Apparently I need a jack hammer to get this barrel nut off.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Hey JJOKER

just remember my advise brother, before you shoot it tie a string to the trigger and get about 10 feet away from it to test JUST IN CASE.

hahahahahahahhahahahahaha

COngrats, told u to get a cheater bar foool!
    \

I know...I just couldnt find one. as soon as it popped loose I heard you say "I told you!" :)

Hey this is how your learn right.

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Just interested, was there any grease or anti-seize compound on the old barrel nut, I mean usually it comes off with heat, I recently invested in a tight vise block, it really helps from taking all the creep out, obviously that bitch was galled on there !!! I always have a spare milspec barrel nut on hand for a tight one, a cheater bar is the key as well

Last edited:

jjoker16

Rating - 98.3%
    57   1   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Ascension Parish
    Just interested, was there any grease or anti-seize compound on the old barrel nut, I mean usually it comes off with heat, I recently invested in a tight vise block, it really helps from taking all the creep out, obviously that bitch was galled on there !!!

NO nothing just a little oil on the threads.

and Richard. I will. where can i get some?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Just interested, was there any grease or anti-seize compound on the old barrel nut, I mean usually it comes off with heat, I recently invested in a tight vise block, it really helps from taking all the creep out, obviously that bitch was galled on there !!! I always have a spare milspec barrel nut on hand for a tight one, a cheater bar is the key as well

Colt doesn't use anything fancy on the nut, they just tend to tighten the hell out of them. I remember reading one guy said his was torqued to over 85ft-lbs. :eek3:

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    You can probably run right up the road to advance auto, or lowe's and get a tube of LocTite C5-A, which, IIRC, is the golden glock grease. I have a bottle of never-seize at home, but I have a feeling you want this thing back together ASAP.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    No I will wait and do it right. Ill head over to the auto store or lowes tomorrow.

So are you saying to use lock tite and grease or.
    Lock tite or grease?

Loctite C5-A is a copper based, anti-sieze compound.
    DO NOT use loctite thread locker on there ;)

The mil-spec calls for grease on the threads, a Molybedum Disulfide, IIRC, so you can go to a gunshop and get something like the Hi-Slip, or Brownells action lube, etc, but I use Anti-Sieze compound personally.

kpm

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Prairieville, LA
    You can probably run right up the road to advance auto, or lowe's and get a tube of LocTite C5-A, which, IIRC, is the golden glock grease. I have a bottle of never-seize at home, but I have a feeling you want this thing back together ASAP.

Just curious as I'm about to embark on a similar venture... would shotgun choke tube grease work for this app? It looks like that gray never seize stuff.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Just curious as I'm about to embark on a similar venture... would shotgun choke tube grease work for this app? It looks like that gray never seize stuff.

Probably so. People use plain 'ole wheel bearing grease, but I prefer one of the metallic based anti-sieze compounds, especially since you are screwing a steel barrel nut onto aluminum threads.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    If you are near a gun shop, pick up a tube of Knight breech plug grease. It's all I use for my choke tubes and have never had one stick.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Loctite C5-A is a copper based, anti-sieze compound.
    DO NOT use loctite thread locker on there ;)

The mil-spec calls for grease on the threads, a Molybedum Disulfide, IIRC, so you can go to a gunshop and get something like the Hi-Slip, or Brownells action lube, etc, but I use Anti-Sieze compound personally.

I have some of the copper-colored stuff that Glock uses but we mostly use the Permatex anti-seize with nickel on the turbine engines.

16160031_ptx_77164_pri_larg.jpg

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Just use any grease designed to be used on auto brake pads. It's high temp, it's cheap, and it falls within spec. If you were around BR I'd give you some. I bought a big tub of it years ago. I think it grows more of it when I'm not looking cause it still looks like I never took any out.

Dave

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    It comes in the little squeeze tubes as well, but you cant never have enough and it never goes bad.

If you have any friends who work in the oilfield they can hook you up with it as its widely used!

Top Bottom