Anyone here carry Self Defense Insurance ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I talked with a rep from U.S. Lawshield last night . I went ahead and signed up for their insurance . I had been on the fence about it ever since I first got my CHP . He was able to answer some questions and some " what if's " . It's priced reasonably and I like the fact that there are no caps or limits . I'm sure there will be naysayers and that's ok .

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    There are plenty of horror stories about people that were " right " , but it cost them everything they own to prove it in Court , or to defend themselves against the inevitable Civil Suit .

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I don't trust any insurance company that doesn't state their coverage limits UP FRONT. U.S. Law Shield does NOT. You have to ADD coverage to get "Bail Bond & Expert Witnesses", Multi-state protection, etc. If you want BASIC coverage for only $131.40 a year... roll with it.

I have been with the USCCA since 2013 and have actually had to use it. My phone call was answered by their Crisis hotline and within 10 minutes I was speaking to an Attorney that was an Ex-DA in Louisiana and now specialized in Self-Defense Cases. I called at 11:30pm and spoke to a real person. The attorney that I spoke to guided my through the entire process, on site of the event, through the police station and then once I was home. I can not explain to you the weight lifted from my shoulders when I spoke to the attorney and the information he provided.

The next day I was even contacted by the USCCA to ask if I needed counselling or any assistance... they also provide FIREARM REPLACEMENT REIMBURSEMENT if your firearm is confiscated or taken for evidence.

That one single event PAID FOR ITSELF with my annual membership... so much that I upgraded to the "ELITE" membership for all of the training they offer online. Another thing... if you think training doesn't come into play, or if online courses don't help... EVERY SINGLE THING I have learned (and now taught) in concealed carry classes or training for self-defense situations CAM INTO PLAY on the day of the event. That is no joke whatsoever.

I would recommend the USCCA to ANY AND EVERYONE looking for Self-Defense insurance. With the membership, you also get access to their smartphone app that will notify you when crossing state lines to changes in reciprocity laws... you also receive a great magazine titled "Concealed Carry" with true stories of self-defense situations that have happened across the US. Also, HUGE amount of member-only discounts with distributers and stores for accessories, firearms and equipment purchases.

I would not recommend anything to my students that I would not carry myself. The USCCA is the protection EVERYONE should have when carrying concealed.

Oh wait, one more... they offer a 365 day MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!!! So if you sign up for a membership... regardless of the level (which I didn't mention that the same coverage exists for all levels, the only difference is the training options available), you can call and cancel the membership up to 364 days from the day you sign up and they will REFUND THE ENTIRE AMOUNT!!! Who else offers that????? On that same note... if you upgrade your coverage at anytime in that year, they prorate it with what you've already paid and you only pay the difference (and they send you some free stuff... like a Pelican Hard Pistol case and range bag when I upgraded to Elite).

Sorry... I'm passionate about things I believe in. I can attest to the company and the coverage.... as stated above... I have used it myself!

I am NOT affiliated with the USCCA in any way other than having a membership. I can answer some questions to the best of my ability... or provide you with the number of a rep... and if you sign up you could always do me a favor and use my name as a referral!!!! PM me for more information.

I hope this information helps!

Last edited:

flyboy

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 18, 2021
    Crowley, Louisiana
    I don't trust any insurance company that doesn't state their coverage limits UP FRONT. U.S. Law Shield does NOT. You have to ADD coverage to get "Bail Bond & Expert Witnesses", Multi-state protection, etc. If you want BASIC coverage for only $131.40 a year... roll with it.

I have been with the USCCA since 2013 and have actually had to use it. My phone call was answered by their Crisis hotline and within 10 minutes I was speaking to an Attorney that was an Ex-DA in Louisiana and now specialized in Self-Defense Cases. I called at 11:30pm and spoke to a real person. The attorney that I spoke to guided my through the entire process, on site of the event, through the police station and then once I was home. I can not explain to you the weight lifted from my shoulders when I spoke to the attorney and the information he provided.

he next day I was even contacted by the USCCA to ask if I needed counselling or any assistance... they also provide FIREARM REPLACEMENT REIMBURSEMENT if your firearm is confiscated or taken for evidence.

That one single event PAID FOR ITSELF with my annual membership... so much that I upgraded to the "ELITE" membership for all of the training they offer online. Another thing... if you think training doesn't come into play, or if online courses don't help... EVERY SINGLE THING I have learned (and now taught) in concealed carry classes or training for self-defense situations CAM INTO PLAY on the day of the event. That is no joke whatsoever.

I would recommend the USCCA to ANY AND EVERYONE looking for Self-Defense insurance. With the membership, you also get access to their smartphone app that will notify you when crossing state lines to changes in reciprocity laws... you also receive a great magazine titled "Concealed Carry" with true stories of self-defense situations that have happened across the US. Also, HUGE amount of member-only discounts with distributers and stores for accessories, firearms and equipment purchases.

I would not recommend anything to my students that I would not carry myself. The USCCA is the protection EVERYONE should have when carrying concealed.

Oh wait, one more... they offer a 365 day MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!!! So if you sign up for a membership... regardless of the level (which I didn't mention that the same coverage exists for all levels, the only difference is the training options available), you can call and cancel the membership up to 364 days from the day you sign up and they will REFUND THE ENTIRE AMOUNT!!! Who else offers that????? On that same note... if you upgrade your coverage at anytime in that year, they prorate it with what you've already paid and you only pay the difference (and they send you some free stuff... like a Pelican Hard Pistol case and range bag when I upgraded to Elite).

