AR Barrel Questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShooT_SpoTs

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Baton rouge, La
    Starting a New AR build. Uncertain on which barrel to get, need advice... Thinking going for a midrange target type rifle (5.56) - 18-20" barrel.
    This is what I have/decided on so far:
    Black Rain Ordnance Billet Lower (Fallout15)
    Black Rain Ordnance billet upper
    Seekins SAR 12" handguard
    Magpul UBR stock

While writing this I see McGowen precision barrel advertisement ... checked them out but they only have 16" barrel ... any experience with them?

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I'm just getting into this realm, so am not a good person to talk to. PM Mickey or Ritten.

If you're building a dedicated 500+ yard rifle, you may want to decide on a different caliber.

Snipershide and accurateshooter.com are good sources as well.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    look into 6.8spc great, 600 yard round, and in states that restrict calibers for deer, it can still be used...

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    If you going with the 223/5.56 you will want 24 to 26" of barrel with a 1in7 or 1in8 twist to shoot the 77-82 grain bullets, a 55 or 62 will NEVER make it that far and be on your target.

If something other than a 22 I would go with the 6mmHagar but you will have to reload.

The 6.8 at 600 yards? Yea right

Buck

RStewart

Not Easily Impressed
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Gonzales, LA
    If you going with the 223/5.56 you will want 24 to 26" of barrel with a 1in7 or 1in8 twist to shoot the 77-82 grain bullets, a 55 or 62 will NEVER make it that far and be on your target.

If something other than a 22 I would go with the 6mmHagar but you will have to reload.

Buck

I would follow Buck's advice. He knows his stuff about AR's.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell

Buck

I'm going to be making an attempt with the 82gr Bergers.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Junior team... I hate my high school for not having a shooting team. Then again, Guam isn't even 100y long so it wouldn't work anyways. :)

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    I have some cousins in Guam, both were in the Air Force. Got out and never came back, they were from middle of no where Nebraska so I dont blame them one bit.

sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Man....I needed that laugh!
    Yea yea you caught me when I was just waking up.... couldnt think straight... On the other hand I used to have a RRA Varmit .223 upper with a 24" SS Bull barrel, man that shot great!! had a 1 in 8 twist(not the best), but the good ammo was pretty much one hole at 100 yards, it eve made Tula shoot at MOA!!!! I miss that gun, when in WA I would shoot it at a shovel at 600 yards, and hit it damn near every-time(never got to group it out there public land so I couldn't drive out there), it was soo much fun... But I had to sell it to fund my move down here :( man I miss that gun!!!) here it is with a cheap ass scope!!! man I want it back :wtc:

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    Yes Rick you are correct!

I did minimal testing with the 82 Berger at magazine length at 600 in a 26" AR upper it was ok.

Akajun is also correct, the Pennsylvania team shot thousands at mag length with great success.

Personally I still prefer the the 80 Berger VLD in my service gun and bolt rifle, NOT at mag length. I recently tried the new 80.5 Berger in the infamous bolt gun that my daughter used but couldn't equal the same gain as I did over the Sierra 80. I plan on giving the 80.5 another look in the service gun now that I have a new barrel on it.

Honestly you really give up quite a bit with the 223 at 600 yards I know it looks equal on paper compared to the 308 with 155's but on the range it's a significant difference and the 30 cal sucks when compared to the 6mm's but what do I know.

Buck

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Yes Rick you are correct!

I did minimal testing with the 82 Berger at magazine length at 600 in a 26" AR upper it was ok.

Akajun is also correct, the Pennsylvania team shot thousands at mag length with great success.

Personally I still prefer the the 80 Berger VLD in my service gun and bolt rifle, NOT at mag length. I recently tried the new 80.5 Berger in the infamous bolt gun that my daughter used but couldn't equal the same gain as I did over the Sierra 80. I plan on giving the 80.5 another look in the service gun now that I have a new barrel on it.

Honestly you really give up quite a bit with the 223 at 600 yards I know it looks equal on paper compared to the 308 with 155's but on the range it's a significant difference and the 30 cal sucks when compared to the 6mm's but what do I know.

Buck

What would you recommend as a bullet weigh on a 24" Krieger with a 1:7.7 twist. It's an AR and I want to load at mag length. Shooting at 600.

BKliebert

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    South, La
    I would try the 82 and the 80.5 you are going to be at a disadvantage by running at mag length. The more bullet you have in the case means that there is less powder in the case so velocity will be down.

I hope you can read the wind!

I would use Winchester commertial brass and a Remington 7.5 or Wolf primer. Powder would be 8208XBR, Reloader15, Varget or if you have any AA-2520 id give it a try, my fastest 80 grain loads out of a 20" service rifle were with it.
    When you test loads and switch powders load 10 of each powder use the last 5 shots to determine grouping, some powders don't play we'll with others and will take a few shots to settle down.

Buck

Top Bottom