Anyone with a Mosin Nagant 91/30 Need help!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goatman

Gone hunting or fishing!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    Bossier City, Louisiana
    I got one now and going to get two more when I find them. I was just wondering what stock and or scope setup yall are using?

Im also trying to get the recoil out of one so Im thinking of changing the stock out and then want to build one with a different type of stock.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    The 7.62x54r cartridge is a a hefty one and will always have substantial recoil. You can buy a rubber buttpad for your Mosin which will help somewhat over the steel buttpad, and if the recoil is still too harsh, maybe try some of the 'low recoil' training ammo which has almost no recoil.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    the original stock is the only good looking one out there. so I stuck with that on mine

and the only scope setup that looks good is either the PU or PEM, or even PSO options.

erazir

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Baton Rouge, La.
    there are a lot of reproduction scopes out there that are really nice and not too hard on the wallet. If i ever picked one up with an unrepairable stock, I'd switch to a monte carlo. However, most of them that I ahve seen can be cleaned up to be absolutely beautiful. They do kick like a mule, but you can get a recoil pad or a rubber buttstock pad.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    The 7.62x54r cartridge is a a hefty one and will always have substantial recoil. You can buy a rubber buttpad for your Mosin which will help somewhat over the steel buttpad, and if the recoil is still too harsh, maybe try some of the 'low recoil' training ammo which has almost no recoil.
    only from the prone or from the bench.

but from the standing or kneeling it's much softer on the recoil.

Josh Smith

Hoosier
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Hello,

When I mount a 'scope, I use a scout mount from Brass Stacker, and their NcStar 2.75x 'scope. I also use one of their ammo carriers that has a raised cheek rest.

While I enjoy that setup, I really don't shoot much past 200 yards and do not, therefore, need a 'scope.

If I were doing a permanent mount, I'd use a PEM mount and Zeiss 'scope, though perhaps a more modern version.

Pay attention to the Finnish M39 trigger, shims, and the Soviet way of modifying a sniper. These are surprisingly excellent shooters when properly set up, and they are capable of outshooting many modern rifles.

The Russians and Finns have won several gold medals with their Mosins.

Josh

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La

Try shooting an M44.. Holy crap and a half... That is recoil..LOL

dmurph

Serious as dick cancer!
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Huntsville, TX
    I am a fan of the factory stock. I have owned several of these rifle ranging from a 38 to 44 to 91/30, in my experience the monte carlo stock offered by ATI is a poor fit and required fitting/modification in order to make it functional. I am restoring a 38 at the moment for my father-in-law, it is a vietnam bring home that is "custom fitted" in a M1 carbine stock (yikes). best of luck

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    All your problems fixed at one place. Sportsman's Guide has a 2-7x scout scope, rings, mosin mount, sling, and rubber buttplate for less than $70.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=929918

Here's what the scope looks like on my mauser (click to enlarge the photo):

View attachment 29558

If you just want a rubber buttplate for the mosin, mine is for sale along with the sling (didn't need them, just wanted the scope and mount) for $20 (postage extra).

View attachment 29556View attachment 29557

Last edited:

gcab985

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Raceland, LA
    Hi,
    I have a slip on "Beartooth" butt pad that works great. I also have used the training ammunition from SG Ammo. It has a 42 grain bullet (I believe that is the weight). Shoots great out to 100 yards but is supposed to be accurate to 200 yards. No recoil to speak of.

Depending on the rifle that you have, the original sight may be easily removed by driving out the two pins that hold on the sight. You then have a 3/8" dovetail. I then mounted a low cost scout scope using NC Star ring mount (Item# RB27). I used locktite on the mounting screws. I have run about 200 rounds through the rifle with no problems. It is a 1942 Ishvsk rifle.

Gcab985

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Hi,
    I also have used the training ammunition from SG Ammo. It has a 42 grain bullet (I believe that is the weight). Shoots great out to 100 yards but is supposed to be accurate to 200 yards. No recoil to speak of.
    Gcab985

+1 That's what I use on dillos out here in Lizard Creek

They still jump when you hit them with the Moisin but just not as high as withh 22 magnum lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom