Anybody ever hunt the Spillway?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    I was just wondering if anyone from BS ever hunted the spillway? I was thinking about doing a little scouting out there this week or next... thanks!

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Really, all the game either went to high ground or got swept away in the flood waters.
    Plenty of nutrias to hunt in the ponds and once you cut the head, feet and tail off and skin it it looks like rabbit. Birdshot and buckshot only out there and not even a .22 permitted. I am presuming you are talking about the Bonne Carr spillway?

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    No, not in the past half-century.

Before that, there was wonderful squirrel hunting on the islands in the swamp.

Some of our cousins from Grosse Tete hunt deer in there, but it sounds too dangerous to me.

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    I agree, which one. Where I'm from, the Spillway means Atchafalaya Basin. Which is millions of acres, from Henderson to Morgan city. Everything is going to be different this year, since it flooded.

bush_hog

Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Jul 8, 2007
    Covington
    sorry guys, the Bonnet Carre Spillway... I mainly bow hunt, but occaisionally duck hunt. And it looks like I can do both there. I just didn't know what's the best way to traverse the area... atv, trailbike, walking it? etc... might just take a walk out there next week sometime if it ever stops raining around here

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    sorry guys, the Bonnet Carre Spillway... I mainly bow hunt, but occaisionally duck hunt. And it looks like I can do both there. I just didn't know what's the best way to traverse the area... atv, trailbike, walking it? etc... might just take a walk out there next week sometime if it ever stops raining around here

Don't waste your time! There are no established deer and very few ducks! If you want to hunt deer and ducks near you and relatively inexpesnsively, go to the Pearl River Mgt Area. It is possible to take game with only a car to get there, but you can quadruple your chances with a boat. Even a canoe or pirogue.

If you are serious, pm me and I will tell you how.

thatguy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Franklinton, La
    South of US 61 to the tracks, #6 steel shot during duck season. Deer season, north of US61 beyond the power lines to the lake, shotgun only. No ball ammo, no skeet shooting. It is Federally managed property and Park Rangers are in the area constantly. You cannot have any firearms that shoot ball ammo in your vehicle or on your person. They will be confiscated and from what I have seen in the past, good luck getting them back.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    My buddy is in a lease just south of i10 near whiskey bay (south of sherbourn). Went with him last year one weekend. Deer where everywhere. They have no trouble getting as many as allowed there. Almost had to kill multiples out of self defense. That was before the flood and he hasn't been there since so no new reports.

SpencerSS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Brusly, La
    South of US 61 to the tracks, #6 steel shot during duck season. Deer season, north of US61 beyond the power lines to the lake, shotgun only. No ball ammo, no skeet shooting. It is Federally managed property and Park Rangers are in the area constantly. You cannot have any firearms that shoot ball ammo in your vehicle or on your person. They will be confiscated and from what I have seen in the past, good luck getting them back.

What do you mean "shoot ball ammo"?

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I've seen some decent deer in there but not a lot. Getting to them would be difficult.

I've scouted Pearl River a few times but never hunted there. Lots of pigs. At the time they wanted you to hunt pigs with only a .22. I don't like that idea...

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Really, all the game either went to high ground or got swept away in the flood waters.
    Plenty of nutrias to hunt in the ponds and once you cut the head, feet and tail off and skin it it looks like rabbit. Birdshot and buckshot only out there and not even a .22 permitted. I am presuming you are talking about the Bonne Carr spillway?

The Bonnet Carre Spillway is muy illegal to hunt. The last time I fired a gun there I got a $250 fine, and that was low. The guy cut me some slack, because I was honest with him. Do NOT shoot firearms in the Bonnet Carre spillway!

Top Bottom