Anyone have an F150 with EcoBoost?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I may be in the market for a new truck soon, so I stopped at a local dealer and test drove a new F150 with the EcoBoost motor. I was pretty impressed with the truck and the amount of interior room it has vs. my Sierra. I was also impressed with the Ecoboost, but am wondering if anyone here has an feedback on this motor. On paper it sounds like a great engine, it seemed to have plenty of torque and the turbo lag was not too noticable.

What kind of gas mileage are you guys getting? Any known issues with this motor? Any increased maintenance costs vs the 5.0 V8? Any changes between the 2011-12 model?

Ford must be hurting because they offered me a crazy discount before we even test drove it.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    I have one, best petrol truck on the market... the 2012 has a different 4wd, other than that its the same truck... there is an appearance sport package thats cool too...go over to f150forum.com for more information

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    My buddy told me he's had a few in his shop just to service them and he loved the engine and tranny. He's also the smartest person I know about vehicles.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    My brother has one. I've driven it. Very impressive torque.

He's sitting at 19mpg for 16k miles. That's drivin back and forth in rush hour to north baton rouge (from prairieville) daily, two trips to Houston, there and back, then there again with motorcycle in bed and back pulling a 24' boat and one trip to key west pulling a 21' boat.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I have one, best petrol truck on the market... the 2012 has a different 4wd, other than that its the same truck... there is an appearance sport package thats cool too...go over to f150forum.com for more information

What is different about the 4wd? I test drove a 2011 FX4 4x4 with the Ecoboost with a stick price of $42.5k.

KevinV916

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have a 2011 with 14k miles now. I'm getting about 16.9mpg with rush hour driving in Baton Rouge and a few trips to Houston and Dallas. Gets down to about 14.5mpg with only Baton Rouge stop and go driving (all dependent on my right foot too..)

At 13k miles, after having just driven to Houston, my transmission went out. Brought it to a dealer in Houston and they said it blew a seal and had no more transmission fluid. Replaced the torque convertor and OD clutch and took the tranny out and cleaned it. Not trying to dissuade you, but google seems to say it happens with the ecoboosts over the other engines for some reason.

Personally, I was hoping to get better mpg and the transmission is making me second guess myself before taking any road trips with it.

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    Yes, I just got it a few months ago. Last weekend on the causeway I was getting 23mpg at 68mph. I average around 16 on the hwy, but can't keep my foot out of. It tows a 22ft boat pretty good, and last weekend I towed 3 big atv.s with it. I never thought I would buy a ford, much less a gas vechicle as my last truck was a dodge diesel. So far I have been happy with it.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    For comparison purposes.

I bought one of the last 2011 models but I opted for the 5.0L. The power ratings are similar with a slight edge in mpg and torque going to the V6 but I could not make myself buy a twin turbo. I feared increased maintenance and the EcoBoost is more expensive initially. I special ordered my F150 so I could get exactly what I wanted. Mine has the optional 3.55 rear gear with Limited Slip where standard ratio was 3.73. This does little to negatively affect low-end torque because the transmission has such a low first gear ratio (4.17 to 1). I tow a 26ft camper and it handles it with ease. To give you an idea of the torque, I can spin the tires from a rolling start with the trailer attached. Power is not lacking. As far as fuel mileage, we are getting 15.5 mpg in stop and go traffic and as high as 22 mpg on the open highway with no load. I've only had the truck since last August and have had no mechanical issues yet. I really like the Select-Shift transmission........so far. I also drive a 2003 F-150 4.6L and the 2011 is head and shoulders above in every regard.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I have a 2011 xlt. 4x4 and 5.0...If i keep my foot out of the skinny pedal i have gotton 20.2/20.3...
    However on the avg.18.5...Towing in the 14 mpg range...This is a 3500lb trailer w/a 420 and loaded with hunt'n stuff...
    When i can i fill up with 100% regular gas...A bit better milage...Oh...These trucks' cruise really well at 75/80 mph...

