Anyone carry in a shoulder rig?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Just curious if anyone here does and why or why not.

I could see if you spend a lot of time behind the wheel it would be comfortable.

But how about every day carry as opposed to the typical IWB/OWB?

BenCarp27

I feel like an old man...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    New Orleans Area, Southshore
    I carry in a shoulder rig on occasion. If the weather permits a jacket, and I know I'll be in a crowded environment like a fairground or other outdoor event, I'll put on the shoulder rig. Only because I feel a little more secure, and don't have people constantly bumping into my gun-side.

I get antsy when people touch, shake, feel, bump into, brush against, pull upon, or otherwise interact with my firearm. :)

Spent Brass

Keeping South BR Classy
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    baton rouge
    I carry in a shoulder rig on occasion. If the weather permits a jacket, and I know I'll be in a crowded environment like a fairground or other outdoor event, I'll put on the shoulder rig. Only because I feel a little more secure, and don't have people constantly bumping into my gun-side.

I get antsy when people touch, shake, feel, bump into, brush against, pull upon, or otherwise interact with my firearm. :)

I use a 5.11 holster shirt for simulations like that. Provides vertical carry under my shirt without the need for straps and bulky holsters. Also I can conceal under a t shirt and have my gun off of my hip.

images

Last edited:

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    I just looked the shirt up, it says 80% cotton and 20% spandex.Does feel similar to the UnderArmor material?

yes. it feels similar to their cold gear line but a tad looser. minimal printing with a glock 36 under a t-shirt for me. 2nd pocket works out well for a wallet when in crowds.

Last edited:

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    I carry in a shoulder holster frequently. Easy access to gun (no having to pull up shirt or untuck shirt or reach down to ankle holster). Conceals a little better than a OWB holster under a coat.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    I use a 5.11 holster shirt for simulations like that. Provides vertical carry under my shirt without the need for straps and bulky holsters. Also I can conceal under a t shirt and have my gun off of my hip.

images

I know several people who wear the same shirt.

I'll stick with the ways I have been carrying for these 27+ years.

Too old to change and all that.

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.

images

I wear one of these too occasionally but never with a tee shirt. I felt it took way too long and took too much motion to access my pistol. I only wear it with a button up shirt. But that's just me. Wear what you are comfortable with.
    FWIW, these compression tees are very comfortable.
    Charlie

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Depending on my assignment, I will often wear a shoulder rig. A good one is far more comfortable than a side holster and they help keep my pants from sagging as happens with the added weight of a side holster.

It should be mentioned I have gone through a substantial amount of wealth before finding a comfortable rig. Even then it took several days of getting accustomed to it. At first, the shoulders suffer some mild aches but it passes with time.

My current rigging ran about $300 with the holster, harness, mag pouch, cuff case and tie downs. The really nice part about it is it being modular so you can change the parts out to accomodate a different weapon, ammo carrier or such. I have likely over 700 days of carry in the rig over the last 10 years and it does not show wear but does show some dirt.

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Just a quick update:

Bought a Galco Jackass rig, haven't carried in it yet, though.

I will have to check out one of those shirts, I think a G19 or G26 would be perfect for it!

Top Bottom