Applying for License - Used to Take Anti-Anxiety Meds

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • southernbelle041

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    LA
    I've completed all of the requirements to apply for my CCW license. However, I fell sort of stuck because at the training, I noticed that the application has several questions about mental health. I have taken anti-anxiety medications on and off in the past. However, before I got pregnant with my daughter 2 years ago, I weaned off of them and don't plan on getting back on them (unless I go through something traumatic). I've never been committed or anything like that.

My issue is with my psych doctor. First, I haven't seen her in 2+ years. Second, she is very liberal in nature, and I really don't think she will sign the medical release.
    So, now I'm very sad that I've come this far and now I'm at another wall. My instructor said that I could get a release from a general doctor, but the application said it has to be the "treating physician".
    I'm confused. Should I just assume that I will be denied and not even bother applying?
    Thank you in advance!

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've completed all of the requirements to apply for my CCW license. However, I fell sort of stuck because at the training, I noticed that the application has several questions about mental health. I have taken anti-anxiety medications on and off in the past. However, before I got pregnant with my daughter 2 years ago, I weaned off of them and don't plan on getting back on them (unless I go through something traumatic). I've never been committed or anything like that.

My issue is with my psych doctor. First, I haven't seen her in 2+ years. Second, she is very liberal in nature, and I really don't think she will sign the medical release.
    So, now I'm very sad that I've come this far and now I'm at another wall. My instructor said that I could get a release from a general doctor, but the application said it has to be the "treating physician".
    I'm confused. Should I just assume that I will be denied and not even bother applying?
    Thank you in advance!

"A coin can land as either heads or tails; but only if tossed!"
    Emperor Original Motivational Quote

Additionally, ANY "primary" physician can be your "treating" physician.

Deerslayer440

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 27, 2017
    Sulphur
    +1

Just make sure you find a dr that is not left winged nutjob.

But yes,you should be able to get a new dr, tell them,you
    don't need the meds anymore.They may have to evaluate
    you for a few months,depending on the dr,but normally
    they will.

My son went through the same thing to get his CCW.Ill
    ask him if there is anything extra to do.But I don't think
    there is.

Then it should be no issue for a sign off:)

Good luck to ya,hope all goes well.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    If you started going to a new doctor wouldn’t that doctor be your treating physician? Maybe pick a new doctor tell him/her what you need and tell that doctor you don’t mind being evaluated 1st.

Best of luck to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MiyaMarukutsune
    Top Bottom