AR-15 .22 conversion kit...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gravytrain

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Lafayette
    Just wondering if anyone else has bought one of these? I have the cmmg brand and I've gotta say, it's probably the best accessory I've got so far.. After one shooting it pretty much pays for itself. The only issue I have with it is when I am finish, the .22 bolt doesn't come out as easy as the original bolt. I usually have to pull both pins and remove the upper. Anyone else have this issue?

gravytrain

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Lafayette
    Yep that's all ya do. Pull out the .223 action, slip in the .22 one and you're set to go. It took me 200 rds to stop having hangups, been flawless since.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    It cost me over $500 for my Spike's upper, but that was with 5 mags. Also I run the upper without lube as the instructions say. The first time I took it out and I did lube it just a bit, I had issues. This last time I took it out without lube, it ran really well. Mine took a few mags to get on track, hopefully others don't. But it's a great investment with either the drop in kit or the upper.

graymo2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    New Orleans/ Baton Rouge
    I just dont want the 22 ammo trashing my 223 upper. I'm not buying either right away, but my thinking is the upper would be better. $200 for a kit or $500 for an upper.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I just dont want the 22 ammo trashing my 223 upper. I'm not buying either right away, but my thinking is the upper would be better. $200 for a kit or $500 for an upper.

How would it trash your upper? The bullets are traveling at half the velocity or less. Even if you shot enough to wear out your barrel, a new one is cheaper than $300.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    M261 kit and a "Buttload" of Black Dog magazines. I use an A1 upper that is practically dedicated to it. Works great.

p.s. I have been using it since around 1997 and it hasn't trashed my upper. Pull it out, wipe it out, add a little oil and regular bolt. Viola, shooting .223 no problemo.

Be well guys.
    Al

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    One of the problems faced by using an adapter is that the barrel twist on the "newer" ARs are too fast to stabalize the small, light .22 rimfire bullet. So, if you don't use it in an SP1 or A1 type upper your accuracy will not be very good anyway. I do use my M261 in an Olympic Arms XM177 barrel (1 in 10 twist) and it works fine but, in my Bull 24 in ( 1 in 9 twist) it is not so hot. It works well with the Aguila SSS (sub sonic sniper) ammo though.

Just some food for thought.
    Al

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I'm not thinking of barrel wear. Im thinking of how dirty the 22 ammo makes all of my guns i shoot it through.

Are you talking about lead bullets? I'd use plated bullets. I forget at what velocity lead fouling begins to really increase, but I'm pretty sure 22LR passes it.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    My reasons for a dedicated upper: 1:16 twist barrel , no gas tube to plug up with carbon , no need to shoot .223 to clear it. I also don't clean it as often bc it's dedicated for .22lr. If I shot both out of 1 rifle, I would definitely clean after each outing.

Top Bottom