Anybody been to Army BCT recently?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    BCT in Ft Sill, Oklahoma in March

About forty years ago Ft. Sill was a wonderful place compared to Ft. Polk or Ft. Benning, GA. I did my OTS at Sill. One hell of a lot better climate. I've been to all three in the dead heat of summer. Consider yourself lucky.

Of course, there are people here who will say I never served, wasn't there, etc., add infinium. No facts, just conclusions based on innuendo. Not worthy of the uniform, the one they wore then, nor the one they wear today.

Best of luck to you, YellowChevy. I always admire the men ant women who step up to the plate to play hardball in the U.S. Armed Forces.

dydog4566

LA CHP Instructor # 411
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Greenwell Springs,LA
    Congradulations, just curious which unit did u join. Myself, served with 769th from 76 to 86. So I reckon basic is a little different these days ( back then they just put a boot in your ass) But my advice.......keep your mouth shut, pay attention, do what u are told.
    Never volunteer to do more than you are told, and never do any less, and you should be fine. I might not mention OCS...... while in basic
    Good Luck, and thank you in advance for your service

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    About forty years ago Ft. Sill was a wonderful place compared to Ft. Polk or Ft. Benning, GA. I did my OTS at Sill. One hell of a lot better climate. I've been to all three in the dead heat of summer. Consider yourself lucky.

Of course, there are people here who will say I never served, wasn't there, etc., add infinium. No facts, just conclusions based on innuendo. Not worthy of the uniform, the one they wore then, nor the one they wear today.

Best of luck to you, YellowChevy. I always admire the men ant women who step up to the plate to play hardball in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Well look who's back! I guess it took a couple weeks for you to come up with that witty retort. Well played sir! Well played! For the record; I don't doubt that you served, I just think your a liar and your dishonest about the character and content of your service. I pass this on your statements not innuendo.

YellowChevy

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA

I genuinely want to go to Basic. First of all, to prove to myself that I can do it and second of all how can I expect the soldiers who I am commanding to respect me and do what is asked if I haven't gone through the same training as they have? I think going through BCT would greatly enhance my leadership abilities. Isn't the military a brotherhood? Shouldn't all soldiers share that common bond of "suffering" through BCT?

Thanks again guys for all of the input and the good luck wishes!

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    I genuinely want to go to Basic. First of all, to prove to myself that I can do it and second of all how can I expect the soldiers who I am commanding to respect me and do what is asked if I haven't gone through the same training as they have? I think going through BCT would greatly enhance my leadership abilities. Isn't the military a brotherhood? Shouldn't all soldiers share that common bond of "suffering" through BCT?

Thanks again guys for all of the input and the good luck wishes!

Your soldiers will respect you on your grounds as a leader and if your shot group is tight or not. They don't give a damn whether you went to OCS, ROTC or if you were a Ring Knocker.

You'll have an easy time at BCT at Sill. I did BOLCII and III there and saw the BCT soldiers. Instead of camelbaks, they'll have you guys carry around the 2 qt. containers. :rofl: It'll get very hot at Sill, I've never been anywhere hotter. Just keep hydrating. Like one of my old DS's said, "You'd better be drinking so much water that your **** is clear enough to read the Sunday comics through..."

The DS's will know you're OCS bound when you wear the E4 rank. You'll be paid as an E4 at BCT and an E5 at OCS. You're an Officer Candidate or OC at OCS, you're still enlisted. They recently made a lot of changes at OCS, the school is more of a lockdown now. When I went through, we got every weekend off, we could stay off post as well on the weekends.

For a lot of information for OCS, visit www.armyocs.com

I'm a member there and they have a lot of up to date information with very recent graduates. OCS is a very run heavy school. BCT will not prepare you for the running that you'll do at OCS. You'll get to know some parts of Benning that will be burned in your memory. OCS is right by the jump towers, if you've seen We Were Soldiers, you'll see the jump towers in that movie. Quite a few scenes were filmed at Benning, you'll recognize the field grade officer housing from the movies, you'll run through the neighborhoods for PT.

Bring your cell phone and charger to BCT, you should get a chance to use it. Some recruiters told their guys not to bring theirs. I went to Benning for BCT and we got to use ours on the 3rd Sunday for 15 minutes after we arrived. However, I do believe that Sill is much more relaxed in their BCT. Don't bring too much, anything more than a few pairs of calf length white socks or underwear is too much besides your personal hygiene. Have plenty of Q tips, they have multiple uses. Just have the civilian clothes you have on your back, that will be enough. They're going to change you into Army clothing right away anyway.

If you go MI, be prepared to sit behind a desk all day. I may have seen S2 leave the FOB/COP once a month?

I'm a Field Artillery officer and I've spent some decent time at Benning and Sill. If you have any specific questions about those posts or Afghanistan, feel free to ask. If you don't feel comfortable asking in the thread, just PM me.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    You'll have an easy time at BCT at Sill. I did BOLCII and III there and saw the BCT soldiers. Instead of camelbaks, they'll have you guys carry around the 2 qt. containers. :rofl: It'll get very hot at Sill, I've never been anywhere hotter. Just keep hydrating. Like one of my old DS's said, "You'd better be drinking so much water that your **** is clear enough to read the Sunday comics through..."

[snip]

If you go MI, be prepared to sit behind a desk all day. I may have seen S2 leave the FOB/COP once a month?

I spent three summers at Hood. I'd disagree with you.

Of course my stint at Sill was Nov/Dec/Jan and for me at least it was the coldest place on earth. "The only thing between Sill and the North Pole is a two strand, barbed wire fence, and one strand is missing."

My son was branch Arty and they decided his career was MI and he's been real happy with that.
    :D

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA

Depends on where you are at what you do. S2 is like any staff shop, none of them leave the wire because the office is their job. Soldiers in MI units may be outside of the wire constantly and for days/weeks/months.

Last edited:

Airborne

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    I went to Infantry bct about 2 years ago. If your going to Sill you won't have a problem. If you don't make it all the way through and finish OCS it's for the best. They aren't gonna pass you if they don't think you will be a suitable Platoon Leader. Like i said , for the best. And for pt , Your gonna be sore for the first week or so. Don't take anything the drill SGT's say personal. They are honestly doing it for your benefit. You might as well throw those DVD's and books right out the window. You don't need them ( Your already acting like a Lt. lol) Write alot of letters and if your fat start running alot before you leave. Make sure your 2mile run time is below 15:53 before you go.

millertime

Rippin' and Tearin'
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Youngsville
    Bring a list of addresses that you might write to and pre-stamped envelopes. Even if you're not a "letter writing" kind of person, keep a correspondence going with your friends and family at home. It's great to have your name called on mail day.

Bring a list of phone numbers to call when you have phone privileges. You can't look up a number in your phone if your phone is locked away with your civilian stuff.

Bring pictures of home, i.e. friends, family, GF, pet, vehicle, whatever. It's good to have something to look at when you've had a $hitty day.

Always have a pen and paper on you.

Find the least squared away person (don't be that guy!) and help him. You'll have plenty of down time so use it to help someone that isn't as squared away as you. Watching him progress and improve will give you confidence as a leader.

Help those that are in positions above you. If you're not the squad leader, make sure the squad is squared away anyway. If you're not the platoon sgt, make sure the squad leaders are squared away. The time will come when you're in charge and I guarantee that you will appreciate the help.

Good luck and stay motivated.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom