Anybody want to help me buy a reloading press?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Let me preface this by saying I have never reloaded and am a beginner. I have read some information on the internet and watched a few videos on youtube and etc. I will be reloading .223/5.56, 6.8SPC, 50BMG, 308/7.62, 325WSM, 50BMG, 45ACP, 9mm, 380auto, and 338 lapua. I really like the Dillion machines but they don't go up to 50BMG.

I would like to get something that doesn't break the bank but will be good for a while. I realized the dies alone are going to be expensive and will probably just start with 50 and 6.8 first since they are harder to just go to the store and pick up.

Also is there anywhere in the greater Baton Rouge/Livingston/Ascension area I can get a eyes on look at some equipment and find out what all I need.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    You may need two presses - one to do .50 and .338 and another to do the others. RCBS makes a press for the .50 BMG. It can probably reload the others, but I am sure it will be awkward. A Dillon 550 will probably handle everything but the .50 and .338 Lapua.

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    Not sure how big .338 Lapua is but a regular single stage will do .338 winmag.

but the BMG rockchucker style RCBS press has a collar for using regular dies, I would recommend this first since you need for BMG and to learn on.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    You may need two presses - one to do .50 and .338 and another to do the others. RCBS makes a press for the .50 BMG. It can probably reload the others, but I am sure it will be awkward. A Dillon 550 will probably handle everything but the .50 and .338 Lapua.

+1 on using two presses. I've heard of guys using a Rockchucker Supreme for .338 LM, but for the .50 you won't have enough clearance. If you're just learning then I'd recommend staying with a single stage press at first.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    The Ammomaster II set up for the .50 BMG retails for $700. The .338 LM should work in a standard press as it is only slightly longer than a full length magnum cartridge.

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Let me preface this by saying I have never reloaded and am a beginner. I have read some information on the internet and watched a few videos on youtube and etc. I will be reloading .223/5.56, 6.8SPC, 50BMG, 308/7.62, 325WSM, 50BMG, 45ACP, 9mm, 380auto, and 338 lapua. I really like the Dillion machines but they don't go up to 50BMG.

I would like to get something that doesn't break the bank but will be good for a while. I realized the dies alone are going to be expensive and will probably just start with 50 and 6.8 first since they are harder to just go to the store and pick up.

Also is there anywhere in the greater Baton Rouge/Livingston/Ascension area I can get a eyes on look at some equipment and find out what all I need.

TDH, As far as the “Big 50” goes I can recommend the Lee Classic Cast 50 BMG press Kit. My brother has had one for several years and has no complaints or broken parts. It comes complete with the press, dies, shell holder, prime tool and a tube of sizing lube and it will not break the bank at $275, you can also use the same press to reload for all of the other cartridges you have listed but it is a single stage press. Only other thing to add will be a powder scale, chamfer tool and caliper if you don’t already have those. I believe that Mark Waggenspack keeps the press in stock not sure about the 50 kit. Give him a call he’s a great guy to do business with.

Buck

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    You need to learn to crawl before you walk, walk before you run, etc.

IOW, you shouldn't even THINK about .50 BMG or anything exotic until you have a grip on the basics and some loading experience under your belt.

I would suggest starting out with a Dillon 550 on your 9mm and .45. You can load all your stated calibers except the .338 and .50 on that tool.

LSP972 I totally agree with your statement "learn to crawl before you walk" but I feel certain that no one would describe a progressive press as crawling. With 4 things happening at once it's really easy to get in over your head when a problem does arise. I have seen both pistols and rifles blown apart from experienced reloaders loading on a progressive by having powder bridge in the drop tube only to have an overcharge on the next round, remember not enough powder is just as dangerous sometimes more with certain powders than an overcharge.

Have you ever loaded for the 50 it is by most all accounts not an "Exotic" cartridge nor is the 338 for that mater. You load for it no different than for the 223 or 308. If memory serves me correct the 50 was derived by taking the mighty 30-06 then simply scaling it 1.5 times bigger.

Buck

TDH

FFL/Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Livingston
    Thanks for all the info guys. I stopped in Louisiana Reloading supply and he showed me the .50 kits that had in catalog. The 6.8 is what I really want to reload more than anything. I went to Cabela's, Bass Pro, Bowie Outfitters, and everywhere in between before I finally found 1 box of ammo at Jim's this evening. I wanted to play with my REC7 but its almost pointless to go to the range with 30 rounds.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Actually, a progressive press will produce match rifle ammo as well as a single stage (at least for ammo to be used out to 600 yds). I load on both and cannot tell the difference on a target. ALL of my 200 and 300 yd ammo for competition (including the Nationals) is loaded on a Dillon. My point is that progressives aren't just for blasting ammo.

That said, learning on a single stage is a pretty good idea.

And you are right - loading is a chore (necessary evil).

owen502

Don't Ban Me Bro
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    A single stage press is a must have. They are relatively cheap and can always be handy for loading a few rounds to test a bullet type, new powder, etc... Get the single stage, and see if you like it. If you decide reloading is not for you, sell it. I find reloading stuff holds value. Whatever you get, it won't be a loss if you don't like it.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    i just picked up my Dillon 550 from Waggenspack lastnight.... cant wait to get reloading... gonna try to his the Kenner show next week to get some goodies

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Conceded. In fact, now that I think about, doesn't David Tubb (multi-time Nats winner) load his comp ammo on a 550B?

He does, but he has a Prometheus powder measure on it - like an RCBS Chargemaster, except much more accurate (and pricey).

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I stopped by LA Gun & Reloading today and Fred showed me a Lee press that comes in a kit and he also showed me the Dillon 550. Neat stuff. I would want to do 9 mm and eventually do 223.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Get Ahold Of Mark Wggenspack In Gonzales, He Has Presses And All The Reload Equipment You Need. As For A Press The Best One To Get Is Rcbs Rockchucker I Ahve Had One For 30 Years And It Is Still Going Strong.. Rcbs Has A Life Time Garrauntee On Everything They Sell If It Breaks They Will Replace It For Free Just Call Them.

Top Bottom