Sorry... I'm passionate about things I believe in. I can attest to the company and the coverage.... as stated above... I have used it myself!

I am NOT affiliated with the USCCA in any way other than having a membership. I can answer some questions to the best of my ability... or provide you with the number of a rep... and if you sign up you could always do me a favor and use my name as a referral!!!! PM me for more information.

Good info. Thanks for sharing that!

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Just some quick numbers for USCCA... not just for criminal defense, but CIVIL defense ALSO!!!

Self-Defense Liability Insurance for Claims Expenses & Damages
    $2,000,000 (EACH CLAIM!!)

Self-Defense Liability Insurance Policy issued to the USCCA by Universal Fire & Casualty Insurance Company
    $750 Per Day for Loss of Earnings

Self-Defense Liability Insurance for Defense Expenses

$250,000 Total Coverage

$6,000 - Incidental Expenses

$50,000 - Bail Bond

Your Choice of Criminal Defense Attorney

Use of Any Legal Weapon in Lawful Self-Defense

Basic Gold membership is roughly $30 a month.

Here is actually an unbiased view on comparing the two... https://gununiversity.com/uscca-vs-us-law-shield/

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    After countless hours of researching, I decided CCW Safe was the best choice for me. YMMV

I looked at them also... They have a great plan... I just didn't like the Lost wages payments per day only being $250-$350/day, limited counselling sessions, only $1,000,000 in civil coverage.

Bond coverage was definitely better, I liked the "Crime Scene Cleanup" payment!!! (haha)... The one thing I especially liked, that neither US Law Shield or USCCA offer was the Military/Law Enforcement Plan... which in a sense was their base "Defender" plan with a $30 discount. They also offer "Red Flag Law Hearing" coverage up to $10,000... but I'm not sure what that would be other than defending yourself against a crazed ex who calls and says you're a nutjob so they will take your stuff? Maybe a liberal neighbor who doesn't like that you have firearms? Who knows.

Their "Support Services" are something to appreciate also... though the counseling options are the same as US Law Shield.

Overall a great plan... Hey, I can say that having Liability coverage when carrying a firearm is important. You protect yourself with a weapon... you need to protect yourself in court as well. Get the insurance, regardless of which company you choose... have the coverage when you need it.

BluewaterLa

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    Slidell La
    USCCA for me as well, member since 2014
    Looked into others that were less expensive per year and they did not stack up in my opinion for what is offered.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    US Law Shield does not have any limits for criminal or civil protection , neither time or money . That is why they don't state them . :p And when you call their 24 hr hotline , it is answered by an Attorney so EVERYTHING said from the very beginning is privileged conversation .

We all have the freedom to choose . I just think it's wise to have SOMETHING .

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    US Law Shield does not have any limits for criminal or civil protection , neither time or money . That is why they don't state them . :p And when you call their 24 hr hotline , it is answered by an Attorney so EVERYTHING said from the very beginning is privileged conversation .

We all have the freedom to choose . I just think it's wise to have SOMETHING .

So I did some further research and found the following on the other insurance companies...

1. You're limited to using their attorneys, of which there are only 1-2 per state. The attorney is paid if you need help or not eating up your coverage.
    2. They have a domestic violence exclusion and don't cover domestic disputes.
    3. They have review panels to review your case before they ever do anything.

* A BIGGIE * - It would appear that they will represent you in a Civil case, however they don't pay any Civil Damages... only legal/attorney fees (with no cap). They say "Unlimited" cap on Criminal and Civil LITIGATION.

In fact, for CCWsafe, it states on their coverages... "Civil damage coverage is not included in the CCW Safe Defender Plan and must be added". So it's an extra cost.

For USLawShield... "U.S. LawShield® covers all attorneys’ fees in any covered civil or criminal case. However, there is no coverage for damages in a civil suit."...

WATCH THE WORDING!!!!

I know of a USCCA Case where a member was sued Civilly... by the ex-wife of the criminal. She sued the member for damages to recoup the seven years of child support the member had left to pay to her for the support of his/her child. She won and he was ordered to pay $70,000 to her for that child support. The USCCA covered all attorney/legal/court fees and paid the $70,000.

Also, they do not refund your entire amount if you cancel. They will refund your "PRORATED UNUSED MEMBERSHIP FEES", which I assume is if you pay annually. USCCA Has a 100% money back guarantee for 365 days.

Last edited:

m1k3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Central, LA
    I have USCCA as well. Went ahead and paid for the lifetime membership when it first became available back in I think about 2011 or 2012. Lots of good information available from them as well.

Mannelite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2019
    Covington, Louisiana
    I've had USCCA Platinum level for 3 years now... I think I'm about to drop it. If money were no object to me I would continue to have it, its just so expensive, and then you hear about the stories where they drop cases and also if my liability is greater than my protection I'm still F'd anyway.... so might as well save $40 a month lol Idk I haven't cancelled it yet... I'll probably wait until the rate hike thats supposed to be coming in a few months.

Horrible

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2020
    SE LA

The next day I was even contacted by the USCCA to ask if I needed counselling or any assistance... they also provide FIREARM REPLACEMENT REIMBURSEMENT if your firearm is confiscated or taken for evidence.

+1 for USCCA

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Knowledgeable people such as Massad Ayoob, Marty Hayes, John farnam, Karl Rehm, etc seem to like the "Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network" https://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

Not a lot of benefits there and you have to sit in jail while you prove your case to them before they will assist with arranging bail . Those people you mentioned are on the Advisory Board . Possibly paid ?

Top Bottom