351-4600

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Ive done a few seminars of it, mostly trained Hawaian Kenpo then transitioned into American Kenpo and had a monthly seminar of diferent arts to become a more complete fighter (Kali, Escrima, Judo, BJJ) have been out of it for 5 years though due to knee injuries, but one day things will happen for the best again.

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    What a coincidence that this thread popped up. I am looking for somewhere to do some kind of martial arts training for a beginner adult.

ETA: In the Baton Rouge area... forgot to add that.

Last edited:

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Wow,,before I was injured I was looking for a good class in the New Orleans area. When I was a kid,,,I took classes,,,went for years but never really stuck with it. Ray Mura ( Or Muro ?) was our instructor. He was a heck of a good guy and had a great class. It was fun.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Anyone in New Orleans should contact Matheis Meister at NOLABJJ. He trained with some of the old school Gracie guys and is quite an instructor.

Top Bottom