Appropriate guns for CCW class (check for appropriates)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Appropriate or Not for CCW Class

• 6 Inch Colt Python .357 Magnum

Votes: 19 32.8%
    • 8 Inch S&W Model 29 44 Magnum

Votes: 11 19.0%
    • 2.5 Inch Rohm RG-8 .22 revolver

Votes: 12 20.7%
    • S&W Model 37 Airweight 38 Spl

Votes: 36 62.1%
    • Springfield XD-9 SC 9mm

Votes: 43 74.1%
    • EAA Witness .45 Compact

Votes: 29 50.0%
    • High Standard Plinker .22 semi-auto

Votes: 12 20.7%
    • Desert Eagle .50 AE

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    When I first got my CHP I didn't take a class I used my DD214. First renewal I shot my Sig. Second renewal I shot my Sig. Last renewal they changed the CHP form to Pistol or Revolver or both, so I still shot my Sig and took a S&W model 36 to I could check both. I didn't want to get in a shooting with a Revolver and have some slick lawyer come back and say I was qualified to carry it.

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I understand the comment, but try to get the person that you care about the most, and its usually a girl, to carry a gun,and if the gun kicks like a SOAB, she will not carry it at all, and even a 22 is better than nothing at all, head shot, 22 works !!
    Anything less than the 50 and you might as well bring a slingshot and tampon.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    What- No Draco?:confused:

:D Like the other folks suggest, bring whatever you feel the most comfortable with.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    When I was taking my last renewal I saw a guy I know getting his first permit. He wanted to know what I was going to shoot. I told him the gun I carry everyday.
    He said he was going to shoot his .22 because it was cheaper.
    I told him if he couldn't afford a box of ammo he should have stayed at home and saved the money.
    He is retired and money was not a problem he was just too cheap to do the class like it should be done.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    I allow my students to qualify with any handgun but on your poll I voted for all but the 44 and 50 cuz they might be somewhat "distracting" to some of the novice shooters. On second thought, however, I think that it would be fun/entertaining/interesting for the noobies to see these in action after they finished shooting. It may also illustrate why I don't recommend these calibers for CCW.

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Come on man !!!I;m retired and money is always a problem...
    When I was taking my last renewal I saw a guy I know getting his first permit. He wanted to know what I was going to shoot. I told him the gun I carry everyday.
    I told him if he couldn't afford a box of ammo he should have stayed at home and saved the money.
    He is retired and money was not a problem he was just too cheap to do the class like it should be done.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    I allow my students to qualify with any handgun but on your poll I voted for all but the 44 and 50 cuz they might be somewhat "distracting" to some of the novice shooters. On second thought, however, I think that it would be fun/entertaining/interesting for the noobies to see these in action after they finished shooting. It may also illustrate why I don't recommend these calibers for CCW.

Well in all honesty I don't think I would pick the Model 29 44 Magnum, the checkered walnut grips can get to be a bit abbrasive and sting a bit after a few dozen rounds, I just thought it rounded out the list of revolvers when contrasted with the Rohm .22.

As to my wife I am not too concerned about her being recoil sensitive, as she has fired a 44 Magnum revovler before and liked it (not sure of the model)

Last edited:

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Actually someone did bring an 8" .357 to my first ccw class...

Well I do also have a 4 inch Colt Lawman .357, may be a little less flashy than the Python, I should probbaly mention that the Python had trigger work done on it at some point in its past and has the lightest single action trigger I have ever felt on any gun. (the Python has an unknown history, it was a gift from the local Sheriff to my step father, I think it may have came from a major drug bust back in the early 1980's)

On a more serious note, do you think the 5 round capacity of the S&W Airweight would be an issue during the class, from what I have read it involves shooting 6 round groups?

Last edited:

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    What- No Draco?:confused:

That was my first thought!

Maybe next time around I'll show up with my "Hitman 9"

O
    r this:

m9-119mm.jpg

and when it comes time to shoot, hold it sideways over my head pointed down at the target and yell, "BREAK YOSELF FOOL!" as I empty the magazine into the target.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    when i took my CHP course, there were women who couldn't even cock the gun they were going to use to carry... take your wife to the range and make sure she can operate the weapon..

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    In my first renewal class the had a husband & wife taking the class. Husband was a big man with big hands. He had some really small semi auto he was going to shoot. The instructor was a LSP LT. and he told him the gun was really too small for his hand and he would have trouble shooting it.
    Well big man was in the lane next to me and shot his little gun. The slide ripped open is hand open the first shot, but his wife was a RN and took care of him.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    I posted all but the Desert Eagle (and almost selected it). Really any gun is appropriate as long as it gets you qualified to carry anything. BUT, I would choose something more practical. I like to qualify with something I might carry. Knowing you can handle your carry gun in a situation when it matters (like a qualification test) tells you how good (or bad) you really are (of course their requirements are pretty minimal, depending on the instructor, but still a certain amount of pressure is there).

A 6 or 8 inch barrel or a .50 caliber cannon or a .22 plinker is really not realisitc though

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Take and fire the one you plan on being your carry gun. Of course, there's no reason not to take them all.
    When NOLATAC came to teach a class at Diamond in Baton Rouge I brought the Bersa Thunder 380 that I planned to quallify with but I also brought other guns such as my Ruger Mark 2 .22cal, my Star BM 9mm, my Davis .22mag derringer and some extra ammo for all of them. After we finished the class including the shooting portion, some of us stayed to shoot some more. A couple of us offered our weapons to classmates to fire. "Here. Try this. Put a magazine through it and see how it feels." Keep in mind that many CHP students aren't "gun people" and haven't fired a range of guns. I've attended refreshers where at least 1 student was there with a gun they had never fired or didn't even own a gun and was borrowing one from the instructor to qualify with. So if they are offered a chance to fire a few different calibers and platforms they often jump at it. The other guys there doing the same had guns I had never fired before that day and I was delighted to be able to put a few rounds down range through their guns. One guy had brought his M1A rifle. When he offered to let me shoot it I was thrilled. What a great way to end a otherwise long day.
    So take them all. Take a box of ammo for each. Donate some to the cause of educating and encouraging your fellow gun owners. I did and I don't regret it a bit.

NRA Iota

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    The Suburbs of Iota
    I agree to take and fire the one you are going to carry. I have no problem with any of my students firing whatever caliber they feel fit. If you want to fire a 50 cal 36 times, then do it....I'll clear the range and have a cast ready for your hand. Its what you are comfortable with and above all, what you can be precise and accurate with.
    I also like the idea of bringing along a few other items from the gun closet to share with others or just to have fun in general. The more you shoot, the more fun you have, the more people become interested.
    Throw some lead down range! Live hard....squeeze trigger...

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette

Why spend money if you don't have to? It's not like you're getting any actual training, and there just isn't much joy, to me, anymore in just bustin two mags into a target at like 7 and 15 feet...

Doesn't matter if I got 10 dollars or 10 million, I don't think there's reason to spend $1 per round when $1 per mag will do just as well.

Top Bottom