Any watch enthusiasts here?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I am fairly new to the watch enthusiast's club, and have looked for two years for a particular watch--finally found oe this weekend. It is a Deep Blue 65 T100 Chronograph. So now I am curious, how many other watch fans here on BS? Anyone have opnions about the Deep Blue brand or this model in particular?

This one has a sapphire crystal, 65 tritium tubes for illumination, and a Valjoux 7750 movement.

Tritium in the dial and SuperLuminova on the bezel. Easy to read in the dark!

My wife just got a Citizen Octavia Ladies' model in rose gold with 57 diamonds. We both have owned Citizen watches for years and they have been flawless!

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm unfamiliar with the Deep Blue brand, but I am somewhat of a watch enthusiast. I have narrowed my "collection" down to a few watches I feel comfortable wearing daily, but I'd like to pick up a few more one day when my wallet allows. I've graduated from the cheaper watches that I used to think were expensive. I bought an Invicta watch a few years ago, which really sparked my interest in Dive watches, but I wished I never would have bought that hunk of crap. I'll use it as a target one day.

I'm very fond of Seiko watches, as that's what I grew up around. Here is my beater SNE107 with my father's 33 year old Seiko that still ticks!

21556266796_dd75a355d3.jpg

I was in the market for another Seiko beater and was recommended the Seiko 007 models. I ended up with a Seiko SKX007K and replaced the rubber strap with a Hirsch Liberty 22mm strap.

21723077831_f7afefbbd6_z.jpg

21687731796_e6a65e0bb0_z.jpg

21091085774_af0142f1a8_z.jpg

21758835455_486713dec6_z.jpg

My coworker liked it so much, that he bought his first Automatic, an Orient Mako. He also bought a Hirsch Liberty strap and I swapped it for him. Ignore the finger smudges.

22754966246_d99d1ccb31.jpg

The next watch I potentially may buy is a Seiko SRP637

51Qxg6rdEVL.jpg

Last edited:

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    The Deep Blue watches are good watches and the movement in that particular watch is a great movement. When I was at another job I went to the big trade show in Vegas and happened to meet the guys who run Deep Blue and they are very enthusiastic about their product. They were not just there to sell but enjoyed just talking about their watches. I would even go so far as to call them watch nerds but good guys. If I had the money I would own at least one for sure but probably more. That is the problem with collecting watches. A collection can grow pretty damn quick. At one time I had about 30 watches. It is down to about a dozen right now.
    I would caution anybody who wants to start collecting watches to set up a "grail list" as watch collectors call it and work toward that. Don't just by lesser pieces. Save up to get those nice pieces and you will be happier. I am not saying good watches have to cost a lot but if you have certain ones in mind work towards them. An example of a nice watch that I think every watch enthusiast should own is a Seiko Monster. Not expensive but I good looking watch with a workhorse of a movement.
    A couple of my grail watches are the Citizen Ecozilla and a Citizen Orca. They have more specific model numbers but anybody who knows watches will know them by that. The Ecozilla is still being made but not the Orca. One day I will have them. I actually had an Ecozilla but had to sell for some cash. Still miss it. Collecting watches is a dangerous hobby but so is collecting firearms. Good luck.

RustyHammer

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    NOLA
    I have several of my own watches going back 30+ years and others that I have picked-up at estate and yard sales and repaired (strictly as a hobby).
    Tools are cheap and info easy to find ... good stuff!

rattler

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Marrero, LA
    Watches are one of those things that tempt me from time to time, but I just can't reason spending that money on something that's not all that functional. Maybe when they release one of those James Bond watches with the laser? Until then I'll stick with my Casio.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I'd be happy to find one thin watch that fit me at a reasonable price. Why do watch makers think a watch needs to weigh more than my 1911?

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    On my wrist right now is a 1948 Gold Swiss Longines that my Mother gave to my Father as a wedding gift.

IMG_20151107_194059164_zpsspd9wsur.jpg

IMG_20151107_191025597_zpsrnsofpgz.jpg

Other than that, I never wore watches until I was given this one. Only reason I do wear it is sentimental.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Not an enthusiast to speak but I like mechanical watches. I have a seiko 5 on canvas strap for work watch, a seiko dive watch, like the 007 but blue and red, I have the import model (I actually dive, prefer the look of the orient mako but it's not a certified dive watch). Then my dress and off day watch is a tissot le locle white face (eta movement). I LOVE it and it is accurate to 3 seconds a day out the box.

I do want a rolex one day. Always have since even before they where as "status symbol" as they have become. I also want to replace the work watch with a Hamilton but other projects first.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I like watches but my wallet doesn't. I want to buy a Rolex gmt master 2 in two tone but can't justify dropping that kinda coin. Maybe if I sold one or both of my breitlings

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I have a champagne dial Datejust but because it belonged to my father I leave in the safe. It would kill me if something happened to it, so it is never worn. Yeah, kinda weird, I know. I have worn a yellow face Seiko Kinetic dive watch as a daily wear for several years, at work offshore and doing everything else at home. That is a RUGGED watch and the kinetic movement stores energy for up to 6 months if it is fully 'charged'. Seiko makes a damn fine product.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Not an enthusiast to speak but I like mechanical watches. I have a seiko 5 on canvas strap for work watch, a seiko dive watch, like the 007 but blue and red, I have the import model (I actually dive, prefer the look of the orient mako but it's not a certified dive watch). Then my dress and off day watch is a tissot le locle white face (eta movement). I LOVE it and it is accurate to 3 seconds a day out the box.

I do want a rolex one day. Always have since even before they where as "status symbol" as they have become. I also want to replace the work watch with a Hamilton but other projects first.

The 007 is ISO rated and you can pick up a K version for $150ish or a J version for $200ish. IIRC, the only difference is one is made in Japan, the other is made in Korea? I can't remember. Either way, they are both ISO rated and a damn fine watch for the money. I lost maybe 3-4 seconds a day tops, so I'm quite happy with my purchase.

I've always said that one day I will own a Rolex Submariner or (if I become a millionaire) a Rolex Deep Sea Dweller, but honestly, if I can find a Seiko Marinemaster at a good price, I'll settle with that for life.

Seiko makes a damn fine product.

+1,000,000

I have owned many watches, but I always go back to Seiko. Even my Bulova Diver isn't as impressive as my Seiko 007 that was 1/4 the price of the Bulova.

Depends on what y'all consider a reasonable price, but there are many watches that any "watch geek" can recommend that isn't a boat anchor.

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    I used to be a watch enthusiast, but I'm now recovering from the addiction. I went the whole route from Seikos to Rolex, finally realized that (1) it was an expensive hobby that gave me satisfaction, (2) I rarely could show it off 'cause mostly my watches were hidden by my sleeves, and no-one seem to recognize the better brands anyway, and (3) even the expensive brands didn't tell time any better than the cheapest Timex. Possibly the cost of supporting a family, or buying a house & vehicles had something to do with it. Now I just wear inexpensive watches that just tell time.

However, you've brought back fond memories. In the late 60's I was in Hong Kong when a watch seller on Nathan Road grabbed my wrist to look at the watch I was wearing (Chinese businesses in Hong Kong seem to be notoriously aggressive). When he saw the top of the line Seiko I was wearing he stopped trying to sell, as he had nothing better...

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...no-one seem to recognize the better brands anyway, and (3) even the expensive brands didn't tell time any better than the cheapest Timex...

I like watches and wear one just about all the time. Not a collector but I have accumulated a dozen or so, ranging from a cheap Timex Expedition "beater" up to (currently) a really nice Citizen Eco-Drive. Over the years I've owned lots of brands up to and including Rolex (sold that one to pay tuition), but "(3)" above is very true; now I just occasionally buy what catches my eye. I have a future son-in-law who actively collects, buys & sells, and he has about 80-85 now; lots of cash tied up there!

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    When I was in Japan 50 years ago I was told Seiko and Citizen were made by the same company.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    When I was in Japan 50 years ago I was told Seiko and Citizen were made by the same company.

IIRC, Seiko and Citizen were never manufactured or owned by the same company.

Regardless, Seiko and Citizen are among watch companies that set the base line for quality watches.

Last edited:

slogoat

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 29, 2007
    Lake Charles
    Another seiko fan here. I wear an skx007 daily, and also have a black face sumo as more of a dress watch. Have a citizen I got from a member here that I still wear occasionally too, but 99.9 percent of the time its the 007. It's taken a heck of a beating over the years to still be a fairly accurate auto.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom