Anyone ever sold a computer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lajeeper

heartless conservative
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    BR
    I'm looking at selling my gaming computer for funds on my next project computer. Have any of you ever sold yours? If so, did you do it on craigslist, ebay, flyer in the student union?

I'm just looking for ideas on how to best advertise the computer.

I will be posting the sale in the applicable for sale forum here.

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited:

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I sold a Dell Laptop on Ebay. I paid around $800 for it and used it 3 years. It sold for $580!! It was probably only worth $300, but it was in good shape and I had a good rating.

I also had good luck selling my iphone 3gs and a processor more recently. I find I get higher prices on ebay than selling locally, but the extra is paid in fees, but every once in a while you hit a jack pot when you get the right buyer. I normally list $.99 with no reserve, it gets you a lot of bidders.

Don't sell anything on Ebay unless you have a perfect rating, I would say a good rating adds 30% to your auction.

Never had luck with craigslist, lots of um, well lets say lots of people with low moral character out there without any type of mechanism to weed them out.

Friends usually want a friends discount, I usually on give away stuff to friends and family. I gave my mom an HP laptop one time, and she tried to give me money for it. I wouldn't take it, it crapped out a couple months later, that could have caused issues, although minor, if she would have paid me for it.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    i used to be very active on Anandtech.com . they have a sale forum. i'd try posting in there if you don't mind shipping or parting it out.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I sold one of my old laptops on ebay a few years back....

Just be honest and list as many of the technical details that you know, like processer speed, memory, hdd size etc....

My opinion, based on my own shopping habits, is that if someone is looking for a new, blazing fast computer, they're not gonna be looking where ever you post it for sale. They're in the market for a functional, used & less expensive computer.

Nowdays, given what Ebay charges, I'd start with craig's list and give it a few weeks before I paid to sell it....

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    Best to sell it to someone you know. It seems you have more than enuf knowledge about how to clean the machine before the sale. The only way I'd sell a machine to someone I didn't know would require a full reformat and that is such a friggin waste. Your choice, but I've sold some really good machines that (in the hand of the buyers) lasted only months -- what a waste (but I got paid) and I have some great machines that I use now that will be sold to someone who will "waste" them. And I'll get a fair price for these also. Good Luck. PC

Swami

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Monroe
    I've sold a crap load of them, as I used to fix up busted ones for extra cash. Most of them I ended up selling to friends or family, so allow me one little piece of advice: When you sell a computer to a family member or a friend, you have become their computer person for the life of that computer. If they get a virus, don't know how to find a file/ install a program, etc., then you will be who they call. It's not really a bad thing necessarily, as I don't mind helping my friends or family anyway - but when they get a computer from you you're in their computer world forever!

:p

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom