Anyone taken an Alaskan cruise?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drill sgt

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2019
    denham springs ,la
    No cruise but lived in the interior (Ft. Greely / Delta Junction / Fairbanks) (US ARMY) winter1973 to fall 1979 before returning back to Louisiana.... Cruises are ok but sometimes you are forced into their time scheludes as to how much time you have to do their activities between departures. And possibly not being able to do or go somewhere that you might want due to the time constraints... Same goes for the bus tours.. Pack approperate personal clothing but be aware of the possible major weather conditions changes so as not to be suprised even though it is summer time by the month of the year ...Wishing you a great anniversary trip to be remembered for years to come... Enjoy... plenty of digital photos and tourist trap soveniers.... If going off the ship inland DO NOT FORGET the bug repellant.. Louisiana mosquitos and gnats cannot hold a candle against the Alaskan versions..... Enjoy.............. drill sgt.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    Never been but is on the list to do. I have a couple friends who have gone. They both loved it. They did some whale watching excursion and saw not only whales but all kinds of wildlife.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    My wife and I decided on an Alaskan cruise for our 20th anniversary. It’s actually next week but we are looking to plan the cruise for next summer.
    So from anyone that’s been what’s The Good The Bad and The Ugly ?
    I haven't been on one, but just a note that my wife is a travel agent and usually can find better deals than what's listed on cruise line websites. I can connect y'all if you want, just shoot me your email address and I can have her reach out and give y'all some quotes :)

She doesn't charge a fee and just makes a commission directly from the cruise line.

DavisDefense

FFL and CHP Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2022
    Lafayette, LA
    I've been on several cruises. Bahamas, Cancun, etc. Alaska was by FAR the best. 4 day land tour and then 7 day cruise down to Vancouver. Flew into Fairbanks. I think it was through Princess cruiselines. 100% would do it again!

La26

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Paulina, La.
    The time of year is really important. One season is too cold, one season is nothing but biting flies, one season (when we went in August 18-25), rain, rain, and some more rain. All excursions were canceled due to weather. I'm sure there is a season that the weather is best, and that will be the season that costs more $$$. Follow up on AustinBR suggestion and speak with his Wife concerning when the best time is to go. We took it for our Anniversary which is in August so we were stuck with that time of year. We wouldn't do that time again.
    One suggestion is to get a balcony room. It is more $$, but the main reason for an Alaska Cruise is the sights, and sitting on your balcony with a cup of coffee and a pair of binoculars is really something to experience. Tons of wildlife, eagles, whales, grizzly bears etc.

Pocket

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Sewanee, TN
    I’ve been on 4 Caribbean cruises (done with that) and 2 Alaskan cruises. Will be going again in July for our 40th anniversary. All were from south to north and all in the summer. Our very best trip was when we extended our trip by a week to travel on our own in Alaska. Some of the places we went the mosquitoes were very bad. Worst than any I’ve encountered in Louisiana including the marsh. Not so bad at the ports of call. A south to north trip the scenery just keeps getting better so I would recommend that trip. The first day there is not much to see for a while. Weather can be rainy but rain only washed us out at one stop.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    The time of year is really important. One season is too cold, one season is nothing but biting flies, one season (when we went in August 18-25), rain, rain, and some more rain. All excursions were canceled due to weather. I'm sure there is a season that the weather is best, and that will be the season that costs more $$$. Follow up on AustinBR suggestion and speak with his Wife concerning when the best time is to go. We took it for our Anniversary which is in August so we were stuck with that time of year. We wouldn't do that time again.
    One suggestion is to get a balcony room. It is more $$, but the main reason for an Alaska Cruise is the sights, and sitting on your balcony with a cup of coffee and a pair of binoculars is really something to experience. Tons of wildlife, eagles, whales, grizzly bears etc.
    We've gone on ~10 cruises together and I never, never, never get a room that's not a balcony.

My dad is even more restrictive than me - he only gets suites on cruises. Royal throws some pretty solid perks their way.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    Flew up 4 times, Hunted, fished, chased hoe's, got drunk and always have taken the planes.
    Wife and a few others want to take the cruise but if I can't shoot off the handrail then there's no sense in me going?
    I have shot skeet from the upper deck.
    Think of a cruise ship as a huge suv on wheels. It's very comfortable to travel on. To me the positives outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Never did a Alaskan cruise but did a Baja cruise. Never slept better in my life. Did have rough seas one day and got sea sick but overall it was a good time. To me its a once in a life thing and have no intrest in doing it again

sffone

Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2019
    Baton Rouge, LA
    My wife and I have gone on two Alaska cruises and both were wonderful. Work with a travel agent to work out the best time to go and definitely get an outside room with a balcony. I promise, you will not regret the little extra you'll have to pay.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    My wife and myself went twice but no cruise. We flew to Anchorage, rented a car and house. Booked fishing trips. We did things on our schedule.
    This would be the way to go. You couldn't pay me to get on a cruise ship these days. Of course, the same could also be said about flying. I've flown many times, none of them recently though, and I'm not sure I'd be willing to anymore.
    Regardless of the safety issues of either, if I go on a trip, I want it to be MY trip. I don't want to be stuck on a tourist journey with a bunch of people. I want to go off the beaten path and do my own thing.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    This would be the way to go. You couldn't pay me to get on a cruise ship these days. Of course, the same could also be said about flying. I've flown many times, none of them recently though, and I'm not sure I'd be willing to anymore.
    Regardless of the safety issues of either, if I go on a trip, I want it to be MY trip. I don't want to be stuck on a tourist journey with a bunch of people. I want to go off the beaten path and do my own thing.
    There are certainly pros and cons to both paths.

Cbt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2022
    Baton Rouge
    Two trips to Alaska:
    Cruise with wife was nice. Last of season, I think end of Sept and we were in gale for a couple days ~ even crew was sick. But the ports were enjoyable. A bit rainy, but like a "real" winter day in La. On board was enjoyable, but I didn't care for the cramped time schedule clock-watching.
    My first trip was with my Dad on a lark the two weeks after Labor Day 1989. Light frosts knocked out the bugs, and just ending tourist season so no crowds.
    Flew into Anchorage and the weather was like La winter ... rainy, windy, just above freezing. We rented a 2-door Cavalier and car-camped. We roadtripped Anchorage > Denali > Fairbanks > Tok > Valdez > Anchorage.
    Valdez was the last weekend of the Oil Spill Cleanup and the place was like a Wild West Town .. canvas tent cots for $35/night, trailer shower $5/head. Salmon were running! We caught one first night and cooked over coals, then a dozen next day (limit?).
    I did all the driving for 2500 miles. Dad would nap off and I would say, "Dad, there's another beautiful sight if want to look ... if not there will be another soon."
    WONDERFUL TRIP and memories!

If I go back, I want to take the train to the interior. I've talked with others and it sounds like fantastic combination of the Cruise and Roadtrip.

Top Bottom