AR-15 .22 conversion kit...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I'd buy the stainless, but if you're tight on money, use the $30 towards an extra mag or 2, and don't worry about it. My parked one has been polished up for smoother operation, and I've yet to see a speck of rust on it since it gets lubed a good bit.

On the subject if gas tube pluggage, the spikes kits come with a plug for the FSB. You remove the gas tube, install the plug and bang (or pop) away. Reinstall gas tube later when wanting to shoot 5.56.

gravytrain

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Lafayette
    What type of ammo are yall shooting with the conversion kit? Yesterday I took mine to the range with winchester 550 pk and it was a nightmare, every 3rd shot was a hangup... :curse: I called the guy I got it from and he told me to try the federal 500 pk next time and see. Not sure what else would be causing all these hangups.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    No hangups?

Each kit is different in which it likes. buy a few different kinds, and when you find one that it likes, stock up on that same lot #. I bought probably ~40 of the federal 550 packs from wallyworld a long time back (while waiting for my dedicated upper to be built) when I had read on the internet that the price was going up like $4.xx per pack. Wouldn't you know that my kit does not like them that much? Funny thing is that it will run through the cheap-ass thunderbolts with boring reliability. I usually get the Federal Auto-Match bulk packs now, they come in a 325 pack at walmart for a bit under $13, and are much more accurate and consistent, have a slightly heavier bullet (40 gr vs. 36) and cycle better in my application. The winchester 333's are pretty good as well, and are copper washed.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Each kit is different in which it likes. buy a few different kinds, and when you find one that it likes, stock up on that same lot #. I bought probably ~40 of the federal 550 packs from wallyworld a long time back (while waiting for my dedicated upper to be built) when I had read on the internet that the price was going up like $4.xx per pack. Wouldn't you know that my kit does not like them that much? Funny thing is that it will run through the cheap-ass thunderbolts with boring reliability. I usually get the Federal Auto-Match bulk packs now, they come in a 325 pack at walmart for a bit under $13, and are much more accurate and consistent, have a slightly heavier bullet (40 gr vs. 36) and cycle better in my application. The winchester 333's are pretty good as well, and are copper washed.

My mileage was similiar. As a general rule of thumb, higher velcity seems to work better. i know my Advantage Arms Glock kit hates the Federal, but my Spikes upper and kitt will eat it all day,.

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.

What he said. Mine loves Remington HP 550 packs and won't function at all with the Federals (neither will my P22 Walther) so you must find what yours prefers.

Be well.
    Al

critterdoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Kenner, LA
    What type of ammo are yall shooting with the conversion kit? Yesterday I took mine to the range with winchester 550 pk and it was a nightmare, every 3rd shot was a hangup... :curse: I called the guy I got it from and he told me to try the federal 500 pk next time and see. Not sure what else would be causing all these hangups.

Whereyat GT!

Check your hammer profile. If it's notched, changing it to a rounded hammer could make a major difference in operation. The $25 AR-22 Replacement Hammer from Tactical Solutions completely resolved all of the function issues I experienced with with my CMMG S.S. kit in my Daniel Defense M4.

Click here to compare the two hammer profiles, and here for some troubleshooting hints. And BTW, CMMG recommends 36 grain bullets.

Doc

Don't Panic
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Olla, La
    +1 for Spike's Tactical

I have a Spike's tactical .22 kit and a dedicated .22 upper. Both run flawlessly.

Highly reccomended

http://www.spikestactical.com/z/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=72_75&products_id=176

Ask to talk to Tom and tell him Brannon LeBouef sent ya.

i would venture to say it is due to the excessive fouling caused by .22LR ammo.

I tried not too long ago to order one (the kit only) from them, but their website was either down or that particular page was posting HTML code instead of product info.

So I went to Black Dog Machine instead and got the kit + 2 mags there.
    http://blackdogmachinellc.net/spikes-tactical-ar-22-conversion-kits.aspx

On a seperate note, my brother bought one of their (Spike's) 37mm launchers a couple of years ago and it has been a blast, "literally", with the bird-bangers and fireworks. Have one on my SHTF wishlist.

But yeah, I've never had any problems with any product I've used from Spike's. :thumbsup:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom