Anyone use / familiar with Ballistol?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    I was watching a Hickok45 video on Youtube and he said that's what he uses, and has for years. I was wondering if anyone else had used it or know of anyone that's used it. I was wondering if it was worth trying to get.

Thanks.

BMN

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Ok, so well ventilated area is what your saying. Good to know. I liked the idea when I saw it online, but if the smell is that bad, I may have to give it a miss.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I'm not kidding this stuff literally smells exactly the way I described it.

Anything you apply it to will smell the same way. Doesn't matter how long it has a chance to dissipate.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    And I thought the spare socks he carried were for when his feet got wet and he needed to change. :cool:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    I actually meant to describe it as smelling like a dirty sock, which in itself is bad enough, but add the odor of having wiped your ass with it and that accurately describes it's scent.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    Apparently Hickok45 indicated that you could use it as both a lubricant and cleaner. Rust inhibitor sounds like a great idea also of course.

I had no idea there were so many options on cleaners / lubricants (oils and greases) for firearms until recently. I guess I'm WAY oldschool, so much so that I didn't even know what I didn't know. LOL

killerkarl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    The stuff works great and I don't find the smell as offensive as some of the other cleaners out there. I always clean my guns outside though and I find that letting them sit out for a few hours after cleaning gets rid of most of the smell.

Spray your gun, barrel, chambers down with it and then go do something else for a while and let Ballistol do it's thing before you start cleaning.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    The stuff works great and I don't find the smell as offensive as some of the other cleaners out there. I always clean my guns outside though and I find that letting them sit out for a few hours after cleaning gets rid of most of the smell.

Spray your gun, barrel, chambers down with it and then go do something else for a while and let Ballistol do it's thing before you start cleaning.

Spraying your gun will get lubricant where it does not need it. I have cleaned and removed lubricant from several guns that were soaked and would not function properly. After removing the excess lubricant they ran 100%.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    Uptown, New Orleans
    From what I saw, the only thing that was left to soak in Ballistol was the barrel. And that wasn't more than a couple of minutes, and only so due to the cleaning aspect as opposed to lubrication. However, it was said that the liquid would soak in and molecularly bond to the metal, and the more you use it, the more it retained that slick feel.

tibodoe

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    It smells like ass thats been wiped with a dirty sock.

If you can get past that, its great.

I called my son over to read your post, and he almost pissed himself laughing. He can't stand it when I
    clean his guns with Ballistol. It doesn't bother me that much, but he hates it.

Top Bottom