AR-15 "build" question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    Hello all, I am a long time lurker, very seldom poster.

I recently finished 'building' an AR-15, I put 'building' in parenthesis because my build mostly consists of a DPMS trigger group, S&W stripped lower, CMMG upper w/unknown brand bold carrier w/extractor and Magpul PRS stock (not currently installed because i need to purchase the correct diameter buffer tube).

Ultimately I would like to create a the lightest AR possible, with the least amount of accessories. IE Magpul flipdown sights, some kind of hologram dot, no laser (unless it's extremely light and low profiled), no light (unless it's extremely light and low profiled), basically barebones.

The question I have today pertains to the bolt carrier. I have done some quick research about a light-weight bolt carrier, in an effort to keep the AR at it's most dieted form. Does one really exist? I am not opposed to spending a bit of cash on a quality piece, but definitely don't want to waste money. If it does exist, is it worth the effort and cash?

Should I just forget about the whole idea of shaving some pounds and invest in a better barrel?

Some background information about the intent of the AR-15 build:
    1. keeping it light for portability
    2. longevity
    3. satisfaction of building my own AR
    4. accuracy for mid to short range
    5. the fewer moving parts to fix (to be easily fixed during the 'SHTF' scenario)

thanks for reading, any kind of input would be greatly appreciated,
    Francis

Cajun_arShooter

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Metairie, SeLa
    Imo if you are leaning towards a "light" weight Ar I would scratch the magpul prs stock and go with a mil-spec or magpul moe stock , and as far as a lightweight bcg they are geared more towards competition shooters the reasons are too many list , I don't think a lightweight bcg would be really trustworthy in case of a shtf situation ,I would stick to a regular mil-spec bcg don't try to shave weight there other than that u r gtg.

Last edited:

dmstr02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Cenla
    That PRS is one heavy SOB! Id go with an M4 type stock or even an A1 or A2 style. Lightweight bbl and stick with plastic handguards with the ranges your are shooting at. Also Id stick with a standard BCG.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    update:

so i decided to go with the ACS stock from Magpul, but the buffertube i ordered is the commercial version, w/o realizing that i had ordered the milspec ACS stock. nonetheless, i am going to goto the gunshow this weekend to search for a milspec buffertube. if anyone has (and wants) to trade my milspec Magpul ACS for a commercial Magpul ACS, i'm open for it.

i also read up that the magpul mbus cannot be mounted onto gas blocks due to the materials it was made of and the amount of heat the gas block would generate. to fix the problem, i purchased the Daniel Defense 7.0 quadrail. i guess my idea of keeping my the AR lightweight just got thrown out the window with my recent purchases.

also, my next purchase would be the adam's arms retrofit piston setup. with the reviews i've read, version 2 would be the one to get, to prevent carrier tilting. the version 2 comes with adam's arms own bolt carrier with reinforced bottoms to prevent the tilt.

thanks everyone for the replies.

cornbread556

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Natchitoches Parish
    I have yet to figure out why even one wants to go to a piston. The problems with ARs has never been the gas tube. Just lack of good cleaning and proper lube. Use the money your going to spend on that on your optic budget. Definitely get a light weight barrel. The DD quad rail should free float it.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    The question I have today pertains to the bolt carrier. I have done some quick research about a light-weight bolt carrier, in an effort to keep the AR at it's most dieted form. Does one really exist? I am not opposed to spending a bit of cash on a quality piece, but definitely don't want to waste money. If it does exist, is it worth the effort and cash?

Should I just forget about the whole idea of shaving some pounds and invest in a better barrel?

Some background information about the intent of the AR-15 build:
    1. keeping it light for portability
    2. longevity
    3. satisfaction of building my own AR
    4. accuracy for mid to short range
    5. the fewer moving parts to fix (to be easily fixed during the 'SHTF' scenario)

thanks for reading, any kind of input would be greatly appreciated,
    Francis
    Yes, there is a Super-light carrier. Young MFG makes it http://www.youngmanufacturing.net/product-info.php?pid135.html

also, my next purchase would be the adam's arms retrofit piston setup. with the reviews i've read, version 2 would be the one to get, to prevent carrier tilting. the version 2 comes with adam's arms own bolt carrier with reinforced bottoms to prevent the tilt.

thanks everyone for the replies.

If you want a piston gun, buy an upper that was designed for the piston, and don't use a "retrofit" kit, as it pretty much negates your #5 in your first post. If you are dead-set on using a piston conversion kit, I would recommend going with one of these buffers. http://www.firearmreadysolutions.com/

Also, what you basically desribed in your fist post (except for #3), sounds like an RJF Katana.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    got a new AR question today.

upon completing my AR (never been fired), i loaded a few empty cartridges into a magpul magazine, inserted the magazine and chambered an empty round. i proceeded to try to rack another round when the problem occurs. it is extremely difficult to pull back on the charging handle. i even separated the upper from the lower and apply more force. i was able to remove the empty cartridge after using excessive force.

is this typical of an AR that has not been 'broken in'

after doing a quick break down of the upper, i have concluded that the bolt is getting hung up on the bolt carrier. maybe if i can a few hundred rounds at the range, the problem would cure itself? essentially wearing down on the areas thats being 'hung up'.

some quick answers would be nice, since there is a gunshow in kenner tomorrow (sunday) and i can easily purchase a new bolt.

thanks for the help.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Oil the crap out of the bolt. It's supposed to "hang", the gas rings at the rear of the bolt are designed to fit tightly in the carrier. It will break in a lottle with use, but there should always be some friction there.

And feeding empty casings isn't really going to accomplish anything, and I wouldn't recommend it. Get somendummy rounds, or carefully use live rounds if you want to test the action. And if their is a problem with the bolt, it should display the same characteristics whether or not there's a round in the chamber.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    I would use some kind of snap cap or dummy round instead of a spent cartridge. When you say bolt getting hung up in the bolt carrier, can you elaborate more on this? The gas rings may be really tight, as they are new, and should wear in pretty quick with use.

ETA: Evidently Speedracer can type a bit faster than me

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I was going to post something about "making" dummy rounds, but... based on the general trend of the thread... decided it'd be pretty irresponsible of me. :squint:

So advice was requested, sound advice was given-- what'd you end up putting together, OP? Inquiring minds wanna know.

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    thanks everyone for the words of wisdom

based off of what everyone is saying, i won't go with a lighter BCG. the piston AR was a just a thought, and i'll have some more updates after i take the rifle to the range.

as of right now, my build goes as such:

M&P15 stripped lower
    DPMS Trigger Group
    CMMG 16" Upper w/BCG
    Daniel Defense 7.0 EZ
    Magpul ACS Milspec
    Magpul MBUS
    Single rail gas block
    Magpul Magazines

What was supposed to be a light AR build is no longer... But still, I don't plan on decking it out with all kinds of gadgetry. I will probably add some kind of hologram sight within a week.

again, thanks
    francis

Top Bottom