Ar Barrel Length Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    I know by federal law, you can legally own a rifle with a 16" barrel minimum. I am looking at getting a rifle with a barrel length of 14.5" or 10.5" (haven't decided on which one yet). What I'm wondering is, what stamp or license do I need in order to get a barrel that length, how much is it and where do I get it? Any and all help will be much appreciated. I looked at the sticky at the top of the forum, but could not find exactly what I need answering.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Anything under 16" will require an NFA tax stamp. You will have to file the paperwork with BATFE and send them a $200 check and wait. If you do a search you will find a lot of info on here about NFA items.

Also you can get a 14.5" bbl and attach a flash suppressor that is permanent, it has to be pinned.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    My question for you before making your decision would be...

Is 1.5" really worth all that paper work, waiting and $200?

As previously mentioned, you can get a 14.5 with a pinned flash hider at much greater ease. Really, unless you're going with the 10.5 or shorter, it's my humble opinion that you're needlessly spinning your wheels. YMMV, of course-- it's your decision in the end.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    My question for you before making your decision would be...

Is 1.5" really worth all that paper work, waiting and $200?

As previously mentioned, you can get a 14.5 with a pinned flash hider at much greater ease. Really, unless you're going with the 10.5 or shorter, it's my humble opinion that you're needlessly spinning your wheels. YMMV, of course-- it's your decision in the end.
    I agree with you about the waste of time and money for only a 1.5" shorter bbl. If I could only get what I wanted in the 14.5" the I would deff have the flash hider/suppressor pinned.

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    I plan on using this as a patrol rifle. Im looking at getting the Bushmaster ACR. I looking at getting the 10.5" barrel as an entry weapon and getting the conversion for 6.8 SPC with an 18" barrel for sniper applications.

Last edited:

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I plan on using this as a patrol rifle. Im looking at getting the Bushmaster ACR. I looking at getting the 10.5" barrel as an entry weapon and getting the conversion for 6.8 SPC with an 18" barrel for sniper applications.

Now that sounds like a good plan, and certainly worth the time and effort to register the SBR. A 10.5" is definitely going to yield benefits-- for entry and for riding in a vehicle with the weapon at the ready.

Or you could convince your department to issue them to all of the officers. IIRC, that gets around a lot of the hassle-- and I'd rather have my tax dollars spent on that than some other BS, failing, problem causing social program. :D

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Or you could convince your department to issue them to all of the officers. IIRC, that gets around a lot of the hassle-- and I'd rather have my tax dollars spent on that than some other BS, failing, problem causing social program. :D
    See if you can make the NFA issue your CLEO's problem. Otherwise, I'd just go with a 16" barrel and save myself the hassle.

Top Bottom