Anyone using a muzzleloader ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rm76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2007
    Texas
    A muzzleloader is the only rifle I use for Deer hunting. Instead of using the modern muzzleloaders I strictly use Flintlock Rifles. I use a .54 cal. Smooth Rifle and A .50 cal. rifled Barreled. When I started shooting them in 1977 the modern ones didn't exist.
    Digger

Well, we must be dinosaurs! I dont use a flintlock, but do use a Hatfield semi-custom percussion (later Hawken replica) in .54 caliber and blackpowder. Have for almost 20 years now. Although I often use this during regular deer season also, I still like to use centerfires occassionally. Guys, there's nothing like the adrenalin rush with the smell of black powder and thick smoke in the morning following a shot while immediately analyzing your shot placement in your mind before heading off to look for your game! There is also the experience of the occassional hangfire with a nice buck in your sights and the frustration of picking your head up after only a click, only to have to gun fire a half-second later with the buck bounding off. But you just know that your ancessors experienced the same thing. There's just something about a truely primitive weapon that takes you back, like nothing else can!

old06

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Keithville La
    Gave away my muzzleloader. Now I'm going to Arkansas for the black powder season and will have to borrow one. Funny how you can hunt with full-auto, suppressed firearms and still have to use black powder for the primitive season.:rolleyes:

I haven't gone the way of the black gun for my hunting but have found that I like the primitive aspect more and more

rm76
    Well, we must be dinosaurs! I dont use a flintlock, but do use a Hatfield semi-custom percussion (later Hawken replica) in .54 caliber and blackpowder. Have for almost 20 years now. Although I often use this during regular deer season also, I still like to use centerfires occassionally. Guys, there's nothing like the adrenalin rush with the smell of black powder and thick smoke in the morning following a shot while immediately analyzing your shot placement in your mind before heading off to look for your game! There is also the experience of the occassional hangfire with a nice buck in your sights and the frustration of picking your head up after only a click, only to have to gun fire a half-second later with the buck bounding off. But you just know that your ancessors experienced the same thing. There's just something about a truely primitive weapon that takes you back, like nothing else can!

m76
    The forefathers had to be on top of there game just to put meat on the table the subject came up on another forum about Lewis and Clark about the amount of powder and lead they took and the amount that was consumed on the way

rm76

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2007
    Texas
    Yeah, I read the original Lewis and Clark journals back when I was in college, as well as many of the books about the Fur Trade and Mountain men -- and that was one of the main reasons I got interested in shooting and hunting with round ball and black powder. I guess when that is the only firearm you know and had to use it often, you get pretty proficient with it. Actually, a round ball out of a well made rifle was fairly accurate and effective out to about a 100 yards. Also, I was astonished to learn when reading those journals, that the animals seemed to be a whole lot less weary of humans than they are today. Lewis and Clark often wrote about walking or riding right up to deer, elk, bear and such. The animals just didn't seem spooked like they are today. I guess after generation after generation of man's pursuit after the animals with firearms, they learn to adapt by being more spooky. Anyway, the material and supply list of the Lewis and Clark expedition was listed in their journals and contained a great amount of supplies, but i can't remember right off hand how much powder and lead they took. It was pretty cleaver though -- the powder was packed in kegs made out of lead, which completely sealed the powder. So, the amount of lead in the keg was matched about right for the powder it held. They made several caches of powder/lead and other food and supplies on their way up, which they retrieved on their way back. It was very interesting (and informative) reading. Talk about some tough guys -- they were certainly tough men back then.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Well not too primative, BUT it is a end loader! I shoot the Encore with 250 Gr. T/C Shockwave's and 130gr 777. Great shooter and has put one down at 205 yrds two years ago.

I do have one of the 45-70 H&R's but my son uses it exclusively I am into the smoke pole end loaders!

I must admit I have lost a few deer with it BUT that was using the PowerBelt's..... since going over to the shockwaves, I have shot it (at deer)3 times and my daughter once and no problem locating deer and or blood!

I will be picking it out of the cabinet in a few weeks, BUT I will be in the woods Thursday morning with stick and string!

PS: Powerbelts are great for killing paper targest, best accuracy you will find and easy loading as well, but NO EXPANSION, no blood trails and no dropped deer!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom