AR-15 stock length question.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    For my midlength 16" rifle build, I'm considering several stock options. My primary concern is length (as in length of pull) since it appears that both carbine and rifle length extension tubes will work fine. The length of pull that seems to fit me best is an M4-style adjustable stock (RRA 6-position to be exact) that is fully extended. I'm leaning toward using an A1 or A2 stock so that I can use the rifle length extension tubes and because with a middy, it just looks "more right" to me. With this in mind, does anyone know the dimensions of an A1 or A2 rifle stock. I've found that the ACE Skeleton stock is 9.9 inches long and uses a rifle extension tube. I've also found that A1 stocks are 5/8" shorter than A2 stocks. I've just not been able to put a short and accurate list together of stock lengths.

Any help is much appreciated-

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    Thanks guys, so thus far the consensus is:

ACE Skeleton: 9.9"
    A1: 10"
    A2: 10 5/8"
    M4 (extended): 11"

So I'm thinking that If I want a rifle-length buffer extension, and a long length of pull I'd probably be best-served by the plain ole' A2.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I really like the LMT SOPMOD but its price made the baby Jesus weep. The VLTOR Clubfoot comes in a rifle length also IIRC.

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    I really like the LMT SOPMOD but its price made the baby Jesus weep. The VLTOR Clubfoot comes in a rifle length also IIRC.

Update: I somehow came across a LMT SOPMOD for free. I've got a buddy with a "spare" :eek3: This stock requires a Mil Spec buffer tube. Is it safe to assume that a milspec buffer tube will fit my Rock River receiver?

DesmoDucRob

#1 Dad
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Denham Springs
    +1

I replaced the tube on my RR lower with a milspec, no problems. I'd order a new castle nut in case you jack yours up getting it off (like I did).

I'm starting with a stripped lower, rather than a replacement, so I'm hoping It'll be easy. This put me back in "budget build" range again. This is looking like one heck of a budget build :D

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom