anyone own a pitbull?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JP762

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    River Ridge
    I have a gorgeous tan/white pitbull with black reversed brindle. Her names Freya and anyone who hates pitbulls will lose that hate reeeeaal quick if they met here. shes not on our insurance though..

Over hated and under rated breed, they're not mean, they're terriers, and are extremely protective. My friend's 90lb rock of a pitbull literally guards his son's crib at night. Territorial and protective

Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    I dont own a pit, but do have a South African Boerboel. Actually had a dog bite claim a couple of years ago. And my insurance dropped me like a bad habit, when the policy ran out. I ended up going to the Hartford for my home owners, better insurance for less money. BTW the dog bite was not the Boerboel, but one of the mixed breed mongrels we have/ had. The pump repair man decided to hit her with a stick, and she took a piece of calf in return. We hated too, but we put her down. I was up front with the insurance company, about the previous claim and the existing 5 dogs we still have. And they had no problem giving us a policy. I have nothing but good to say about the Hartford.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I am currently in possession of quite a few pits and pit mixes. Some of the best dogs you'll ever have. I prefer them over most Shepard breeds (except the Aussie ;) ), they don't make very good working dogs, but are great pets.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    State farm are the only ones who will consider. He will have to come see how the dog is contained and see if he is aggressive. Hopefully they don't charge an arm and a leg.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    What do you mean by insurance? Like if the dog hurts someone they will cover it? Or insurance for the animals health?

Homeowner's insurance. It covers not just the home but the yard and things that happen there. Some insurance companies (as noted above) refuse to cover someone with a "dangerous breed".

Basically, if your dog gets loose and causes damages, your home insurer gets sued, not you personally. I saw a case one time where a kid was basically crippled for life at the end of a basketball game when people rushed the floor. Got a huge settlement from "at fault" kid's parent's home insurer. Go figure.

joey9139122

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    I have a mix found on the streets mal nourished at about a year old. She is great with my little girl and is a real puss till someone comes to the door, then sheLl make you ****.

When my homeowners ins asked what type of dog I had I just replied that she is a pointer mix... Didn't lie, but won't tell them the whole truth either.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I have a gorgeous tan/white pitbull with black reversed brindle. Her names Freya and anyone who hates pitbulls will lose that hate reeeeaal quick if they met here. shes not on our insurance though..

Over hated and under rated breed, they're not mean, they're terriers, and are extremely protective. My friend's 90lb rock of a pitbull literally guards his son's crib at night. Territorial and protective

They aren't usually very protective - not like livestock guardian breeds.

Oh, they aren't terriers. Some may have terrier blood but that's debatable to a large degree.

Great dogs with redoubtable courage and drive so they are not for "the masses". Not terribly dog friendly which is entirely understandable given what they were (and still are) bred for.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    Yes im talking about homeowners insurance. Some said I might be able to get home insurance but no liability. We'll see, hopefully I can find a hole in the wall insurance company that won't care

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Man I agree with you guys the breed has and awful reputation! I'm a fun loving hoghunter and got really serious with it years back. I invested some money into a great bloodline of pitbulls for it. Waste of money! I ended up with the biggest lap-dogs next to my boxer now. The pits never made it into the woods with me for two reasons. #1 Gun shy and way too playful didnt have a mean bone in their bodies #2 some ****ing ******* poisoned them when I left them outside in my backyard one day. People knew i had them and were seriously affraid of them. They never barked or threatened anyone their whole young lives. 7yrs later, I'm still trying to find out who did it. It's not because of the breed that make a dog dangerous, it's the owner all the way. People like "Mr. Vick" make it hard on people such as us, to own or have this beautiful breed as a part of our families and lives...

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Actually, it's the gamebred (bred for dogfighting) bloodlines that are extremely easy-going around humans. Just like a bird dog's "thing" is fowl the gamebred bulldog's "thing" is engaged combat w his own kind.

DOGS SOCIAL CREATURES AND WHAT WILL THE FIGHTING DOG SOCIALIZE WITH? YOU! AND ME. AND ANY OTHER HUMAN WITH HANDS THAT WILL SCRATCH HIS EARS.

That is the aspect of the dogs that keep me coming back for more. The word "lovable" does not do them justice.

Now, take the gamebred dogs and breed them for color or size or anything not related to what the dogs were originally bred for and they pick up "normal dog traits." Like territorial behavior, protective behavior. Problem is they still have a physicality way out of proportion to their size and even the ones that have no taste for pit work can absorb all the punishment that mere mortals can toss their way. The result? A super dog that has a lot of fire - a fire no longer SOLELY DIRECTED at fur-bearing creatures, in general, and his own kind, in particular.

wadepat2

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Jan 10, 2008
    Delcambre,La
    Actually, it's the gamebred (bred for dogfighting) bloodlines that are extremely easy-going around humans. Just like a bird dog's "thing" is fowl the gamebred bulldog's "thing" is engaged combat w his own kind.

DOGS SOCIAL CREATURES AND WHAT WILL THE FIGHTING DOG SOCIALIZE WITH? YOU! AND ME. AND ANY OTHER HUMAN WITH HANDS THAT WILL SCRATCH HIS EARS.

That is the aspect of the dogs that keep me coming back for more. The word "lovable" does not do them justice.

Now, take the gamebred dogs and breed them for color or size or anything not related to what the dogs were originally bred for and they pick up "normal dog traits." Like territorial behavior, protective behavior. Problem is they still have a physicality way out of proportion to their size and even the ones that have no taste for pit work can absorb all the punishment that mere mortals can toss their way. The result? A super dog that has a lot of fire - a fire no longer SOLELY DIRECTED at fur-bearing creatures, in general, and his own kind, in particular.

I agree completely with this! I have a working pit from game lines and he has been taught how to act towards other dogs. His breeding makes him very loving to humans. He catches pigs to satisfy his game instinct and it makes for a great dog. He is still not a "pet". Kids pet him and he gets alot of attention but he knows his place. There power and heart make them like a gun in my eyes. Perfectly safe but potentionally deadly both should be respected as such.

Sorry for getting off topic i have State Farm and they have never asked what type of dogs i own.

Neil09

Rating - 93.8%
    15   1   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    church point, la
    He will come and meet me my dog. He asked if he has ever shown any aggression. To be honest if he ever shows any towards a human for no reason, he's gone. Only aggression he showed is when be attack led 2 other dogs because they snapped at our other dog, who is a tiny female. As long as nobody messes with her, he's a big baby. Thanks guys, looks like it'll be state farm

alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    35070_639307740504_50302289_36013988_427523_n.jpg

I have a pitbull and a rotti and they do great together. i notice as long as they are socialized, they do great! This is Lola, my 4 yr old pit with my son standing on top of her. I observe a lot of patience by both breeds with my son doing annoying things. They are both great breads!

Top Bottom