AR 10 build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    The only things i have read is that parts don't interchange between manufacturers. I have seen some very experienced ar15 builders recommend not attempting this.

LouisianaGunny

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 24, 2014
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I was going to recommend a PSA Upper and Lower as a good starting point. Be aware, you typically end up spending more building one than it costs to buy one outright such as the one Dragon linked. Usually because of the add ons that add up. Olympic Arms also has a lot of nice parts. You should check out their website. I'm finishing a build right now with mostly Oly Arms parts.

Last edited:

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Unless you want something custom, but a complete rifle. Cdnn has some real good deals on ubushmaster , Dpms, and Armalite 308's right now.
    I did just purchase two Dpms lowers from them and a bunch of parts from other sources to build custom side charger ar10's with adjustable cheek pieces in 6mmslr and another caliber, probably 6.5 creedmoor, for highpower and prone competition.
    Dpms and Armalite are trying to clear out all their gen 1 stuff so the price was right.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    Buy a factory rifle.

This is the ticket unless you want a specific barrel or something else extreme.

Keep in mind that the various uppers take different barrel extensions, thus possibly limiting your selections or requiring custom fitting in the event you decide to upgrade. I decided to go DMPS v Armalite back in the day when the only options were them 2 and KAC. I know JP and several others make "drop in" barrels with extensions compatible with DPMS.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    The psa pa10 parts are nice. I built a 10 from them and used a dpms low profile free float handguard. Magpul mags work. Easy to, build lower if you use the pa10 lpk. I have built 2 armalite rifles and I would suggest to always stick with the same mfg for an ar10 build.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    This is the ticket unless you want a specific barrel or something else extreme.

Keep in mind that the various uppers take different barrel extensions, thus possibly limiting your selections or requiring custom fitting in the event you decide to upgrade. I decided to go DMPS v Armalite back in the day when the only options were them 2 and KAC. I know JP and several others make "drop in" barrels with extensions compatible with DPMS.

This. I'm impressed with the value in the S&W AR-10 for a factory rifle, if you really want to build also check out Aero Precision's new AR-10 receivers. Everything they make is top notch and a great value, heard nothing but good things about the new AR-10 parts.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I loved my m&p15, and it has proved to be a good bang for the buck, and I have a feeling the m&p10 would be just as good. I personally have a sig 716, but that's Bc I was looking for an adjustable gas block so I can run suppressed

Top Bottom