Apparently LEGAL guns are the problem in the hood...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should people in government housing be allowed firearms?

• Total voters

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'd love to know how many guns used in crimes are stolen from those living in gov't housing......

.....and how many of those were hot in the first place.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    For all you younger guys & gals:

When I was young, we had guns in LSU dorms, churches, and airliners. I can't recall one incidence of this causing a problem.

We had razor-sharp pocket knives in our jeans at school, and I never heard of one being drawn in a schoolyard fight.

Our parents and grandparents taught us to behave responsibly and to respect others and their properties.

The attitudes and behaviors are the problems, not inanimate objects.

When will these nuckleheads ever come to realize that the people who obey the no-firearm restrictions are ALWAYS the wrong ones?

leVieux

I'm old enough to remember some of those days. You're right.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I wouldn't outlaw ownership of guns in the projects. I do think they shouldn't be spending money on new guns while they're trying to get out of a project. I'm going to say they can't own their grandpa's pistol if they live there though.

Those projects need to be dispersed. Project communities need to be broken up into no more than a few families together. Part of their rent needs to be allocated to a savings account to be put towards the downpayment on a real apartment or towards a downpayment on an inexpensive home. Maybe one confiscated by the city?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I can't think of a better place to allow a citizen to own a firearm. As others have pointed out, those who are going to pose a threat have had guns in that place long before this discussion began.

The only difference between these public housing projects and the neighborhoods in which we live is the higher propensity for crime and the close proximity of so many residents. That said, the only real problem I see in "allowing" guns in these areas is that they might be easier to steal, and more likely to end up in the wrong hands.

All of that said, +1 to Spanky.

Why is this even a question?

Kraut

LEO
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 3, 2007
    Slidell, LA
    I've met, on many occasions, people living in public housing that weren't lazy, layabout, thug-ass criminals. It's just their unfortunate circumstance that the government won't 'scerminate against the lazy, layabout, thug-ass criminals and deny them housing, so they have to live in the middle of the festering sh!thole that most public housing becomes due to the acceptance of above said lazy, layabout, thug-ass criminals. Some where honestly trying to get out, some due to disabilities and limited skills/income had no opportunity to go anywhere else. There's no reason good people who, through whatever circumstances are brought low on the economic scale, should be denied their God-given right to self defense. Someone asked it earlier: Why is this even a question?

ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    Wow. I can't belive anyone on THIS board would say "no." Amazing.

"A person shouldn't be forced to give up his Second Amendment rights just to have a roof over his head. Many public housing projects are high-crime areas where people most desperately need the right to defend themselves. NRA has long fought this battle both in the courts and in legislatures around the country and recently settled a similar lawsuit against the San Francisco Housing Authority."

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/read.aspx?id=5368

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    Wow. I can't belive anyone on THIS board would say "no." Amazing.

"A person shouldn't be forced to give up his Second Amendment rights just to have a roof over his head. Many public housing projects are high-crime areas where people most desperately need the right to defend themselves. NRA has long fought this battle both in the courts and in legislatures around the country and recently settled a similar lawsuit against the San Francisco Housing Authority."

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/read.aspx?id=5368
    There are other roofs they can put over their head. For instance any roof not paid for by other peoples tax money.

Lewgee

USMC VET OIF * *
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    St Charles
    Active duty service members cannot have their privately owned firearms in their barracks.

>>I guess we should make a tax on firearms to help them afford these guns too..like we do for telephone...

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    That does not void anyone's Constitutional right.
    I do think they should be able to have guns but the courts have shown that a person who rents can have certain things banned including guns. The idea is if you want to have a gun then you don't have to go there. Same with stores that post a no gun sign. I don't know how the court would view it but I tend to think they would say seeing as the person is getting government aid in the for of housing then they fall under any rules the government wants to enforce on them just as if they were renting from a private person.

Jed

Bloody Foreigner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Clearwater Beach, FL
    I voted no.
    If you are in government housing then how are you able to afford firearms/ammunition?
    That said, if the tenant stole them borrowed them or was gifted them that's a different issue, but if my taxes go to subsidise your accomodation then no.

ejt1469

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    If you are in government housing then how are you able to afford firearms/ammunition?
    ...or socks or toothpaste or bus fare or stamps or whatever...I hate the abuse of the public welfare system, but I will fight for everyone's Constitutional rights...if someone losses theirs, you could be next. You got an SBA loan, student loan, cash for clunkers, child tax credit......

Top Bottom