snapnek

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Woodworth, Louisiana
    I have a 2011 SuperCrew 4x4 XLT with EcoBoost and I love it! I avg around 18mpg with a combo of city and some highway driving. If I drive around 55 or 60 I can get around 22mpg. It all depends on how you drive. I orginally got a 2011 with the 3.7 v6 2wd and then traded it for this truck, best decision I ever made. I runs like a suped up V8 and will tow something like 11,000 lbs, alot more than I'll ever need. Don't be afraid of the EcoBoost, all engines/transmissions/mechical anything/ could break. I have about 10,000 miles on mine with no problems. What's not to love about a V6 that can outrun most V8 trucks on the road? :bowdown:

goodburbon

Whalmitfahrer
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Around
    I have 2. No problems. Both with 3.73 gears and optional locking rear diff.

Mine is averaging around 19, mostly highway. I've gotten as high as 22 per tank when on flat land and keeping it under 70. 20k miles driven so far

My wife's is averaging around 15. She stays around the house, up and down the mountain trips and hauling 1200#bales of hay. At 8000' there is no comparison to any NA engine. It pulls, hauls and has plenty of interior room. 8k miles driven so far.

I've had mine since September and my wife's since November. Zero in additional maintenance costs so far.

Power tuners are typically getting 50-54 extra horsepower from a tune alone. I'm waiting to see some real world economy reports before purchasing.

Maintenance costs so far have been regular oil changes.

The only issues I've noticed so far
    1. The heater isn't quite adequate at -15 degrees and 75mph.
    2. The A/C isn't quite adequate at 110+degrees.
    3. A small headwind, or going uphill will see your MPG average take a nose dive.
    4. It's a turbo, and a v6 so stomping it from the light will leave you disappointed, but if you brake launch it, or roll out and roll in the throttle when it's about to shift out of first you'll have a smile from ear to ear.
    5. I wanted a front bench seat, and this is available only with cloth seats. So while I have seating for 6 in each truck, my children and wife have absolutely destroyed the upholstery in her truck, and mine is starting to show stains on the armrest despite Scotch guarding.

Last edited:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    There is a guy on the Mustang Usenet group that has an EB Flex. A couple of simple mods and some programming and he's running 12's in the 1/4 and still getting better mileage than a Mustang.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    livernois is geting 40/40 at the wheels on 87 octane with their tuner.. i have an intake and exhaust on my ecoboost f150 and it pulls much harder than stock... i can get every bit of 25mpg if i keep it under 65mph, but i also have the 3.15 rear end

glimmerman

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    CSA
    I've had mine for a week now. Traded a GMC. General Motors has a lot of engineering to do as Ford has left them behind. Ford - NO GOVERNMENT BAILOUT and MADE IN U.S.A.!!!!!!!!!! :fawk:

General Motors - Bailed out by Govmn't and they have the audacity to build the crewcabs in Mexico!!!!!!!! :thumbsdown:

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    Thanks, lots of good info in this thread. I have spoken to a few friends that have the Ecobost and all of them are happy with the engine. I am going to try and see what kind of deal I can work out at the end of the month. I had one dealer offer between 10-12k off of sticker, but I need to locate a truck with the options I want before i start any real negotiations.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    if you want to buy from a friend of mine at Terrebonne Ford, he's a no BS salesman... i have been knowing him for most of my life and he is my age... he's got a twin turbo gt500 too, lol

you will find that most big city dealers mark up their vehicles over MSRP to give you 10-12k off sticker... it's all games on their end..

Last edited:

dragginaknee

Gun Addict!!
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 7, 2006
    Northshore (north of Covington)
    livernois is geting 40/40 at the wheels on 87 octane with their tuner.. i have an intake and exhaust on my ecoboost f150 and it pulls much harder than stock... i can get every bit of 25mpg if i keep it under 65mph, but i also have the 3.15 rear end
    What intake and exhaust you went with? How's it sounds? I thought about it but don't know if it will sound like a ricer

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom