Anyone got a battery powered weed eater?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I've got a couple acres with waist high grass. It's too rough to use a lawn-mower on.

I don't want to cut it all as I believes it helps draw the deer, just cut it down in some areas.

Was looking at weed eaters at home depo, and noticed they have some using 18volt batteries like I have for my cordless drill and circular saw.

Saw they were recommended for just under an acre, but I'm sure they mean edging.

How are they?

Sigfan

Queso is the Answer
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    The Wank of JP
    I use a Ryoby 18. The blower, eater, and chainsaw. I love them, but I'm just doing my home lawn, not acreage. The thicker and wetter the stuff you're trying to cut, will wear the battery out faster. The batteries charge quick and since I own all the tools too, drill and saws etc... I have tons of batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk & misspellings thanks to iPhone

Sigfan

Queso is the Answer
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    The Wank of JP
    I weed eat, edge (same machine), and blow my whole lawn, about 45 minutes worth of work not including cutting with a gas mower, on 2 of the NON-low pro (skinny) batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk & misspellings thanks to iPhone

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I have a ryobi 40 volt. Using batteries for drill/circular saw would be nice, but the 40 volt is awesome and I feel like smaller batteries would be a big downgrade. FWIW I also have a blower that uses the same batteries and I'd assume they have more accessories of the same kind.

Less than 1 full battery to weed eat, edge and blow off the driveway and sidewalk.

Last edited:

dixiejarhead

Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    NOLA/Northshore!
    I have the black and decker 18v. It is not bad at all. I have two batteries and they will last for one lawn cutting of my yard (you have seen the size) and it is not a bad setup. I was going to do the gas setup but went this route. For your property I would get 4 batteries and two chargers.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I have the black and decker with the dual string but mine is a plugin... it kept getting fouled, strings jacked up, etc... now all it does is spit out a ton of string and foul up in 10 seconds, I consider it $80 junk. My dad and grandpa have battery powered single line B&D's that they love.

Nomad.2nd

Rating - 100%
    66   0   1
    Dec 9, 2007
    Baton Rouge... Mostly
    I have the black and decker 18v. It is not bad at all. I have two batteries and they will last for one lawn cutting of my yard (you have seen the size) and it is not a bad setup. I was going to do the gas setup but went this route. For your property I would get 4 batteries and two chargers.

The good thing about it is.... It's rural, no expectations of keeping the HOA happy etc.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    My brother inlaw does, as well as a battery powered mower..

But is gay, paranoid schozoid personality disorder, and 56 and never left home.. Not sure that is a good barometer.. lol ..

alpinehyperlite

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Ive been considering the same thing, but instead of a weedeater, an electric edger. I have a nice echo weedeater, but due to user error, i can never get my edges looking nice.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Maybe I'm too old school but I'm not sure battery lawn equipment is up to my expectations/demands. Given Mcfarland's review of one who does I feel vindicated.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Awesome. LOL. Is he a rabid Democrat too?
    not sure, been married almost 10 years, and have been to his mothers and his home countless time.. Countless, we live 3 miles away..

he has never came out of his room.. spoken 10 words to him in that period..

He is worthless as a human and member of society.. by any measure..

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Ryobi 40v stuff is pretty good if you consider how terrible some of their earlier market entries were. I don't particularly like the battery power terminals though, too small for my tastes. But hey, cheap is cheap, some people have no need for $$$ stuff.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    If you have that much area to do, do not use anything electric. You will be highly disappointed and cause yourself much more work in the long run. They are meant for smaller residential yards.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I've got a couple acres with waist high grass. It's too rough to use a lawn-mower on.

I don't want to cut it all as I believes it helps draw the deer, just cut it down in some areas.

Was looking at weed eaters at home depo, and noticed they have some using 18volt batteries like I have for my cordless drill and circular saw.

Saw they were recommended for just under an acre, but I'm sure they mean edging.

How are they?
    My stepdad had one powered by an extension cord and wall-plug. It sucked balls in every way possible. I doubt removing the cord would help.

Top Bottom