AR-15 bolt release install

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    I have put together a few AR lowers on my own, but don't have the right tools to install the bolt release. I am looking for someone in the Metairie/New Orleans area who can help me out. Or the name of a gunsmith who won't charge me much for a two minute job. Thanks.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    All you need is a hammer and punch and some tape to protect the finish. You could go buy what you need cheaper than having someone else do the job. AR15.com is your friend.

Beauxdog

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I agree with beauxdog - especially since you've already put some together your self. In a pinch, with some painters tape protecting things, you can use a pair of pliers to squeeze the roll pin into place. Optionally, you could put a little shim in between the ears in a way that doesn't interfere with the pin, to provide support during the squeeze, but it usually goes pretty easy for me. Just a tip, in case you can't find an agreeable situation with a gun smith or experienced helper.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Just tape off the receiver to prevent damage and use a punch (I recommend a roll pin punch but a regular punch works fine as well) to hammer it in. Super simple. Since I've yet to be succesful in growing a third hand, I do use a small solid pin I cut out of an old drill bit to hold everything in place while installing the roll pin. I also put a little oil on the roll pin before putting it in.

I've heard a lot of people say the pliar method works well, I tried it once and haven't done it since. Mainly because I used a punch to get the pin started (otherwise it's prone to slip), and at that point I figure why not just go ahead and hammer it the rest of the way. Certainly would work in a pinch if you didn't have a punch or hammer though.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I am on the south shore everyday. Give me a shout.

504-274-7828.

I can help u out if you still need it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    I will try and do it on my cheaper build and se how it goes. If it turns out alright I will do it on my more expensive lower. I already put some dings in the cheap lower while hammering in the trigger guard roll pin, so I can't get too mad if I beat it up worse. If I can't do it I will give Jason a call tomorrow.

TruBrew

Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    New Orleans, La
    I was able to do it on my own. I used a hammer and a punch I had. I dont think it was the exact right size, but it worked just fine. The videos kind of made that part look more complicated than the others, but it wasn't that bad. Much easier than the first time I tried to install the front takedown pin. I lost a few springs and pins in that adventure.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    I use tape, to protect the finish. Instead of a hammer and punch I use a pair or slip joint pliers to press the pin in. I do finish the install with a roll pin punch to seat the roll pin past flush.

Top Bottom