Any survival tips that we haven't heard yet?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Well, hears a good one. Out in the southwestern states, in the arid areas, there is a native bush called the Creosote plant. It branches are filled with a sap that has a sweet odor to it. Even the green branches will readily ignite. Even the dead, fallen branches contain the sap as the sap dries and seals off the broken ends. You can collect the fallen branches and carry the "small" sticks around with you and use them to start a fire in any weather.

Neat. In the Chihuhua desert where we go several times a year these bushes are quite common. And so is the spirit of Geronomo. Hii-yea Hii-yea.

Here's another one. 2 drops of bleach to a quart of water for sterilizatin, however, after letting the water set for 15 minutes, smell the water before drinking. If you can smell the bleach, then the water is purified. If you cannot detect a bleach odor, then add another drop, wait 15 minutes, and repeat. What happens is, as the bleach attacks and kills the germs, the bleach is broken down. If you do not detect a bleach oddor then that means there are still organisms that have not been broken down and you need to continue the treatment process.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Don't Panic.

Learn a few good knots.

Always carry a rope, good knife, a towel, and a cigarette lighter in the outback. Most other things can be improvised.

C

choppacity

first aid kit and some ole' grandad. nothing a nip of the hard stuff can't cure

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Roll up newspaper sheet very tight, tie it off every 2". Then cut it in the middle of each tie. You should end up w/ 2" pieces of newspaper. Soak these in paraffin wax and you have waterproof fire starters that burn for about 15 minutes each. I would try and get medical paraffin b/c it will be unscented.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    New Orleans, Lafayette, and SC
    Cotton balls soaked about 3/4 the way in petroleum jelly make great fire starters.

Years ago when I used to be in the Boy Scouts, I took Wilderness Survival and that is what they taught us as something we could keep in our bags. Take cotton balls and stick them in a film case (the little black tubes with tops that carry camera film) with vaseline. They are small and can can be stowed easily in a bag and make great fire starters.

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    Take a film cannister for your 35mm etc... for the younger folks we haven't always had digital cameras, and cramb as much lint from your dryer in it and use that as a fire starter it works pretty good.

Take a can of soup cut the lid off cut the can in half or a soda can works too.
    Take a piece of cardboard and cut it like a right triangle, then roll it up from the the big side towards the small side that way the tallest part is in the center of the roll. Then stuff it in the can then poor melted candle wax over it all and you have a little stove, fire starter etc... that is not toxic. I actually use this to start fires in my fireplace as I am too cheap to use a starter log. Right real men don't need starter logs. Although I do have some fire knot that works really damn good.

Anyone have acces to fire knot and wants to pick me some up, you will be compensated, everyone should have some fire knot.

graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge
    Take a can of soup cut the lid off cut the can in half or a soda can works too.
    Take a piece of cardboard and cut it like a right triangle, then roll it up from the the big side towards the small side that way the tallest part is in the center of the roll. Then stuff it in the can then poor melted candle wax over it all and you have a little stove, fire starter etc... that is not toxic.

I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass, but why not just use a candle? Maybe I missed something?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Anyone have acces to fire knot and wants to pick me some up, you will be compensated, everyone should have some fire knot
    What kind of compensation? I know where plenty is. I dug up a large stump last week.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    when pine trees die (maybe during winter) the trees flammable resin concentrates in the stump after many years. This wood becomes very flammable (and very hard). You can split it up to use as a very good fire starter. Burns like oil and for a long time. If you have ever seen a forest fire, or controlled burn, the stumps you see on fire days later are usually made up of fat lighter.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    when pine trees die (maybe during winter) the trees flammable resin concentrates in the stump after many years. This wood becomes very flammable (and very hard). You can split it up to use as a very good fire starter. Burns like oil and for a long time. If you have ever seen a forest fire, or controlled burn, the stumps you see on fire days later are usually made up of fat lighter.

My brother lit one during a contolled burn and it was like a jet engine.

RE Controlled Burn
    Pine needles raised up off ground will take off like a burning vapor.
    The frogs, spiders and such out running the flames are known to freak some people out. They don't mind the fire just the creepy crawlies.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    Jim,
    When in the desert do you eat snakes, scorpions, spiders, grasshoppers & Mesquite beans? I guess some areas would have the species protected & it would get expensive if caught.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Well, I was watching this survivalist on TV and at the end he said, "make it easy on yourself, get about a half dozen Bic lighters and use them to start your fires." He said in reality that is what he does.

Top Bottom