Anybody been to Army BCT recently?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Well guys I made the decision and enlisted in the National Guard in December. I leave for BCT in Ft Sill, Oklahoma in March. After Basic, I will attend OCS for 3 months with hopes of becoming a 2LT before the end of the year.

I've been doing 1-2 mile runs with sets of sit-ups & push-ups to prepare myself physically. I feel like I'm mentally prepared, but I can always use some advice from anyone who has been lately. I've read several books from prior soldiers, watched the educational DVDs and have already been to one RSP drill.

I'm looking for any experiences, opinions, advice, tips from anyone who has been within the past 5 years or so. For example: I have been told that the bayonet course is extinct and it now focuses on more urban & guerrilla warfare tactics.

Last edited:

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    It's been a while , but Never call your Drill SGT. Sir !(they didn't like that at Ft. Benning ) Always be ready.. Push ups, sit ups , running... Follow instructions to the word. Pay attention. Help the guys that just don't get it. (it will save some of those push ups and such.) GOOD LUCK..

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I've been doing 1-2 mile runs with sets of sit-ups & push-ups to prepare myself physically. I feel like I'm mentally prepared, but I can always use some advice from anyone who has been lately.

Just from your post I can say you'll do fine. Most chumps just go there with no preperation, the DI's will be feasting on them mostly.

I work on Ft. Polk I see these new Boots quite a bit, and a Co-workers soon just got back from Army BCT in OK., he said it was a shock to him of course for the first couple weeks but defintely not insane. He was 5'9" 140 when he went in and said he had no problem keeping up.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Well guys I made the decision and enlisted in the National Guard in December. I leave for BCT in Ft Sill, Oklahoma in March. After Basic, I will attend OCS for 3 months with hopes of becoming a 2LT before the end of the year.

I've been doing 1-2 mile runs with sets of sit-ups & push-ups to prepare myself physically. I feel like I'm mentally prepared, but I can always use some advice from anyone who has been lately. I've read several books from prior soldiers, watched the educational DVDs and have already been to one RSP drill.

I'm looking for any experiences, opinions, advice, tips from anyone who has been within the past 5 years or so. For example: I have been told that the bayonet course is extinct and it now focuses on more urban & guerrilla warfare tactics.

You said recent so that leaves me out. I went thru Comanche County Cannon Cockers' College about 50y ago.

I assume you will be in the Artillery, a great branch. My son is in it, too, but works in MI now.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    I went in Oct 08-Mar 09 for BCT/IET

Boss302 just got back within the last few months.

BCT is easy physically if you are in any sort of shape. Be prepared to wait around A LOT and eat fast. Pay attention and you will be fine. Being a Soldier can be one of the easiest jobs. You are told exactly where to be, at an exact time, and with the exact gear needed. Take time at night to prep for the next day. What took an hour at the beginning to do will soon take 15 minutes.

tmlowe

enthusiast in training
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    river ridge
    Be prepared for changing drills. You will have a short amount of time (usually less time than is needed) to change into some weird ass combo and get back downstairs

Cut off the bottom is likely a Class A shoe and a tennis shoe with a combo of green/white socks
    11434_556549568498_45709059_32542528_2708043_n.jpg

YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    It helps if the drill sergeant knows your name, so make sure to introduce yourself immediately and let him know that you are going to OCS.

Yea that sounds like a great idea! I'll let you know how that goes when I get back.:D

Seriously, guys thanks for the tips. Hearing some of you say that I should be ok, really sets my mind at ease.

Anything else you can offer? Shortcuts for cleaning the M16 or shining boots? Anything I need to bring with me that they do not mention?

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    there is a boot shining thread on here that should be some help, I think it is in the Mil/LEO section. Congrats on making the decision, and good luck.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Anything else you can offer? Shortcuts for cleaning the M16 or shining boots? Anything I need to bring with me that they do not mention?

Shortcut for cleaning a rifle...take it in the shower. With the new tan boots, shining boots should not be much of an issue.

Do you have orders for OCS or did your recruiter say your unit would send you?

Seriously, let the DS know that you are going to OCS and will out rank him in a few months. It will create an immediate sense of respect for your pending seniority.

Last edited:

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I went through in 2004, just before they started changing everything so I can't tell you what to be prepared for when it comes to material.

No boot shining with the ACU boots, remember to call it a weapon, not a gun, rifle, anything else. It's a weapon, and they'll show you how they want it cleaned. First time they take you to buy personal hygiene items pick up some qtips for the hard to reach spots on the weapon. If they ask for volunteers start moving right then. You may get stuck with a shitty detail, but it'll be better then what happens if you don't move to volunteer. Always shave, always be EARLY to EVERYTHING. Learn to get dressed quick. Make sure EVERYONE is doing the same thing at the same time. If you don't stand out in PT or on the range, don't try to make yourself standout. Never be last. Focus on making everyone a team, this is not an individual thing, there is no army of one. Don't be afraid to get dirty. Everything's mental, just keep a good understanding attitude, look at the reasons they yell at you, smoke everyone, etc. and fix it.

That's about all that comes to mind right away. If you're worried about it now, then you'll be fine. It's the asshats that go thinking they're hot **** and will sail through it that have problems. Just curious what unit did you enlist to?

The only thing you need to bring is cash if you have it, if not you'll get an advance on your first pay check. Keep your wall locker locked anytime you're not in arms length. I've heard that some places (mainly Ft Leonard wood) will allow you to access your cell phone for a certain time instead of using the pay phones so it wont hurt to bring it with you. Anything else you bring will be locked up for the duration so don't bother bringing a ton of crap.

Last edited:

radney

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Mandeviille

Why would you go to Basic and then OCS right afterwards?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom