AR-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cajun Justice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    New Orleans
    For my next gun purchase I have come to the decision that I want to get an AR-15. After evaluating a couple different rifles it came down to the AR-15 or the FN FAL, and personally I think the AR is a better fit for me. My questions to the forum are: What brands are good? Which brand is best for the money instead of paying for a name? Where would be a good place to find a decent AR?

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    The answer is.. "It all depends"
    What is the purpose of the AR 15? Home defense, 3 gun competition, range plinking? Features?? Price range??
    You can pick up a mid $600 basic AR from a variety of makers, you can build one your self for a bit less, or you can spend cubic $$$ for the latest greatest thing. Decide what it's purpose is, then you will know what features you need, and then you can start shopping for the best deal. You can pick up a New Freedom Armory complete lower for about $109, and buy an assembled upper in the upper configuration and barrel lentgh you want from one of the online vendors for around $450-$550. I put together a Vietnam style A2 with triangle handguards for about $650, YMMV.
    Of course the FAL is a different breed of beast and I love mine also, however it is a different type of batttle rifle, suited for a different set of criteria.

Cajun Justice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    New Orleans
    I want something at a reasonable price that can be versatile (i.e. home defense, hunting, ranges, etc.) The FAL is definitely a beast, but after doing my research reading opinions and specs I think I want to go with an AR first. I have heard things about some brands as opposed to others e.g. "Don't go with this brand go with this one." In regards to features I am thinking 14.5" barrel with flat top and a rail under the barrel for a fore grip. The price range is what I want to get an estimate on so I know what to expect. The AR will most likely be basic and I am willing to buy used if anyone knows a guy.

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Good brands, DD, BCM, Colt.

Colt 6920s at Walmart for $1000

Factor in other costs:

Optic
    Light
    Sing
    Mags
    Ammo
    And more importantly - training

I would say 2k should get you everything you need.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If you're budget is $600, PSA makes great rifles. If you can spare some more change get a Colt 6920 like Goteron mentioned above. I like mine.

Cajun Justice

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2012
    New Orleans
    I have seen the Colts they are nice and not terribly expensive considering some AR's go for twice as much basic. The Wal-Marts here don't sell firearms. I have been trying to find an authorized Colt dealer around here. I think Academy and Cabela's have Colt AR's.

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    I have seen the Colts they are nice and not terribly expensive considering some AR's go for twice as much basic. The Wal-Marts here don't sell firearms. I have been trying to find an authorized Colt dealer around here. I think Academy and Cabela's have Colt AR's.

Cross the lake and the Wal-Marts sell ARs it would be worth the gas

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Order online and have it shipped to an ffl. No matter what you decide to buy, that will be the better price especially after taxes.

Cajun_Tiger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Lafayette
    I did a little bit of looking before I purchased my AR....ended up going with Daniel Defense DDM4 V5 LW. Top notch quality and love how it felt in my hands. In the end it what fits ur needs and what feels more comfortable for you.

chad

Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I did a little bit of looking before I purchased my AR....ended up going with Daniel Defense DDM4 V5 LW. Top notch quality and love how it felt in my hands. In the end it what fits ur needs and what feels more comfortable for you.

That's a very nice rifle. Good choice you will be happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Top Bottom