Any survival tips that we haven't heard yet?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    Yes, it would be good to have lighters, but in reality, you might not always have one. They are also prone to breaking, running out of fuel, or people lose them. It is a good idea to always have a backup or have knowledge of a way to make fire with resources that you can find out in the woods.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Jim,
    When in the desert do you eat snakes, scorpions, spiders, grasshoppers & Mesquite beans? I guess some areas would have the species protected & it would get expensive if caught.

No, but we do what Geronimo and the Apaches had to do, we eat thorns. Oh yow, we have drank from the Rio Grande and its good.

Last edited:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    What kind of compensation? I know where plenty is. I dug up a large stump last week.

Forgot about this thread.

I am not wanting a bunch of it at this time, I've got cash I can give for some. I thought they use to sell it on the side of the road like the fruit vendors but I don't see that anymore.

I wish I had a video camera I would do a quick video demo on some that I have, maybe I will try the camera to see if that will work to video.

Cybrludite

B.O.W. Crew #3.14159
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    Metairie
    The Beer Can Alcohol Stove

2 12oz aluminum cans, Works best if one is full to start with.
    1 razor blade or other sharp implement (optional)
    Scissors
    1 roll duct tape for measuring (optional)
    1 sturdy push-pin
    1 penny

To build:

Using the push pin, poke 16-20 evenly spaced holes along the outside rim on the bottom of the can, and three slightly larger ones in the center of the bottom.
    Take the empty soda can, and place it on the counter rightside up inside the roll of duct tape.
    Run the razor blade around the can to score it to allow a nice even edge when you cut it open with the scissors.
    Discard the top of the can.
    Use the full can as a mandrel to open up the open top of the cut can a little. This will be the top of the stove.
    Drink the other can or grab another empty, place it on the counter inside the roll of duct tape, then score and cut it like the first.
    This second piece is the bottom of the stove, and the first piece with the holes is the burner.
    Wedge the bottom into the top.

To use:

Pour about an ounce or so of alcohol into the stove via the fill holes in the center, then cover them with a penny.
    Put some tissue or some alcohol around the base of the stove & light it.
    When the alcohol in the stove starts to boil, you'll hear a hissing from the burner.
    Light the burner if primer-fire hasn't already ignited the alcohol fumes.

You should be able to boil a quart of water with this rig.

For added utility, you can polish the concave bottom of the stove with a mild abrasive (chocolate will work) and use it as a focusing mirror to light fires on a sunny day.

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Cold weather fishing

:rofl: I was listening to Clarence Buggs this morning and he was talking about how to stay warm while fishing in cold weather. He says take a 5 gal bucket, cut a hole in the topnext to the edge big enough for your hands. The opposite that hole cut a number of smaller holes. Then when you get where your going light a can of Sterno and drop it inside. Your butt stays toasty and when your hands are cold and wet from baiting etc. stick them in the big hole LOL. Some guy called and told him he tried it and it worked LOL

Asc.rudeboy

Walmitfahrer tactical#103
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2008
    as far as the candle/can cookers instead of cutting a coke can in half we used a tuna can cardboard rolled up and melted wax,,,it burned for a long long time and got hot enough to cool on if you put a piece of tin over it,it provided light and even was actually hard to blow out,we had to palce another can over it to smother it..

little brother learned this in cub scouts,,,also took the old coffee can metal ones,the big ones cut little holes around the top and bottom,,placed it bottom side up poked holes holes with a nail then put the tuna candle under it and used it for a stove..

Quickdraw22

I SPEAK DA THUGG!1!
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 18, 2007
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Anyone have acces to fire knot and wants to pick me some up, you will be compensated, everyone should have some fire knot.

My granddad just pulled a stump up from his back yard. He kept calling it "Resin". He said it started fires really well.

I dug a chunk out with my knife, and hit it with the bic lighter once we were in his shop. Talk about a flame!!! We couldn't even blow it out, it had to be placed in water. Stuff is amazing.

cajungunslinger

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I've downloaded a TON of ebooks on this kinda stuff. Its loaded with information ive got about 200mbs of ebooks if anyone wants them i can try to send it to you somehow

Top Bottom