Anybody been to Army BCT recently?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    He already has a degree. To get a commission, unless he gets a Direct Commission, he has to go to OCS. To go to OCS he has to be an enlisted soldier. To be an enlisted soldier he has to attend BCT and hold an enlisted MOS.

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Nope - you lose your tuition exemption after you go to full-time ocs and he said he's going right after.
    Tuition exemption is only for the National Guard, and is only available for those without a Bachelors degree anyway. So if he has a bachelors degree (which is how he's enlisting to go straight to OCS) then he wouldn't get it anyway. Tuition assistance is a different ballgame altogether, and is still available to those pursuing advanced degrees, including officers. He's not loosing any benefits, and he's getting the rank.

ajt2341

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    He already has a degree. To get a commission, unless he gets a Direct Commission, he has to go to OCS. To go to OCS he has to be an enlisted soldier. To be an enlisted soldier he has to attend BCT and hold an enlisted MOS.

Minus the enlisted MOS. OCS takes the place of any MOS training. His "MOS" for enlisting purposes will be OCS Candidate. He wont be going to AIT after basic and therefore will not earn an MOS.

ajt2341

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Hey now, you can't expect all officers to start out knowing how to sort stacks of paper properly. Inventorying office supplies and making powerpoints is a very technical skill that every officer needs a school to master.

YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Minus the enlisted MOS. OCS takes the place of any MOS training. His "MOS" for enlisting purposes will be OCS Candidate. He wont be going to AIT after basic and therefore will not earn an MOS.

Yep, you got it. A lot of older soldiers I have spoken with do not understand this and tell me I'm wrong. Evidently this must be a new way of going through the steps in the army. The MOS listed on my orders is 09S (OCS Candidate.)

And yes I do have a BS from LSU and that's why I'm going straight into OCS after BCT. The reason I choose to go to OCS was to utilize my degree (and of course the higher pay.) I already have a desk job and really I joined the Army for a change of pace. I want to get my hands dirty & do something that makes a difference. I want to go to bed at night knowing that I helped someone or made the country/state a safer place.

FWIW I am currently assigned to the 769th Engr but am trying to get moved to the 415th MI as I want to branch in Military Intelligence.

ajt2341

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    Sounds good. I'm MI in the 256th, it's a great branch. That method of doing things has been around for at least the last 7 years. I had an OCS candidate in BCT with me back then. If you've already signed your contract it's possible to get moved, but unlikely. If it comes down to it some officers switch branches when it comes time for the captain's career course.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Yellow chevy, you didnt join the Army you joined the National Guard. There is a huge difference. Good luck and god bless.

These days the difference is not that huge.

Of course it is.

One is Active Duty - As in he would be stationed ON an installation and report to work everyday for the next 2, 4, or 6 years.

The other is Reserve - One weekend a month 2 weeks a year.

As far as deployments go, yes they are very similar.

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Of course it is.

One is Active Duty - As in he would be stationed ON an installation and report to work everyday for the next 2, 4, or 6 years.

The other is Reserve - One weekend a month 2 weeks a year.

As far as deployments go, yes they are very similar.

He is going into the National Guard not the Army Reserve...but thanks for the lesson on the army's components.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    He is going into the National Guard not the Army Reserve...but thanks for the lesson on the army's components.

In the context of what we’re talking about, both Army Reserve and National Guard are Reserve Units.

What's your point?
    confused.gif

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    In the context of what we’re talking about, both Army Reserve and National Guard are Reserve Units.

What's your point?
    confused.gif

I've been in both and it makes a difference to those in them.

I found the Guard more tainted with politics than the Reserve, but that was a long time ago.

YMMV
    ;)

YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Yellow chevy, you didnt join the Army you joined the National Guard. There is a huge difference. Good luck and god bless.

I am aware of that, however I will go to BCT with regular Army soldiers and learn the exact same principles/tactics. I choose the Guard over the Reserve because of the benefits. If I enjoy the military lifestyle as much as I think I will, then I will pursue a full time Active Guard Reserve position or something similar.

That being said, what is the feeling among regular Army soldiers towards ARNG soldiers?

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    That being said, what is the feeling among regular Army soldiers towards ARNG soldiers?

I enlisted in the national guard for college money, went through ROTC, was on active duty 2LT - CPT, and have been in the army reserve CPT - LTC to include a tour for OIF.

When I was in the regular army, I did not like associating with reservist / guardsmen. Their appearance, readiness, military bearing, whatever was not at the same level as the regulars. That has changed. More of the army's ability & assets has been pushed to the guard and reserve. Most NG & AR units are slotted for regular deployments and maintain an OPTEMPO similar to active duty.

Being a reservist is much more than one weekend a month + two weeks a year. I regularly work daily emails & phone calls, weekly conference calls, unit inspections, training conferences, etc. Your first couple of years will be very active dutyish - Basic, OCS, BOLC II & III, Airborne, Language school...

To me, this is a very cool part-time gig the comes with a good paycheck, benefits, and a retirement. If you are in Baton Rouge, send me a PM. We can do lunch and I will gladly share some insights from a 20+ year career.

Top Bottom