Any recommendations for alternative to Cox internet?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sounds like someone is using a wireless card on a laptop that supports external antennas. This would allow one to borrow open wireless internet from nearby homes/businesses for free.

JCU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Ended up with Cox again.. It is the only thing that is affordable enough for me. I had to spend a couple hours with them on the phone to get it working initially, and since the process didn't run smoothly and I was returning after not being satisfied, they gave me 50% off for the first 6 months and no contract. So as long as it continues to work (knock on wood), I'll be pleased.

Thanks all for the input. Hopefully AT&T Uverse spreads and Google Fiber catches on so there is competition aside from mobile hotspots and overpriced DSL (everywhere i looked had less than 1/2 the speed for more expensive).

JCU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Less than 24 hours went by before the internet stopped working and I had to spend several hours on the phone with them, all to result in a tech coming tomorrow. They also tried to charge me $60 for the tech visit, but I spoke to the supervisor and told him to send a tech at no charge or cancel my services immediately. He decided to waive the charge. I unscrewed the plate on my wall and found a splitter in right inside to split me and my neighbor's wire from wherever it is coming from. I hooked my modem directly to that splitter and managed to get it working temporarily... Cox is a nightmare.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Less than 24 hours went by before the internet stopped working and I had to spend several hours on the phone with them, all to result in a tech coming tomorrow. They also tried to charge me $60 for the tech visit, but I spoke to the supervisor and told him to send a tech at no charge or cancel my services immediately. He decided to waive the charge. I unscrewed the plate on my wall and found a splitter in right inside to split me and my neighbor's wire from wherever it is coming from. I hooked my modem directly to that splitter and managed to get it working temporarily... Cox is a nightmare.

Ok, what would be helpful for you to do is to go to http://192.168.100.1/ and copy-paste the signal information from the signal status page, then copy-paste the service log from the logging page. If I can see both your up and your downstream signals I can give you some insight on how to handle Cox (the residential techs are not as savvy as the field techs)

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sounds more like a neighbor stealing cable than a Cox issue....just saying

You can't steal Cox cable. Well, not that you can't, but 99.99% of the people who would can't get their paws on the technology to do so. Most likely a Cox tech decided that splitting the wire there would result in less signal loss for both apartments, rather than splitting it 100' away.

Last edited:

JCU

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    Tech came out and determined that it is probably because the wiring is old. Someone is coming out tomorrow to run a new wire directly from the box outside to my apartment. Of course, they aren't charging me for this, and they claim that this will fix every issue. If this doesn't fix it, the only possible answer is that cox is literally not sending signal here for a period of time on a daily basis, as everything will be brand new all the way from the box to the modem. They claim the box outside has been replaced within the past couple of years, and is new and functioning properly.

Tigerfish

Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Prairieville, La
    You can't steal Cox cable. Well, not that you can't, but 99.99% of the people who would can't get their paws on the technology to do so. Most likely a Cox tech decided that splitting the wire there would result in less signal loss for both apartments, rather than splitting it 100' away.

If apartment 109 is paying for cable and someone installs a splitter directing a coax cable into apartment 110, then apartment 110 is in fact stealing cable service because Cox should be receiving payment for two accounts.

Suburbazine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Cox has basic analog cable channels which they don't care about people viewing. The main services are digital and require an account tied to a Motorola decoding card to function.

Top Bottom