AR-15 Advice

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shane225

Praying for change in '12
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Walker, La.
    Ok people yall have given me the AR bug. Looking at some of yalls rifles really did me in. Thank you by the way. I want to start out with a pretty basic one and build up from there.

What I'm looking for is quality in the gun makers. I am looking at three. Bushmaster, Smith and Wesson, and Rock River Arms. If the prices were pretty much the same, what would you go with? Things I need to look out for?

Thanks in advance and hopefully I can be on the range with yall soon.

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    If you want to build a quality rifle, watch the classifieds of the big forums. You can easily pick up a complete upper for 400 and a lower for around 250.

shane225

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Walker, La.
    I have been a pistol guy for so long and I am still real new to the terms for the rifile parts. Is the upper and lower sections pretty much the make up of the rifle body?

penguin

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Slidell, LA / NOLA
    Pretty much. You can buy a complete upper and lower or just parts of each and then add what you want to build the rifle. That can be fun, but costly. Or, you can buy a NIB rifle or a gently pre-owned one.

ajt2341

Rock out w/ ur glock out!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    "Lower" refers to the lower receiver (magazine well and houses the trigger pieces), pistol grip and stock.

"Upper" refers to barrel, bolt assembly, handguards, gas tube, rails, sights, muzzle break/flash hider, etc.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    I have a pre S&W made MP15. It runs great. They were outsourced to Stag before S&W took them inhouse. The experiences have been, well kinda like the Razor phone. Either you love it or hate it. Cant go wrong with a RRA. Bill at B&B has some pre-assembly lowers for 275? and then find you a A3 or A4 upper.

Spikers Tactical can get you both a .22lr and a 5.56 for another grand. then you have the best of both worlds, 22 and .223. Their uppers are 500 shipped, with rails and what not.

He did have a few dpms for 750 and a few nice RRA on the shelf under 1000.

I personally try to spend my money were I get my information, and with persons who support the sites I visit on a daily basis, so between here, locally, and Spikes, Larue, Ammomancan, and 44mag, I am set...

LouisianaCarry

Tactibilly
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 14, 2007
    Keithville
    I am a Stag man all the way, but if you want one from the list you provided, I would say RRA.

My choices, price aside for a moment, in order of preference:

LaRue
    Stag
    DPMS
    RRA

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    If you're going to buy the pieces separately then you can't go wrong with RRA lower (go with the National Match trigger) and a LaRue.....or Noveske upper.

That said, I love my RRA Entry Tactical. You can find them around $900-$950 if you look.

fishngrits

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2008
    The Great State of Louisiana
    I can't vouch for the S&W, but I have an RRA midlength carbine, and a Bushmaster 20" rifle, and both are excellent weapons. Buying the lower and upper receivers separately, and buying online, will probably save you a few bucks; unless you have a local dealer you like to support.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    for complete new rifles I felt RRA was the way to go since all complete rifles include the 2 stage national match trigger as standard, as well as a Hogue grip. Now the grip is only a 15-20 buck add on, but that trigger is at least $100 and is an EXCELLENT trigger for any use. I use mine as a patrol rifle and am completely confident in it for everything from slow precision shots to quick close quarters shots.

nola_

Rating - 94.4%
    17   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Nola
    Forget the "brand names". If it's your first one, get something inexpensive so you can handle it/use it without worrying about scratching it. Then step up to the better rifle.

Get a complete lower from Essential Arms

Get a complete upper from model1sales.com

You won't spend more than about $600 - $700.

vsound

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 25, 2006
    Baton Rouge
    If you want to get separate upper and lower, I would suggest looking at www.adcofirearms.com for a RRA lower. That's what I did with my build, but I completely customized from there on out. I went with a piston driven upper (POF). I've been hearing good things about the Adams Arms piston conversion for existing uppers too. Del-ton has pretty good prices on generic uppers (or kits) and has pretty good reviews.

ETA: Whoops, sorry for the wrong link to ADCO. Fixed.

Last edited:

Cajun_Chuck

Premium Certified Cajun
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I have been a pistol guy for so long and I am still real new to the terms for the rifile parts. Is the upper and lower sections pretty much the make up of the rifle body?

Ahhh...I remember those days!

Do your homework. Check out the popular rifle forums, very good resources can be found. What kind of budget are you working with?

I chose a RRA as my entry level rifle. Modified it a little bit, shot her a few times. 300 bucks makes a different between one rifle and another. If you can hold out a paycheck (we still have time before the elections) I would do that and get what you really want, if money is an issue.

Other good choices are STAG (esp if you are left handed), LMT and Bushmaster.

As stated above, you can get a cheap entry level rifle and upgrade it piece by piece as time goes by. Just let us know what you get. Post some pics of it when you do. Good luck. You are now infected.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Those RRA that BB has in stock is the way to go. It is a mid-entry level rifle that has a proven track record. Most of us on the boards have been in the game and know what to look for.

I personally did a month of research on mine after I secured it on layway for 70 bucks. I found out that SW wasn't producing the rifles it was Stag. Since then SW has brought their entire operation in house. So basically I have a Stag with SW markings.

Mine was very basic A4 configuration when I made the purchase. I have since dropped over another G into it.

Your welcome to come out to the Group Shoot next weekend and shoot a variety, just pack some ammo.

shane225

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Walker, La.
    Thanks for all the great advice. Still doing the research and taking it all in. As for my budget, I guess about 1k. I am still planning to go ahead and buy a complete rifle and save the custom build for later. You are right about it being an addictive bug. Right now as far as I can tell in local gun stores, Heberts seems to be the easiest to deal with. Any other local places to check out?

Tiz68

Gun Lover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Morgan City
    I'd go with Bushmaster. That is just me though. :) And for your first one, I would buy the complete rifle and forget about building one. Once you get one and learn all its parts and how it all works, then think about building.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom