APPLESEED - rifle marksmanship

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    There are spots open for the Slidell event on October 27-28 for those not shooting in the Gator Classic.

Also, while a mag-fed .22 is a great choice, you can learn a lot at Appleseed with whatever rifle you have. Tube-feds and even single shots. But a semi-auto .22 with a magazine (bring at least 2) lets you focus on the skills.

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Thanks for a great weekend Dan, Thomas, Steve, Alan and all the rest. Great learning experience, wonderful comradeship and tasty food. You guys and gals are salt of the Earth. We'll be back. Ain't gonna cook for Mr Morgan for long.

Last edited:
    J

jayd

What type of rifles do you usually see at an Appleseed, mostly .22s or ARs?

Leonidas

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Slidell
    Hey jayd, long time. Gotta find a replacement for the BZ.

This weekend was at Camp Villere on the STPSO range. 25 meters, so it was all rimfire. Depends on where it is. I've read that they've actually had folks take the course with Mosin's.

My wife shot this weekend; I just observed. Eliska (a member here) ran the shoot, and he has another one going at Amite in 3 weeks. I'm going to try to make that one. Otherwise, I'll make one in Biloxi in the spring. We thoroughly enjoyed it, and benefited.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    What type of rifles do you usually see at an Appleseed, mostly .22s or ARs?

By far, we see .22s. They are cheaper (usually) to buy and certainly cheaper to run. And all the skills that you learn behind a .22 will translate to a bigger caliber. At Villere, we are only allowed to use .22s. In Amite, anything goes. That said, we may go through 3-400 rounds in a weekend. That can get expensive, even in .223.

Please let me know if I can help.
    Dan

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    Hey Dan, what's the range that we are going to be shooting at in Amite? Is it 100 or 25 like at Villere?

25M like at Villere, but - depending on the group and our progress - we may get to move back to 100-ish on Sunday afternoon.
    For those not familiar with Appleseed, the targets are scaled for use at 25M, but replicate shooting at 100 - 400 yards. After all, 4MOA is 4 MOA at any distance.

eliska

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    New Orleans
    There are spots open for the event in Amite on November 17-18. My wife's world-famous jambalaya will be served on Saturday for lunch.

Top Bottom