Anybody re-paint their sights???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    :dunno:I have an older CZ that the painted dots are really dirty/oily and want to re-paint them. I'm sure somebody here has done that and would like some advice on prep and which paint to use. Thanks.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The bad thing with nail polish is that it leaves like a clear coat on top of the actual color and its hard to find one that actually POPS out and says HERE I am, I like the KG colors a little better they are VERY bright for what they are and aplication is super easy with that tip.

At the same time nail polish is $3 for the expensive stuff at Wally World and KG is about $11 once you add shipping

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Ive had good luck with the touch up paint you can get from Auto Zone or most chain auto parts stores (the bottles with the brush inside). A myriad of different colors. Pick your favorite. It's cheap, easily obtainable and durable.

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    The bad thing with nail polish is that it leaves like a clear coat on top of the actual color and its hard to find one that actually POPS out and says HERE I am, I like the KG colors a little better they are VERY bright for what they are and aplication is super easy with that tip.

At the same time nail polish is $3 for the expensive stuff at Wally World and KG is about $11 once you add shipping

True, now that I think about it I was actually thinking of Testor's model paint I've had great luck with. And they sell some VERY bright colors.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    Might try the testers paint method first. What do you do for prep work? Clean with lacquer thinner, or enamel reducer? Degreaser only? After the cleaning, do you just brush it into the dot mark and let it sit and then remove any extra (if there is any) with a swab and thinner? Maybe I'm getting too technical here. I'm used to dealing with prepping for auto-paint so please excuse me if I'm looking into this too much.Thanks Guate shooter for the KG site.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Usually bore cleaner EATS the .... out of regular white dots, thats why they dont last long when people clean their slide with it, bad thing is they do tend to leave a small film, best degreaser I have found is Alcohol clean it a couple of times and wear gloves PLzzzzzzzzzz, then apply what you need and should be good.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    10-4. I pretty much use gloves whenever I"m cleaning my guns and lubing them up. I'm guessing your talking isopropyl?

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I use acrylic model paint. It's water based, so it's easy to correct mistakes and clean up. Several of my old sights are wearing fresh coats of Games Workshop's "Skull White"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    Shreveport
    The little bottles of Dupli-Color touch up paint at Wally World have a ball-point end on them. It makes putting the paint where you want it pretty easy. It comes in any color you could want, also.

BOSS351

CZech It Out
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Prairieville
    ok just did mine using the touch up paint from O'Reillys with the ball tip pen. My dots are pretty small so had to use a toothpick, as mentioned a number of times, and it worked out great!! Thanks a bunch guys for all of the help. We'll see how this auto paint holds....me being a Ford dude had to settle for the Ford Oxford White color (same color as on police cars and fleets!!).

Top Bottom