Any recommendations for alternative to Cox internet?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JCU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    I've had Cox internet in Baton Rouge for 2 1/2 years. It was never spectacular, but always bearable until I moved into the apartment I live in now. It would drop connection ATLEAST once a day, and I'd have to reset the modem. Although frustrating, I could deal with that until resetting the modem would not work. I'd call customer service, and they would "try to fix it" from their computers, then end up sending a tech out. One tech told me I had a bad splitter, replaced the splitter, got it working momentarily, and left. Of course, that wasn't the true problem. I then had a tech come out and replace all the wires in my wall, saying that they were old and that was the cause of my bad connection. After that, my internet connection was no better. Then Cox told me i needed to bypass the splitter, thus not having cable in my living room. That didn't fix it. Then Cox told me that my modem was several years old and that is why my connection is so horrible. I then went out and dropped like $100 on a new modem. After my internet STILL wasn't working as it should, cox sent a 3rd tech out who informed me that if all of my wires were replaced and I had a brand new modem, there was nothing I could do. I was paying $40 a month (after a $15 a month student discount!) to spend hours on the phone dealing with their crap. Eventually, I cancelled it, and now have no internet access at home.

I'm now looking for alternatives. Any recommendations?
    I was looking at AT&T and Verizon mobile hotspots, but apparently they have data caps, and I've read threads of people saying Verizon claims you are using more data than you are in order to charge you more money for exceeding the caps. People even claim that they get charged for data usage when their device is turned off.
    I've heard little about AT&T mobile hotspots.
    AT&T U-verse apparently isn't available in my area.
    So i've no idea where to turn!

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Your only real options for high speed internet are Cable and DSL. Cable is much faster than DSL but also more unreliable. Also Cable slows down a bit during the prime time usage areas (so after 5 and on weekends).

If you're going to go with DSL you might as well go with AT&T Uverse. It was the best DSL I've had as far as speed and reliability.

Just keep crossing your fingers that Google fiber catches on.

Blah just read where you said Uverse wasn't available. That's horseshit. What you should do is run your own RG6 cable from the box outside to your modem and test that way. That way there's no splitters, there's no internal cable to interfere, it's just a direct run from what Cox owns to your modem. If you still have problems, demand they fix the problems to your box outside as there's no possible way at that point it's something on your end. We used to have problems like this when I worked for I-55 where AT&T would keep blaming our equipment or the customer wiring and it ended up being a bad port at the DSLAM or bad wires on the poles.

Last edited:

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I had a similar problem with Suddenlink. They swore that they were delivering the proper signal. Went thru a lot of the same things you did, but finally fixed it by installing a signal booster on the incoming line. Got it for around $45 at Best Buy.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Depending on what complex you live in, Cox might be the only option.

I wanted to get on with UVerse but it's not offered where I live.

Also, I only have internet from Cox, have had issues once or twice and it was solved when a tech came out and determined a rodent chewed thru the wires.

Although I'm a little mad right now, I just got my bill and it went up without an explanation.

ddeacon1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Slidell, LA
    I had Charter for several years and constantly lost connection both internet and HD. I have been on U-verse for about 2 years and have had zero problems.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you have all new wires and assuming that the wires were crimped/terminated properly, a signal booster isn't going to help you any. A signal stability issue probably exists in the Cox main distribution pedestal serving your zip code, most likely from customer allocation overload.

Since you canceled your service (and I'm assuming returned the hardware) I can't do any useful diagnostics for you. If by chance you still have the modem hooked up, click this link

http://192.168.100.1/

and copy/paste the information from the Signal and Log screens.

If it comes down to it and you need a new provider, I'd recommend Millenicom Wireless (http://millenicom.com/plans/). They run on 4G networks and if you talk to their support I'm pretty sure you can get set up on a 50GB/mo plan.

Last edited:

wiliermdb

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 12, 2014
    Prairieville, LA
    Move to Ascension and get Eatel. I know that's a far stretch. I've never liked COX. I always hear people taking about issues with them. After Gustave I had enternet and TV while my neighbors who had cox lost theres for 2 to 3 days.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    We have had cox in Sherwood forest and never an issue, always fast, always works..
    when att fiber came in a few months ago, both neighbors on each side of me were early to jump. I see the att service vehicles about once a week.. the service is unreliable, not true HD, and slows down when watching tv..

I like my service with cox.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    ATT ran fiber to their residences? I've never heard of that, is that something new?

Not new, but somewhat uncommon. It's called Fiber To The Premises (FTTP), utilizing a passive fiber splitter to send signal to 6-8 residences at a time. This service should not be confused with U-Verse, which runs a fiber trunk to a pedestal then distributes it over single or bonded pair copper (much faster than FTTP).

U-Verse TV doesn't slow down your internet unless the line capacity leaves less than 32Mbps service speed overhead (for instance, you get a 32/6 plan on a line that can only handle 53/8).

Last edited:

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    How much Internet do you need?

I went from 5-10 gigs on my cell (teathering) for $5

For $70 you can get 20 gigs (I'll look up the company when I have more time) with a wireless hotspot with no contract many RV ers use.

There's satalite, but they also have caps

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Not new, but somewhat uncommon. It's called Fiber To The Premises (FTTP), utilizing a passive fiber splitter to send signal to 6-8 residences at a time. This service should not be confused with U-Verse, which runs a fiber trunk to a pedestal then distributes it over single or bonded pair copper (much faster than FTTP).

U-Verse TV doesn't slow down your internet unless the line capacity leaves less than 32Mbps service speed overhead (for instance, you get a 32/6 plan on a line that can only handle 53/8).

I do not know how ATT is delivering it to be honest, it might very well be fiber to the prem, but likely just to the neighborhood ped. I was astonished at how shitty it was.. I was installing fttp 10 years ago and it didnt work, I cant believe they are still trying to deliver it that way.. OH, well part of our problem was they installed all the electronics in the ditch.. when it rained, they got flooded..

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I do not know how ATT is delivering it to be honest, it might very well be fiber to the prem, but likely just to the neighborhood ped. I was astonished at how shitty it was.. I was installing fttp 10 years ago and it didnt work, I cant believe they are still trying to deliver it that way.. OH, well part of our problem was they installed all the electronics in the ditch.. when it rained, they got flooded..

ATT scrapped FTTP upgrades when U-Verse started rolling out. Everyone with FTTP is not going to get any upgrades (due to U-Verse being cheaper and easier to maintain). Even prior queued installs of FTTP were halted, with fiber stubs ending in front yards without so much as a whisper.

The major issue with U-Verse rolling out is that while many of ATT's pedestals have fiber run to them already, the pedestal hardware is not being updated until it fails. Most of the new U-Verse sectors have hiccups for a few weeks until ATT gets a field technician to replace the antique F-cards (the cards that translate fiber to telephone/dsl single pair) with newer K-cards. They're going to have to do this all over again (N-cards) when they roll out the new 17mhz profiles, as the K-cards are only stable with the current 8mhz profiles. I managed to burn up an F-card inside the first 30 minutes I had bonded pair installed.

Top Bottom