Anyone here buyings guns for your kid's future? Teaching them hunting, fishing?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    I have two beautiful girls who are 7 and 8 years old. I have been teaching them to shoot .22 cal.'s. They enjoy it, and I am impressed at their accuracy, and safety awareness. Since they were talking I have taught them that if a firearm is mishandled it can cause injury.

I am proud of their outlook for nature and that they are common sense minded. They understand that it is ok to hunt for food and that we must protect ourselves. They hear things in school and watch the news, and I am honest about what goes on in the world, while explaining everything with a gentle approach, considering their age. I teach them to shoot, fish, we are camping this year, they have a garden, and they want to hunt. I am also teaching them martial arts little by little. They enjoy all of it, and my approach is fun so they respond very well.

I have put together a little arsenal for them, including backpacks, mags, ammo, guns, knives, for their future.
    They each have the following:
    S&W model 442
    Glock 19
    Glock 17
    AR-15
    AK-47
    AK-74
    Ruger 10-22
    Bolt Action .270 with scope
    I am buying them each a 20g shotgun shortly

All of the firearms are from reputable manufacturers.

I will be moving back to the northshore next year so we will be shooting a lot more, and I will be hunting and fishing a lot more. I am teaching them everything I know.
    As I wrote, they have one of each in the gun room, locked away, until they are old enough to use/own.
    I am looking towards the future.

Anyone else stashing away anything for their kids and teaching their kids to fend for themselves?

Last edited:

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    That's a great idea! My son is 4 and my daughter is 1 and a half. He's going to start shooting when he gets a Cricket in December for his birthday. I like the idea of setting them up with some things to grow into. 5 (my son wrote that number, lol. Said he wanted to). 9

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    I picked up a J. Stevens & Tool Company pump 22 in 22 short, long and long rifle a few weeks ago. It is in desperate need of a restore but I think it would make a great learning rifle for my son as well as heirloom one day.

Last edited:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Farmerville
    Have been teaching my 4 y/o daughter how to shoot her bow and plan on getting her a BB gun for Christmas. Then after she's comfy with it, comes 10-22.

oppsImissed

Rating - 94.6%
    35   2   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    somewhere south of I12
    My son started shooting at age 4. He is 9 now. He has his own ar-15 and we shoot just about every weekend. He his own vest and bob. Its not a end of the world type teaching. Its more about being able to hunt and be self supportive in the woods.

2011Corvette

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Louisiana Swamp (BR)
    Collecting for their future 100% and teaching them every day. My 2 girls shoot skeet as good and a lot of men and shooting with my son is a regular thing. It's all a family affair when we shoot.
    They are prepared.

Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    I started my girls out on Red Ryder BB guns. I am with you oppsImissed, I do not teach them it is the end of the world, I teach them the value of nature and how to survive. I tink too many kids are not taught how magnificant nature and the outdoors are, and if shtf they would be at the mercy of the situation. I think too many kids are stuck behind TV's and computers these days. My dad gave me a wonderful life teaching me how to shoot, hunt, trawl, crab, camp, fish, ski, garden, ect. I want to pass that on to my kids.

I have done everything from horseback riding to canoeing to hiking and going to the beach, and now they are doing the same and they love it.

I started my girls out on Red Ryder BB guns. I am with you oppsImissed, I do not teach them it is the end of the world, I teach them the value of nature and how to survive. I tink too many kids are not taught how magnificant nature and the outdoors are. I think too many kids are stuck behind TV's and computers these days. My dad gave me a wonderful life teaching me how to shoot, hunt, trawl, crab, camp, fish, ski, garden, ect. I want to pass that on to my kids.

Those types of expieriences are memories that they will never forget, and if needed, they can survive if SHTF.

Last edited:

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    We backed out of a deal on purchasing a home in the city to raise our kids in the country on 23 acres. Theres a pond to fish, guns to shoot, and tractors to play on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    My 4 year old was given a daisy BB gun for his birthday. I have been teaching him the basics and saftey. I plan on taking him deer hunting this year, but I doubt he can sit still longer than 30 seconds. I have a couple of AK kits set aside for him.

8E75E0FA-DDEA-4CEB-AD95-BCC30BF251C8-6362-000005DA90221027_zpsa5c0f7a9.jpg

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Besides the daisy, anyone know of any bb guns that are easily shouldered by 4 year olds?

I bought my 4 year old a cricket and want a bb gun for every day practice.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    My 7 year old has more guns than most adults I know, but he doesnt even realize it.
    Having a kid is a good excuse to buy cool toys, I learned that shortly after he was born!

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    All my guns essentially belong to my 5 year old boy. Yes,I have quite a few that I never sell or trade. All the other **** you've seen me pass on is just that...****. The Colts,Smiths and Rugers are mainstays just like the Remingtons, Winchesters and Marlins. My guns are his and when he's old enough to buy his own,he can create a new safe and do as he pleases. All he's ever shot so far is a bolt action Marlin .22lr and loves it.

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    My son is 14 and lives with his mom in Idaho. When he is here for the summer we go shooting all the time. He also goes with his step dad once in awhile. His step dad grew up hunting but now with work he doesn't do it much if any at all. While he was here last summer he had a ball shooting a Universal M1 Carbine I had picked up here. So for his 14th birthday I shipped the M1 up to his step dad and gave it to him for his birthday. He loves shooting it. As far as hunting ans fishing., that's not me. i went hunting once with a member here a couple years ago. I don't mind fishing a couple times a year but I really don't know what I am doing. My parents were from Queens and Brooklyn so to say they weren't outside folks is an understatement.

M1 Carbine.

How many 14 yo boys can say they shot a FAL or know what one is..

Rem 700

Last edited:

Darkwolf99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Bossier City
    I started buying my sons guns for Christmas each year. So far they have S&W 22a pistol, Ruger 10-22, a mauser and a Benelli Nova 12 ga. I have also taught them from a young age about gun safety and hunting. I enjoy taking them out to shoot each chance I can.

AK shooter

Redneck with a gun!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Raceland
    Besides the daisy, anyone know of any bb guns that are easily shouldered by 4 year olds?

I bought my 4 year old a cricket and want a bb gun for every day practice.

I dont know of any that are short enough for a 4 year old. The little daisy mine has is too long at it is the smallest.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    My son shoots his daisy youth .22 better than the red ryder bb gun. He also does fairly good with a colt ar .22- with the stock collapsed, it fits him just right and with the sights being higher up, it just works well for a kid. However, it is hard to keep him from doing mag dumps with it because he gets all giddy and just keeps squeezing the trigger!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom