Anyone do sand/media blasting?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaryCCR

Off target
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Westbank, La
    Hi. I know this is a gun forum, but I figure someone may have a solution. I have an older Chevy truck I've been working on. Recently my cousin painted it for me. He told me I should do something about some rust on the frame. It's not very heavy or scaly but it's beyond surface rust.

It's there anywhere I can take the truck and have the frame sand blasted? I plan to por 15 after.

I was thinking about buying the cheap harbor freight blasting pot, but I don't have a massive compressor to run it.

So any ideas or suggestions are welcome. I live on the westbank.

The truck is a 96 Chevy 1500, I'd like to have the frame cleaned up in time for scrapin.

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    There is a company in Rathborne park, 4th street and peters rd in Harvey between the river and the tracks, last business on the left. they have the capacity to blast a frame, but it will not bee cheap. I believe its called costal coatings

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    There is a place in Ponchatoula, on the I-55 service road South of I-12, that does sand/media blasting on a large scale. They have a huge cabinet that they can put a full size truck into if necessary. My father and some friends have brought frames over there in the past, but it's not cheap at all.

If you really want it done well, there's a place in Mississippi that does acid dips, and you will be left with a bare metal frame.

This was taken from another website, but this is the end result of acid dipping.

7000%2054%20Chevy%20pickup%20cab%20after%20acid%20dipping%20to%20strip%20paint%20and%20rust.jpg

bryanbag

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Check out Kirkfield's Powder Coating, I haven't been over there in a long while. Last time I was there he had a couple vehicle frames at the shop being prepped to be powder coated

201 Hickory Ave, Harahan, LA 70123
    504-737-6018

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I hate to tell you but you have done this backwards. The frame should have been done first.

If you are not going to remove the cab and bed, I would just wire brush what you can then pressure wash then por-15.

No way a sandblaster (with cab on)can get under the truck and get into the nooks and crannies necessary for a good job.

Last edited:

mike84z28

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Kenner
    I hate to tell you but you have done this backwards. The frame should have been done first.

If you are not going to remove the cab and bed, I would just wire brush what you can then pressure wash then por-15.

No way a sandblaster (with cab on)can get under the truck and get into the nooks and crannies necessary for a good job.
    ^^^ This^^^^ No reputable company will do this work without you first removing the body from the frame. You will not be able to remove the rust from the entire frame with a wire brush or wire wheel but should be able to get 80 %.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I just re-read the OP and I'm really hoping you didn't think they could blast the frame while the truck is assembled.

Top Bottom