Anyone know how to ship powder?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    Trying to figure out how I can have powder that someone purchases shipped to me. Any ideas would help, I'm only coming up blank

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    I'm certified to ship HazMat by my employer. I know all about the packing groups, labeling, hazmat declarations and can tell you whether it can go by rail, air (passenger or cargo only), tank, or truck.

And I can't ship powder or primers.

Unless the shipper is registered with the shipping agent (UPS or FedEx) and passes their muster they will not accept a HazMat package. Period. Don't even try to ship it as something else unless you've got a spare five figures sitting in the bank and are willing to risk a felony. Think the BATF doesn't have a sense of humor? You haven't seen the DOT guys.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Think the BATF doesn't have a sense of humor? You haven't seen the DOT guys.
    Example.

One of my crew was on assignment in Deadhorse, Alaska. When the gig was ending he decided to ship some of his tools by air so they would be at his regular assignment when he got back. He got a call from the shipping agent and DOT. Seems he, without thinking, boxed up his cordless drill which has lithium ion batteries. Lithium ion batteries are hazmat and cannot be shipped by air. He was given a choice. Either pay a $12,000 fine or forfeit the batteries.

Now he has a very nice cordless drill without batteries.

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    Does this explain why lithium ion batteries are so damn expensive? lol only the chosen ones are allowed to ship batteries. Seriously though I think I'm gonna have to just drive and pick it up if there's not a gun dealer that'll ship it

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    Does this explain why lithium ion batteries are so damn expensive?
    Just a part of the expense. Lead acid like your car battery and NiCads are HazMat also. One of the reasons you see sealed lead acid batteries so much today is being sealed puts them in a different class and makes packing much easier.
    lol only the chosen ones are allowed to ship batteries.
    Besides being totally ate up with the HazMat shipping rules, and renewing your training every two years. To ship as Joe Schooter you have to be set up with your shipping agent. Those guys take a big responsibility when they accept a HazMat shipment which explains the HazMat surcharge. I looked into getting on the list a while back and the requirements were just too BS to send something once or twice a year. Pretty much if your not running a business that has to send HazMat, forget about it.
    Seriously though I think I'm gonna have to just drive and pick it up if there's not a gun dealer that'll ship it
    There's a road trip in your future. BTW: There are exemptions to private individuals hauling their own HazMat. Otherwise how would you get that pound of powder from Bass Pro home? Just keep the powder in the jugs it came in and your cool.

Loaded ammo is MUCH easier to ship. It's classed as ORM-D, Other Regulated Material class D. Here you box up the ammo in cardboard containers like the factory ships it or something similiar. Then slap a few ORM-D stickers on it, and declare it as Cartridges, Small Arms. UPS and FedEx will accept ORM-D from anybody off the street. You'll have to go to a hub rather than one of the stores in the strip mall. I've shipped ammo several times with little hassle.

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    Well thanks for the info guys I think we've got a solution. I've shipped ammo before, just never had to get powder from a to b without a seller shipping it

Top Bottom