Any place of interest to eat in Baton Rouge?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    Greetings. Going to be in Baton Rouge tomorrow and would like to try something different for lunch other than the usual chinese, and bbq places. Going to be around gov't street and taking i-10 back to NOLA. Anything along the way? Sandwich shops probably aren't interesting enough unless they've got something really different.
    Maybe Tai or Siamese, vietnames, spanish, etc. Just looking for idea. It's hard to go through urbanspoon and not know what's what. Thanks!

ETA: something cheap or decent priced around $10. Not looking at a complete sit down three course meal, etc. Buffet is fine, but not chinese.

Last edited:

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    A couple places on Gov. St is:
    Byronz Bistro (very very good)
    Superior Grill (mexican)
    Circa 1857 (lunch only)
    Fleur De Lis pizza (get the shrimp pizza) it's cash only too

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    A couple places on Gov. St is:
    Byronz Bistro (very very good)
    Superior Grill (mexican)
    Circa 1857 (lunch only)
    Fleur De Lis pizza (get the shrimp pizza) it's cash only too

I approve:

Fleur De Lis Pizza. Bring cash and be aware that soft drinks are not free refill.
    Superior Grill (Fajitas all the way).

and

Jambalaya Shop

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    +1 for Bistro Byronz. I don't know what all the fuss is about with Fleur De Lis, unless you're particular to terrible service. Pastimes has much better pizza IMO. Two excellent italian restaurants in the area: Monjunis and DeJulio Brothers. Coyote Blues, which is right off I-10 on Acadian, is a good Mexican restaurant that puts a spin on their dishes and has a few interesting ones (Superior is great traditional Mexican). There's a pretty good French restaurant called Brandt's. Again heading down I-10, on Essen there is a good Indian restaurant called India's and a sushi restaurant called Ichiban. Once you get past that it's mostly traditional and chain restaurants.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    He said interesting!

Don Howard, the best kept secret for elegance, atmosphere, ambience, and food quality superiority is without peer, Latil's of Houma House at Burnside Plantation. It is unbelievably underpriced for the expereince and the food quality. There lunch pricing is no more than some of the s**tholes around the city that everyone up here thinks is the greatest food in the world!

On your way back to New Orleans, take Hwy 44 (Exit 179) south (next exit after Cabela's), to River Road and take a right there. Go about 1/2 mile on your right and DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED; unless you are cheap bastard!

I assure you, your search for interesting will not be a let down.

Now I will echo the sentiments that Fluer De Lis is off the scale good pizza. But, remember; you said interesting.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Since you'll be right by the bridge, if you don't mind heading across the river check out either of these places:

Couyon's Cajun BBQ
    - AWESOME smoked brisket! All of their side items are better than average, much more than just filler! Try the hot wings or cornish hen - they smoke them and flash-fry upon order, served with bbq sauce or hot wing sauce. I go to this place a lot!

Bergeron's Cajun Meats - Standard Cajun fare (crawfish pies/pistolettes, boudin, boudin balls, hog head cheese, etc.), daily lunch specials, burgers/po-boys to order. Everything on the menu is awesome!!!

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    He said interesting!

Don Howard, the best kept secret for elegance, atmosphere, ambience, and food quality superiority is without peer, Latil's of Houma House at Burnside Plantation. It is unbelievably underpriced for the expereince and the food quality. There lunch pricing is no more than some of the s**tholes around the city that everyone up here thinks is the greatest food in the world!

On your way back to New Orleans, take Hwy 44 (Exit 179) south (next exit after Cabela's), to River Road and take a right there. Go about 1/2 mile on your right and DO NOT BE INTIMIDATED; unless you are cheap bastard!

Now I will echo the sentiments that Fluer De Lis is off the scale good pizza. But, remember; you said interesting.

Houma's House is great. Entrees top out around $40. About 10 min. out of your way.

SR-NOLA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    NOLA
    Don't forget about Twin Peaks....maybe light on taste, but makes up for it in scenery.:love:

Don Howard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 12, 2011
    west nawlins
    He said interesting!

We're not going to be dressed up to enter a place that has 'ambiance' and 'atmosphere.' In fact, we're gonna be driving and have to park a 16' box truck. Sounds like a place I'd take my parents so they can experience something other than mike anderson's- which I chose to boycott. And yeah, pizza isn't something interesting or out the norm.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    We're not going to be dressed up to enter a place that has 'ambiance' and 'atmosphere.' In fact, we're gonna be driving and have to park a 16' box truck. Sounds like a place I'd take my parents so they can experience something other than mike anderson's- which I chose to boycott. And yeah, pizza isn't something interesting or out the norm.

No dress code, just no tank tops or flip flops and you should be okay! And there will be room to park the truck!

You are making excuses! :nono:

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Not for lunch! :eek4:

Comparable to any hash house here in Baton Rouge!

Yeah, but the most interesting entrees are on the dinner menu. From what I've eaten, the lunch menu is pretty typical (yet well prepared) food for the region with the exception of a good lunch special from time to time. But yes, lunch can be had for up to $25.

And Don, casual clothing is fine. Half of their patrons for lunch are in their plant jump-suits, albeit clean ones.

If you're trying to stay closer to govt. and the interstate, most of the restaurants above are good.

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Yeah, but the most interesting entrees are on the dinner menu. From what I've eaten, the lunch menu is pretty typical (yet well prepared) food for the region with the exception of a good lunch special from time to time.

Yes, Foie Gras with a nice bottle of Chardonnay is probably not in high demand when the plant guys come strolling in for lunch. :p And escargot, forget it!

However, if Chef Jeremy is running his signature pumpkin and crab bisque for lunch, it is to die for!

aard3

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2010
    Mandeville, LA
    Greetings. Going to be in Baton Rouge tomorrow and would like to try something different for lunch other than the usual chinese, and bbq places. Going to be around gov't street and taking i-10 back to NOLA. Anything along the way? Sandwich shops probably aren't interesting enough unless they've got something really different.
    Maybe Tai or Siamese, vietnames, spanish, etc. Just looking for idea. It's hard to go through urbanspoon and not know what's what. Thanks!

ETA: something cheap or decent priced around $10. Not looking at a complete sit down three course meal, etc. Buffet is fine, but not chinese.

Superior Grill. It's on Government st... the lunch is probably around 10-15 bucks... best fajitas.
    If you feel like going closer to campus, there is always Chimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom