Anyone using a muzzleloader ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • old06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Keithville La
    Any one out there still using a muzzleloader during primitive weapon season. I”am still stuck on the old front loader hope to get out and shoot it in the next day or so.I have a CVA Kodiak 50 cal with a 3 X 9 Simmons my load is a 295 grain power belt hollow point with a load of 90 grains of 777. Last year was the first time I hunted during the primitive segment. An I really want to get one using this set up. Just about everyone I know is using a single shot center fire the last holdouts are me and a good friend of mine who got me started on a muzzleloader.

old06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Keithville La
    I use a muzzleloader. I shoot 100gr of pyrodex and a 325gr T/C shockwave bullet. It makes big holes in whitetails.:D

I Guess were the last two left for the front stuffers I’ am going to do a little range work in the am hope to get it working right off and practice a little. I was wanting to see a few more hold overs

FrankJr

Tazer,Mace,then Miranda
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 12, 2007
    Zachary, La
    I'm going to Missouri in Nov on a Muzzleloader hunt. Bought a used TC Encore in great shape just for this trip, sure is a leap up from my old CVA 100 buck walmart special I had. I've been using one down here since I was old enough to go hunting, any extra time in the woods should be taken advantage of.

old06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Keithville La
    For some reason my old load fell flat on it’s face wouldn’t do better then 4 inches or so I had brought a lb of Pyrodex and some 240 Hornady XTP MAG we played a little wit the Pyrodex at a 100 grains and it shrunk to about 2 inches but no better then we went with a 100 grains of 777 and it went back to a 1 ½ inches there was times last year where bullet holes were touching with the power belts it makes me say Hmmmmm when things like this happen it kind of rattled me for a while

old06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Keithville La
    I'm going to Missouri in Nov on a Muzzleloader hunt. Bought a used TC Encore in great shape just for this trip, sure is a leap up from my old CVA 100 buck walmart special I had. I've been using one down here since I was old enough to go hunting, any extra time in the woods should be taken advantage of.

Sounds like a great time Frank the muzzleloader market has gone soft her to been seeing some good deals on new and used equipment.

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    yes,I am kind of a traditionalist when it comes to muzzle loaders. I shoot a .50 Lyman Great Plains Rifle, loaded with 70 gr FFF and a patched round ball.
    Keep my shots within 75 yards.

Last edited:

old06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Keithville La
    yes,I am kind of a traditionalist when it comes to muzzle loaders. I shoot a .50 Lyman Great Plains Rifle, loaded with 70 gr FFF and a patched round ball.
    Keep my shots within 75 yards.

Now that’s great to hear that how my buddy is he has a inline with 209 primers but still uses his percussion. I dont know what type it is but he has several deer to there credit

Summit_Ace

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Now that’s great to hear that how my buddy is he has a inline with 209 primers but still uses his percussion. I dont know what type it is but he has several deer to there credit

It took a while to come up with a good load. Had to switch from FF to FFF and mess with the volume. Also went to a .018 patch from a .015. It took some tinkering but now I am comfortable making ethical shots to 75 yards. Gun could do better but with iron sights my eyes will not.

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    I could not bring myself to go the 44-70 route so I still use my Thompson Omega in 50 cal. Use 3-50 grain pellets of Pyrodex and a smaller 245 grain T/C round. I have not shot it past 150 yards, but killed 2 at that range. To me primitive is still primitive.

old06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Keithville La
    I could not bring myself to go the 44-70 route so I still use my Thompson Omega in 50 cal. Use 3-50 grain pellets of Pyrodex and a smaller 245 grain T/C round. I have not shot it past 150 yards, but killed 2 at that range. To me primitive is still primitive.

I feel the same I passed on 2 deals just a few weeks back 1st was a H & R in 500 S & W for 100 used and the other was a new Rossi in 45 - 70 for 189 don’t feel like it would be primitive wepon

old06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Keithville La
    Now maybe we could convince DFW to declare a muzzleloader season along with a separate primitive gun season like it starting a week after bow season starts.

Digger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    A muzzleloader is the only rifle I use for Deer hunting. Instead of using the modern muzzleloaders I strictly use Flintlock Rifles. I use a .54 cal. Smooth Rifle and A .50 cal. rifled Barreled. When I started shooting them in 1977 the modern ones didn't exist.
    Digger

old06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Keithville La
    A muzzleloader is the only rifle I use for Deer hunting. Instead of using the modern muzzleloaders I strictly use Flintlock Rifles. I use a .54 cal. Smooth Rifle and A .50 cal. rifled Barreled. When I started shooting them in 1977 the modern ones didn't exist.
    Digger

You are truly a traditionalist even though I’ am million miles from being one I think about how tough it was way back then to keep food on the table. I spent 2 hrs after shooting breaking down the gun to clean it, out enjoyment thinking back then it was a daily duty after hunting to keep this tool working.

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I have used a smoke pole for many years, but with the change in state laws I have changed to a single shot 45-70. which I re-load.And Its a lot of fun.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    My dad used a muzzle loader. T/C encore for primative and I use the same gun with a 308barrel on it for rifle. If he gets a 45-70 or a .444 he will used that and I will start using the muzzle loader during primative.

Last edited:

old06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Keithville La
    I’ am really getting anxious to get out there and try to get one with my smoke pole. I came home sick yesterday from work with a temp of 102 and between sleeping coughing and channel flipping I watched several good hunting shows with them using a muzzleloader and its got me pumped or maybe it’s the Nitequil

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Gave away my muzzleloader. Now I'm going to Arkansas for the black powder season and will have to borrow one. Funny how you can hunt with full-auto, suppressed firearms and still have to use black powder for the primitive season.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom