Anyone tried an 80% lower?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YEMX0341

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was thinking of building an M4 with an 80% lower. Naturally, the questions are, which one to buy and how did it turn out? Did you do the work yourself? Thanks in advance.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    I did one about a month ago mainly just for grins and because I had never tried it. Luckily though I have a mini mill so it wasn't any big deal. Trying to finish one with an electric drill and a file looks to me like more of a lesson in frustration than fun. Either way, it's no where near worth the time when you consider the price lowers are going for. The jig will cost $60-80 alone. You would have to do a number of them just to break even. Timewise you never will. It was fun though, and I enjoyed the experience. No need to do it again though.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Bumping this up.

I can see the possibility of a time and place where an 80% might be beneficial.
    So I'm bumping the op's question of who's done it, and how did it work for you?

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    My wife just did a genesis cnc 80% in the drill press. parts are coming in from midway so she can finish the build so cant tell you how well it holds up to 1000s of rounds yet but she does plan on shooting it in the CQB match in Biloxi in August. Pain in the ass on the drill press but it does come with everything you need from drill bits to jig and milling bit for 50$ and they have discounts all the time. I would prolly rather just buy a finished lower but she wanted to try it so what the heck.

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    NVM on the genesis, gave it away, didn't like the way everything lined up and looked in it. ordered a finished aluminum lower receiver for the same price.

toyota38

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    Lake Charles Louisiana
    I have the Modulus arms HD jig and have completed 4 receivers so far. Its not cheaper than buying a Anderson lower, but I have bought all of my 80% receivers on sale so that I almost have equaled the cost of the jig when you figure in transfer fees. I have several more 80% lowers that I will complete in the future. I already owned the Rigid trim router and tooling. If you build enough and enjoy working with your hands, its a nice hobby! BTY, I veered from the instructions and drill one starter hole, then mill/router the metal out one layer at a time from that one hole.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    I have the Modulus arms HD jig and have completed 4 receivers so far. Its not cheaper than buying a Anderson lower, but I have bought all of my 80% receivers on sale so that I almost have equaled the cost of the jig when you figure in transfer fees. I have several more 80% lowers that I will complete in the future. I already owned the Rigid trim router and tooling. If you build enough and enjoy working with your hands, its a nice hobby! BTY, I veered from the instructions and drill one starter hole, then mill/router the metal out one layer at a time from that one hole.

I really dont mind making things myself but its not nessicarily something I enjoy either. I do like the idea that the gun never existed if I milled it. I know many think that a little nutty but we are headed for a day when form 4473 will be a defacto national registry. I mean Obutthole already tried to make it so after Sandy hook by trying to force all arms transactions private and gifting require a 4473 or something simular just because he failed doesnt mean Hildabeast will. Now I keep track of what I buy/sell/gift to/from but thats my insurance and not any of King Barack's business. I know I know some of you will ask me to take off the reynolds wrap but what can I say. :dunno:

Last edited:

wcweir3

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Gonzales, LA
    I really dont mind making things myself but its not nessicarily something I enjoy either. I do like the idea that the gun never existed if I milled it. I know many think that a little nutty but we are headed for a day when form 4473 will be a defacto national registry. I mean Obutthole already tried to make it so after Sandy hook by trying to force all arms transactions private and gifting require a 4473 or something simular just because he failed doesnt mean Hildabeast will. Now I keep track of what I buy/sell/gift to/from but thats my insurance and not any of King Barack's business. I know I know some of you will ask me to take off the reynolds wrap but what can I say. :dunno:
    You may keep the Reynolds wrap as the future does not look good if Hitler Clinton gets in

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eddie Landry
    Top Bottom