AR-10 for hunting?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BradS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Lafayette, La
    I have been thinking about building a AR-10 for hunting.

I know I want a 24" fluted bbl & a stock similar to the Remington AR 15 vtr

Would this be a good gun to hunt deer with or do I need to stick to traditional hunting guns?

Im not looking to spend 2k on a rifle but I do want a good gun.

I see a lot of you like the DPMS and the Armalite. Any other that are suggested?

sandman7925

Wealthy women wanted
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    False River
    If you want to hunt with an AR10 then do so.
    I want to hunt with a Marlin 45/70 so I do.
    Others want to hunt with a Remmy 700 so they do
    And on and on.

BradS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Lafayette, La
    Thanks for the info Capt Obvious.

Maybe I should have worded my question a little different.

Does anybody hunt with one. Pros or Cons?

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I would not hesitate one bit to hunt with one. My buddy borrowed mine and killed a deer with it. Hard to beat 20ish rounds of .308 or similar at the ready. All you should need is the one in the chamber but...

BradS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Lafayette, La
    I would not hesitate one bit to hunt with one. My buddy borrowed mine and killed a deer with it. Hard to beat 20ish rounds of .308 or similar at the ready. All you should need is the one in the chamber but...

Im not even worried about having 20 on hand. I finally bought a AR15 and shoot better open sights than I have with any other gun ever so Im thinking would be a good platform for deer hunting. I just dont know anything about the .308 parts and which is the best way to go for a hunting style rifle

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Unless your hunting somewhere out of state of have a big field somewhere to sit on the edge of 24 inch barrel seems like extra weight to me. I'd at the very most have 20 inches but would probably be closer to 16 carbine length to carry through woods. Saying this though the area I hunt a 300 yard shot would be a LONG shot. Usally to get a clear shot through timbers it's 200 or less. But then this is why I went with 300 blackout instead of .308. For the money a DPMS AR 10 style weapon will be hard to beat. IF not not dead set on AR platform FAL, M1A or PTR 91 are all good options aswell.

BradS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Lafayette, La
    That makes sense. I do hunt some places in Bama that have some pretty good distance shots. I hunt the Simmsport area some too

Im gonna look into the others as well. I just know I like the AR platform.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    An AR in 308 or 300BLK is my plan for my general medium game gun. Mainly thinking 300BLK because then I could suppress it for ear-safety (I never wear ear pro, hunting) if we can ever hunt game (non nuisance) with suppressors. That's a long term dream though...

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    You can suppress 308 just as easy.
    Sure can but it will be a heavier gun. I was just sugesting if he wasn't going to be shooting long range and didn't mean to drift of topic. Even with 600 yard shots or so I still wouldn't have a 24 inch barrel unless my stand was completly acessable by 4 wheeler . I would think 20 inches would be ideal.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I agree 24 is not necessary. I have a 21" and I have shot at 500 with it no problem. The advantage of a 300BLK is that if you already have a AR15 then all you have to do is swap uppers. But you are going to be shooting lighter weight bullets and not have the same range as a 308 but really at the typical ranges you shoot in LA/MS it probably doesn't matter. It all goes back to correct bullet choice and shot placement. But if I had the choice for a hunting gun 308>300BLK

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    My main hunting rifle is a DPMS 260L.
    It's amazing at 300 yards.

DMPS does make a H model, but I preffer the L.

The 24" heavy barrel is way too heavy for me. (well varmint hunting prairie dogs maybe)

Remingont makes an R-25 in 308 and 7mm-08

I have a 26" long barrel 308 and I love it, but I'm not hunting with it again unless I'm set up somewhere for a 400-600yard shot on a clear cut or pipeline.

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    First off it's going to be HEAVY. I have an Armalite 20" and weighs in at 11 lbs. If your walk in not too long then go for it. I have taken about a dozen deer with it and it shoots lights out. 24" is going to be long in the stand. I use a suppressor in MS and it adds considerable length to the gun but in a box stand it's not too bad with only 18" sticking out of the window. I am going to an 18" barrel in the near future also. DPMS offers more variety and if I had to do it again would probably go that route.

Good Luck

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Thanks for the info Capt Obvious.

Maybe I should have worded my question a little different.

Does anybody hunt with one. Pros or Cons?

I sometimes hunt with a DPMS LR243 which is basically the same thing. I think you will be disappointed with the 24" barrel. I use the 20" barrel and the rifle with the scope on it can be pretty heavy. Depending on where you will be hunting you may want to consider the 20"....or less.

As far as the platform......of course its a great platform.

On another note.....you can usually buy the DPMS in one of the larger calibers for less than you can actually acquire all the parts and build it yourself. I was going to build one but for less than a grand you can just buy the rifle already built. Buying the parts from DPMS would yield a price higher than that.

Edit: I just looked at DPMS' website and they have went up a little about about 1100.00 per rifle. When I got mine a few last August they were still in the 900.00 range.

Last edited:

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    Just check the game laws where you hunt as far as MAG capacity......other than that any of the above mentioned would be fine for whitetail hunting......Personally I see NO need for whitetail hunting with more than a 5 round mag. I have a few 5's for my FAL that I use for hunting.......

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    kajuntriton, do you also think that No honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun? ;)
    This thread was about hunting with a semi-auto rifle! I stated that he should check local laws where he hunts! MANY areas / states do NOT allow semi-auto nor bolt action rifles to have capacity’s over 5 rounds!
    As far as my opinion on needing more than 5 rounds while hunting Whitetail deer, that is just what it was…….MY OPINION!!
    I try and live by the ONE shot ONE kill method when it comes to hunting wild game! It's about accuracy and bullet placement along with ethical hunting techniques!

It is NOT about filling the woods with lead shooting at an animal after it is long gone and you are shooting at a flag with reckless abandonment!
    BUT YOU may be one of the idiots that do just that!!

KT

And just for sake of argument, IF you would know anything about me, YOU would have known that was just about as a DUMB-ASS question to ask.....me of ALL PEOPLE!!!!
    So I would suggest you take your thread troll ass out and move ON!!

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    I hunt with my 18" FAL and really enjoy spending time in the woods with it. I have 5 and 10 round mags for it just because they are more compact. I have taken several deer and hogs with it and it works just fine. I do not take it to places where I might have shots over about 150 yards, but that is just my own personal limit for comfort. If I am after a big deer that I have been watching on the game cam or somplace I might have to take a long shot, I usually take my M77 in 308. That is my for sure 1 shot 1 kill gun. When it goes boom, meat is on the ground. Being able to make quick follow up shots with the FAL is a real plus when there are a bunch of pigs on the corn though.
    Use what you want as long as it is enough gun, have fun, and be safe.

Top Bottom